Author Topic: 2024 MLB Season  (Read 18167 times)

2024 MLB Season
« on: December 15, 2023, 05:20:25 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
So the Dodgers got Ohtani, and now they traded for Glasnow and Margot, and are signing Glasnow to a 5-year, $135M extension (probably paying him $2M and deferring the rest for a decade ;D). Good grief, is there anyone the Dodgers can't get?

Sure is a different approach from Boston's, huh?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 01:57:58 PM by Redz »
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Re: 2023-24 MLB Offseason
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2023, 02:04:28 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
Rocknroll, here's more for the Dodgers:

Star Japanese right-hander Yoshinobu Yamamoto has agreed to terms to join the  Los Angeles Dodgers, according to ESPN. The deal is worth $325 million for 12 years, sources say.

Next thing you know, they'll sign Lionel Messi and LeBron James. LA Dodgers the new LA Lakers, signing all these stars and forming superteam

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2023, 07:38:39 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
These deferred payments going to hurt small markets team cause big market will have money till end of time
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 09:19:35 AM by Birdman »
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2023, 08:07:03 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
These deferred payments going to hurt small markets team cause big market will have money till end of tit

I agree.

I’ve been a long supporter of a hard cap in baseball to create more parity but a lot of folks don’t like it.

I think banning deferred money and significantly raising minimum payroll requirements might be something that can be more universally agreed upon
Greg

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2023, 08:50:01 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Star Japanese right-hander Yoshinobu Yamamoto has agreed to terms to join the  Los Angeles Dodgers, according to ESPN. The deal is worth $325 million for 12 years, sources say.

Next thing you know, they'll sign Lionel Messi and LeBron James. LA Dodgers the new LA Lakers, signing all these stars and forming superteam

Wow.  They added Glasnow and Yamamoto to their pitching staff, along with their lineup of MVP candidates.

It makes sense.  The Dodgers *should* spend.  They're the #2 team in MLB revenue.  #3?  The Boston Red Sox.  The difference is that the Red Sox use their franchise for profit (#3 in baseball), rather than reinvesting it into the team.  While teams like the Dodgers and Yankees are bringing in $14 million - $16 million in operating revenue (profits), the Red Sox are raking in $72 million.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 08:55:58 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2023, 09:05:39 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
We'll see if they surprise us and make some moves, but honestly the way it's trending I probably won't have much if any interest in the Red Sox next season. The last few years have already been rough with all the penny-pinching, lack of trade deadline activity, etc. Even now it sounds like they are just gonna stay under the luxury tax. Cool.

I'm not gonna say that you shouldn't go to a game if you want to enjoy the experience maybe with kids or younger folks during the summer, but having Fenway looking empty for most of this season would certainly send a message. TV ratings were already dropping for the Sox as is since 2021.

The MLB literally added an extra playoff spot to each league, and both years the Sox came last in the division and frankly finished pretty far from the 6th spot in the AL. That's just pathetic for what's supposed to be a "big market/historic" franchise.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2023, 09:38:39 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999

Wow.  They added Glasnow and Yamamoto to their pitching staff, along with their lineup of MVP candidates.

It makes sense.  The Dodgers *should* spend.  They're the #2 team in MLB revenue.  #3?  The Boston Red Sox.  The difference is that the Red Sox use their franchise for profit (#3 in baseball), rather than reinvesting it into the team.  While teams like the Dodgers and Yankees are bringing in $14 million - $16 million in operating revenue (profits), the Red Sox are raking in $72 million.

Investing on team helps make profit for them. Of course the Red Sox have clueless ownership/leadership running the show. Sign a guy like Shohei and you'll generate tons of revenue and skyrocketing prices lol

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2023, 11:40:59 AM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1807

Investing on team helps make profit for them. Of course the Red Sox have clueless ownership/leadership running the show. Sign a guy like Shohei and you'll generate tons of revenue and skyrocketing prices lol

I'm confused, how can Red Sox ownership be clueless and also be #3 in revenue and profit for MLB?  BTW, they need to sign a #1 pitcher...maybe Snell?
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2023, 11:51:52 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
They need to sign Montgomery AND EITHER sign Imanaga OR trade for a pitcher like Burnes.

Short of that, it'll be a very disappointing offseason yet again for this team, and the rotation will still have a bunch of question marks going in
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2023, 12:16:22 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'm confused, how can Red Sox ownership be clueless and also be #3 in revenue and profit for MLB?  BTW, they need to sign a #1 pitcher...maybe Snell?

I don't think they're clueless, at least at the ownership level.  I think they're making a fully informed decision to maximize profits. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2023, 12:17:56 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Amazing how an ownership that has won 4 titles in 20 years has managed to almost completely alienate their fanbase.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2023, 12:18:51 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

I don't think they're clueless, at least at the ownership level.  I think they're making a fully informed decision to maximize profits.

Does that include the $67 they're gonna get from the Wasabi Bowl?  ;)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2023, 12:32:39 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Amazing how an ownership that has won 4 titles in 20 years has managed to almost completely alienate their fanbase.

It's because they don't seem to care. Totally uninterested in their baseball team, much more interested in Liverpool and the Penguins. But yes they're paying attention to the Benjamins rolling in.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2023, 12:35:36 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Meanwhile the Dodgers have undergone baseball's first billion dollar offseason with the $325m signing of Yoshinobu Yamamoto to go with the $700m for Shohei.

https://www.wsj.com/sports/baseball/yamamoto-ohtani-dodgers-mlb-52a03883?mod=hp_lead_pos11
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2023, 01:01:40 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

It's because they don't seem to care. Totally uninterested in their baseball team, much more interested in Liverpool and the Penguins. But yes they're paying attention to the Benjamins rolling in.

30 teams wanted Yamamoto. 29 teams failed to get Yamamoyo. did all 29 of those teams not "care?" did the mets, whose offer the dodgers matched, not care? did the yamkees who offered $300 million not care? or SF who also begged yamamoto to please take $300 million of their money?

in the typical lamenting of red sox fans we can twist this into "cheap sox ownership" and poor baseball operations. but really it was neither of those things.

the sox were always the longest of shots to land a free agent who was coveted by both the dicky dodgers and the MFY.

with distance and perspective, we will recognize that the team and fans that will find this news terrifying are those following the yankees. the evil empire has migrated west and the MFY were left behind in the same way they routinely left behind other teams.

the stinky yankees pulled out every stop in their pursuit of yamamoto and were leaking through the media that they “were feeling good” about their chances. it is now obvious that they (and all teams but the dodgers) never stood a chance.

it is quite clear that the dodgers told yamamoto to go get the very best offer he could find and they would match it. so, he got the desperate mets to go to $325, and the dodgers matched it as promised, opt outs included.

yamamoto went where he always wanted to be. in this new world when the Dodgers want someone, THEY are now the team that gets him. Mookie? sure. ohtani? easy peasy, it's only money. and now yamamoto.

this very distressing for a MFY fan. (the silver lining i suppose).

us sox fans? this has long been the way for us. twist it how you want, it is disappointing, but it was not a lack of "care" by sox owners.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva