Author Topic: Smart leading Grizz to 0 and 4 start  (Read 7996 times)

Re: Smart leading Grizz to 0 and 4 start
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2023, 12:17:27 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1441
Watching my first 1 minute of Smart playing now

Soon as he come in he turned the the ball over with a bad pass,

20 seconds latter he jacks up a long three BricK ..

I seen enough , to recognize that pain .

Wow…he ll have to do better to stick

6pts/2ast/2rebs/3TO’s at the half. 3-9 from the field, 0-4 from 3pt. Yeah, I don’t miss that.

It's really incredible that we got Porzingis for Smart and even draft compensation that helped us to obain Holiday. It's not incredible, it's crazy. That is some Stevens wizardry.

Stevens has done an unbelievable job as GM. He doesn’t get enough credit.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2023, 12:52:18 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I don't really get the Smart hate tbh. He's not the issue with MEM, that team has a lot of other issues. Morant is also proving to be a world class moron, and then you have Adams needing season-ending surgery right before the season begins. That roster isn't exactly built well currently.

I actually wonder if Smart could get traded again especially if MEM remains terrible.

Except without Adams and Morant last year, and with Jones as their PG, they were a lot better.

Again, not Smart hate. Just Smart relief.

Sure, but they also had small forward Marcus Smart in Dillon Brooks.  Because that’s who Smart is actually supposed replace in terms of role, not Morant or Jones.  They’ve also added Derrick Rose, who is awful at this point, and he sets minutes on fire.  Full strength Grizzlies will have Smart taking Brooks’ minutes next to Morant, and not Jones’ minutes behind Morant.  With Rose playing terribly, Smart is going to be asked to fill the Jones role than he otherwise would have, but they were looking for a better Brooks with Smart.

With the cost they paid for Smart, I think its fair to say that they thought he could fill both the Brooks and the Jones role. They literally traded Jones for Smart in the deal.

I’m not sure they thought one guy could replace two players with distinctly different roles, much less two players that played a combined 55 minutes a night.  The point is that they didn’t succeed with Jones while Morant and Adams were out.  They succeeded with Jones and Brooks and, for most of that time, Clarke.

Memphis is in trouble, and I don't think Smart was the right player to push in chips for given their needs and assets, but it’s disingenuous to argue, as you did, that the only thing that has changed from last year to this is swapping out Tyus Jones for Marcus Smart.

« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2023, 12:53:59 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1441
Grizzlies lose to the Blazers, falling to 0-6 on the season. Smart had a brutal game.. In 39mins he had 8pts/4ast/3rebs/5TO’s. 4-12 from the field and 0-5 from 3pt.

Brogdon had 24pts/10ast/7reb and Rob chipped in 8pts/10rebs for Portland.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2023, 01:20:25 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
Grizzlies lose to the Blazers, falling to 0-6 on the season. Smart had a brutal game.. In 39mins he had 8pts/4ast/3rebs/5TO’s. 4-12 from the field and 0-5 from 3pt.

I hope Rob gets traded to a team that could play him more minutes. He had 8&10 today in 19mins of action. Too bad they can’t do a double big line up with DA. 

« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2023, 06:56:10 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2487
Why are you guys crapping on Marcus Smart? He's had a good start of the season.

I will crap on Smart any chance I can get.  It's well known I hated that pick and have not liked his game from the beginning.  We needed size in that draft and Randle was sitting right there for us.

Randle was still on the board and Danny drafted Marcus Smart ?  OMG.
Obviously, I did not follow that draft very closely, but that is unbelievable.
I do remember Danny saying that Red always liked "instigators" on a team and that Marcus fit that role.

That's interesting that you missed that.  Because I've complained about that on draft day and since then about a 100 times.

Just seemed like an absolute no brainer talent wise. Smart made it close early on, but eventually real talent shows. And Randle is the superior player.

Do you ever go into a game wondering "how are we going to stop Julius Randle?"

I sure don't.

He gets a lot of attention because he's in New York. He puts up ststs. But IMO it is all smoke and mirrors.

« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2023, 07:31:27 AM »

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Why are you guys crapping on Marcus Smart? He's had a good start of the season.

I will crap on Smart any chance I can get.  It's well known I hated that pick and have not liked his game from the beginning.  We needed size in that draft and Randle was sitting right there for us.

Randle was still on the board and Danny drafted Marcus Smart ?  OMG.
Obviously, I did not follow that draft very closely, but that is unbelievable.
I do remember Danny saying that Red always liked "instigators" on a team and that Marcus fit that role.

That's interesting that you missed that.  Because I've complained about that on draft day and since then about a 100 times.

Just seemed like an absolute no brainer talent wise. Smart made it close early on, but eventually real talent shows. And Randle is the superior player.

Do you ever go into a game wondering "how are we going to stop Julius Randle?"

I sure don't.

He gets a lot of attention because he's in New York. He puts up ststs. But IMO it is all smoke and mirrors.

Randle’s always been an empty stats guy. Kind of a worse Paul Milsap, in terms of on-court function & impact (or a hungover Al Jefferson, if you like) Smart was the superior choice at the time, and their respective careers have certainly validated Ainge’s choice.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2023, 07:55:19 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 874
  • GOT IT!!!
Talk about eating your own, Memphis has big problems and Smart is down the list of those. That team has ZERO shooting outside of a guy that gets hunted on defense. Now they have no size to go along with it. They aren’t making the playoffs this season regardless of what Smart does.

« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2023, 08:13:29 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
I haven’t watched a Grizz game but Smart’s been putting up decent stats. Lots of steals, if you’re into fantasy sports :laugh:
- LilRip

« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2023, 09:51:41 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2959
  • On To Banner 18!
I don't really get the Smart hate tbh. He's not the issue with MEM, that team has a lot of other issues. Morant is also proving to be a world class moron, and then you have Adams needing season-ending surgery right before the season begins. That roster isn't exactly built well currently.

I actually wonder if Smart could get traded again especially if MEM remains terrible.

Except without Adams and Morant last year, and with Jones as their PG, they were a lot better.

Again, not Smart hate. Just Smart relief.

I probably should have clarified, I don't mean Smart shouldn't get any criticism, and trading him away, as sad as it was, probably was the right move. I've mentioned that in the other threads as well. But Memphis just has way more issues and even when Smart has good games, he ironically doesn't seem to have much support around him besides Bane. I was more so referencing the comments on Page 1 and 2 of this thread which is definitely filled with more hateful comments.

With all that said though, Memphis may have overachieved last year tbh. I mean, as soon as they made the playoffs they basically got pantsed by the Lakers immediately. I think adding Smart was seen as a move to help them add grit/toughness, but they are missing Morant/Adams AND as much as people clown on Brooks, he was big for them especially on defense and they lost him too.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2023, 09:59:09 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366

I hope Rob gets traded to a team that could play him more minutes. He had 8&10 today in 19mins of action. Too bad they can’t do a double big line up with DA.

do we know if you can play him more than 19minutes though and not get injured?

I loved Rob here, but I'm not sure he'll ever get back to the potential we saw in that brief time in 2022 before his knee injury. may just be a quality rotation big at this point.

as far as smart goes, not sure what people expect. he's a very high quality roleplayer. he's not a "star" by any means. I think alot of celtics fans forget that because of his tenure on the team and how "he" viewed himself within the hierarchy of brown/tatum

« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2023, 10:03:20 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2959
  • On To Banner 18!

I loved Rob here, but I'm not sure he'll ever get back to the potential we saw in that brief time in 2022 before his knee injury. may just be a quality rotation big at this point

If he could, Brad wouldn't have traded him or acquired Holiday. Unfortunately Timelord is just injury prone, and sounds like he always will be assuming some of the reports have been right that his knee issue is a nagging, chronic one.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2023, 10:16:45 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Smart gave his all to the Celtics. He was inconsistent and needed someone to put him in his place as a role player and I think an energy guy off the bench. None of that is Smart's fault but he did drive me crazy. I wish him the best in Memphis which I don't think is the place for him. He needed to be on a team with strong veteran leadership. 

« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2023, 10:21:10 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552
Smart gave his all to the Celtics. He was inconsistent and needed someone to put him in his place as a role player and I think an energy guy off the bench. None of that is Smart's fault but he did drive me crazy. I wish him the best in Memphis which I don't think is the place for him. He needed to be on a team with strong veteran leadership.
That's funny because strong veteran leadership is certainly one of the things Memphis expects to get out of Smart. 

« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2023, 10:38:26 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366

I loved Rob here, but I'm not sure he'll ever get back to the potential we saw in that brief time in 2022 before his knee injury. may just be a quality rotation big at this point

If he could, Brad wouldn't have traded him or acquired Holiday. Unfortunately Timelord is just injury prone, and sounds like he always will be assuming some of the reports have been right that his knee issue is a nagging, chronic one.

yeah, theres no way brad trades rob if he thinks he's a 15/10 guy who he can play 30minutes a night.

this may just be what Rob Williams is/remains. a very good rotation big.

« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2023, 10:40:30 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552

I don't believe that because it would make Brad an idiot.  Acquiring Holiday was a very good move to help the team plus it kept him away from one of our competitors.  He probably would have ended up with either the Clippers or the Sixers.  Embiid, Maxey, Holiday and Harris would have put the Sixers on tier 1 in the East with the Celts and Bucks.