Author Topic: Lakers in trouble?  (Read 2351 times)

Lakers in trouble?
« on: October 30, 2023, 12:52:28 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Fun early overreaction topic for us Celtics fans, but are lakers in trouble? They are 1-2 only using a 4th quarter rally to beat a suns squad down Booker and Beal. They have already had to go over their minutes restriction for Lebron twice including 39 minutes last night in an overtime loss. Biggest causes for alarm for me are that Vincent looks like a bust (or maybe I should say how he looked the rest of his career outside last years playoff run) and the league seems to be targeting reeves weaknesses more this year (and he is off to an awful start). Prince looks like a nice get but the rest of the roster besides ad and Lebron really seems mediocre right now. Are they closer to a middle of the pack team than a contender? 

Re: Lakers in trouble?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2023, 01:17:06 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I don't think there should be any concern about that team being a contender come spring.  Last season's run as a bit fluky and unless multiple injuries outdo the contenders, the Lakers aren't sniffing coming out of the west.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2023, 01:42:29 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Prior to the season I put down a couple of bets that they’d be in the play-in games, and nothing about their performance to date makes me regret that.  They are who I thought they were.

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2023, 01:58:57 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1441
Didn’t they start off poorly last season as well? If AD and Lebron are healthy enough for the second half of the year, I expect them to be in the playoffs. Russell, Reeves, Vanderbilt, Lebron, AD with Vincent, Prince, Hachimura and Wood off the bench is a pretty good rotation. Well, on paper at least…
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2023, 02:13:00 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
Didn’t they start off poorly last season as well? If AD and Lebron are healthy enough for the second half of the year, I expect them to be in the playoffs. Russell, Reeves, Vanderbilt, Lebron, AD with Vincent, Prince, Hachimura and Wood off the bench is a pretty good rotation. Well, on paper at least…

They just arent very good defensively. Offense shouldn't be an issue.
ok fine

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2023, 03:19:05 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
Healthy AD and LeBron and company such as Vanderbilt, Russell etc will take them to places but short of a Finals berth.

C's are 2-0 but almost started off 0-2 if not for late 4th quarter rallies. We need to play better and actually bury teams than letting the foot off the pedal.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2023, 03:42:59 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Healthy AD and LeBron and company such as Vanderbilt, Russell etc will take them to places but short of a Finals berth.

C's are 2-0 but almost started off 0-2 if not for late 4th quarter rallies. We need to play better and actually bury teams than letting the foot off the pedal.

I’m honestly confused why people keep mentioning Vanderbilt. He was at the fringe of their playoff rotation playing 13 mins a game against nuggets and 14 against warriors. He is like their 7th best player? I’m picturing a lakers fan saying as long as the Celtics have porzginas, Tatum brown and hauser they will be solid…

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2023, 04:05:36 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Honestly I find this obsession with the Lakers pathetic. Maybe we should also make a topic about the Heat, the Knicks or the Cavaliers how they're in trouble since they also have a 1-2 record?

Come on. I know about the historical rivalry, but this is beyond reasonable.
Be a proud Celtic first and worry about others later or not at all.

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2023, 04:15:15 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Honestly I find this obsession with the Lakers pathetic. Maybe we should also make a topic about the Heat, the Knicks or the Cavaliers how they're in trouble since they also have a 1-2 record?

Come on. I know about the historical rivalry, but this is beyond reasonable.
Be a proud Celtic first and worry about others later or not at all.
I mean if you are interested in discussing them you can certainly make threads on those teams. To me they are some of the more boring teams in the conference right now. Heat dramatically need to make another move as they lost several rotation players and butler is now 34. Knicks need a real star level player to be a contender, will be a 45-50 win good regular season team until they consolidate talent for someone like Embid. Cavs need a leap from Mobley or garland. Meanwhile the lakers were in wcf last year, having a top 3 player of all time in the end of his career and are our greatest historical rival. For better or worse that is interesting to a lot of people.

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2023, 04:57:06 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Harden will be a Laker soon

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2023, 07:05:41 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
If I’ve learned anything watching basketball over the years it’s that if the lakers start off the season badly, they’ll usually get whatever they need to make a huge leap at the trade deadline without having to give up anything in return.

Greg

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2023, 07:24:11 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
If I’ve learned anything watching basketball over the years it’s that if the lakers start off the season badly, they’ll usually get whatever they need to make a huge leap at the trade deadline without having to give up anything in return.

While others may question how it's possible that the Celtics obtain All Stars in Holiday and Porzingis for just a couple of good role players in Smart, Brogdon and Williams. Ridiculous to have arguably 5 top 40 players in your starting line-up.

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2023, 07:26:02 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
WT
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 07:52:26 PM by Neurotic Guy »

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2023, 07:27:43 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415