Author Topic: A. Sherrod Blakely tweet about Sully  (Read 40301 times)

Re: A. Sherrod Blakely tweet about Sully
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2014, 12:01:43 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
This team has all the makings of a dysfunctional locker room. Zero roster stability, zero playing time stability, young coach, no great assistants, best players in contract years, arguably best player just traded, losing pretty consistently.

Let the tanking or continual trade talk begin, because the on the court stuff seems to be pretty forgettable these days.

« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2014, 12:03:48 AM »

Offline Kadin

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 29
Where are all the stat gurus who claimed Sulky was a good defender?

And also, why is Stevens not finding more minutes for Olynyk? Maybe he regresses back to his earlier play, but he's earned a shot at getting more minutes.

*post simple on court/off court splits* = "stat guru"

You're using hindsight to validate a claim that wasn't correct at the time it was made. When you were forcing the point that Sully was a bad defender, there wasn't a single bit of evidence to support that claim. In the following week or two he's played like crap, particularly on defense. Now you want to say that because of evidence exhibited after you made that claim, the claim suddenly becomes correct at the time you made it? I don't think it works like that. You guessed and the past couple weeks have been lucky ones for you.

If you want to argue that Sully has played atrocious D over the past week or so, be my guest. The opposing team once scored more than three points less when Sully was on the floor than when he was off; now, that number has fallen to 2.5 points less. In the Miami game he had a defensive rating of 110. Even pure observation suggests he hasn't been effective.
To be fair, nobody on this team has been all that great on defense.

« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2014, 12:04:02 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707
When he plays guys that arrived a day ago over guys that have been working their butts off since this summer, and the guys that just arrived are widely considered role players, then yeah, I can see how he can lose the locker room.
Which ones are those?
I would agree with the poster you responded to. Not sure if you are asking which Celtic players before the trade or players we acquired. Either way, I would had thought they would sit a few games until they had a chance to practice with the team.

It's just another strange move from Stevens.
Why? Who are the superstars on our team that demand minutes, even when playing poorly? Are you guys saying the guys from Dallas didn't work hard in the summer? They are just as much on this team as anyone else.

What is strange is criticising playing the guys who were most effective in the game. How does that make sense?

It doesn't. I agree with you.

Look, they scored 9 points in the first quarter. Both Jeff and Sully had opportunities to impact the game, and they couldn't do it. The new guys almost brought us back and the coach kept Sully on the bench. He needs to suck it up and deal with it. Maybe if he could actually produce for this team he wouldn't have been on the bench.

Thats a very shortsighted view. This is not high school or college sports where you throw out however is having a good night that night, this is pro sports where guys work at their job to earn their role for months and years, you don't throw them to the bench when they have a bad quarter and run with the new scrubs you brought in last night. Green, Sullinger, Thorton, Turner, even Bass have all been working since training camp to learn Stevens system on both ends of the floor. They may have deficiencies, sure, but they do give effort.

How would you feel if you are training and working at a desk job for months or years to earn a certain role and as soon as their is a sign of trouble the boss throws you off the task and gives it to some new guy who may or may not have any ability to do the job and likely has no clue about what's going on regarding that specific project because he just joined the group yesterday?

Regardless, Stevens hasn't even followed the logic of giving playing time to whoever is playing well recently. It took Zeller ages to see the floor while Olynyk was sucking, and Thorton has been great and even has been a much better defender than anyone imagined and doesn't see the floor. Bass is likely better right now and a harder worker than both Olynyk and Sullinger and barely gets into a game. In the end I figure Stevens doesn't care because he and Ainge are both thinking long term and know that most of these guys won't be around for long, but don't expect the players to go along with that.

« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2014, 12:06:57 AM »

Offline Kadin

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 29
When he plays guys that arrived a day ago over guys that have been working their butts off since this summer, and the guys that just arrived are widely considered role players, then yeah, I can see how he can lose the locker room.
Which ones are those?
I would agree with the poster you responded to. Not sure if you are asking which Celtic players before the trade or players we acquired. Either way, I would had thought they would sit a few games until they had a chance to practice with the team.

Why? Who are the superstars on our team that demand minutes, even when playing poorly? Are you guys saying the guys from Dallas didn't work hard in the summer? They are just as much on this team as anyone else.

What is strange is criticising playing the guys who were most effective in the game. How does that make sense?

Look, they scored 9 points in the first quarter. Both Jeff and Sully had opportunities to impact the game, and they couldn't do it. The new guys almost brought us back and the coach kept Sully on the bench. He needs to suck it up and deal with it. Maybe if he could actually produce for this team he wouldn't have been on the bench.

Thats a very shortsighted view. This is not high school or college sports where you throw out however is having a good night that night, this is pro sports where guys work at their job to earn their role for months and years, you don't throw them to the bench when they have a bad quarter and run with the new scrubs you brought in last night. Green, Sullinger, Thorton, Turner, even Bass have all been working since training camp to learn Stevens system on both ends of the floor. They may have deficiencies, sure, but they do give effort.

How would you feel if you are training and working at a desk job for months or years to earn a certain role and as soon as their is a sign of trouble the boss throws you off the task and gives it to some new guy who may or may not have any ability to do the job and likely has no clue about what's going on regarding that specific project?

Regardless, Stevens hasn't even followed the logic of giving playing time to whoever is playing well recently. It took Zeller ages to see the floor while Olynyk was sucking, and Thorton has been great and even has been a much better defender than anyone imagined and doesn't see the floor. Bass is likely better right now and a harder worker than both Olynyk and Sullinger and barely gets into a game. In the end I figure Stevens doesn't care because he and Ainge are both thinking long term and know that most of these guys won't be around for long, but don't expect the players to go along with that.
These guys get paid big money. If they can't be bothered to play hard every minute they're out there, then they don't deserve to be out there at all. In fact they can get out of town for all I care.

« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2014, 12:07:34 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Sully is not trying. Maybe is he injured or just tired. He is in very bad shape to be able to sustain high level of play for 82 games. 

He missed two opportunities to contest jump shots on the PNR early in the game .  CBS benched him after the horrible start

« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2014, 12:13:58 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707
Which ones are those?

How would you feel if you are training and working at a desk job for months or years to earn a certain role and as soon as their is a sign of trouble the boss throws you off the task and gives it to some new guy who may or may not have any ability to do the job and likely has no clue about what's going on regarding that specific project?

These guys get paid big money. If they can't be bothered to play hard every minute they're out there, then they don't deserve to be out there at all. In fact they can get out of town for all I care.

And that's where your perspective is way off again. Sure they get paid big money compared to most of us, but a lot of these guys are younger players who have not gotten the big contracts yet and are fighting to survive longterm in the league and have a chance to earn a long term salary. When they follow the coaches plan for months and get benched for guys who showed up last night , it makes them worry about the impression it gives other teams to sign them to their next deal, and survive in the league. You have to be upfront with these guys, they are highly competitive, skilled professionals fighting in a highly competitive environment to earn a living. They may make a couple of million in 2-3 seasons, but if they are out of the league after that, thats it, they aren't skilled to do anything else and they are in their mid 20's. That couple of million won't last 20-30 years. That's why young teams never win regardless of how good the players are. They are all concerned about establishing their long term deals in the near future more than they are about winning a few more games. Vet teams win because they've made their money and are secure enough to sacrifice. THAT is the single biggest difference from pro sports to high school and college, and that's why that line of thinking that works in academic sports doesn't work here.

« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2014, 12:14:22 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Brad is sending a message.

Play hard or sit down.

Green is a disgrace.

« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2014, 12:14:47 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I wonder if Coach Stevens is losing the locker room ...

He is benching guys who don't try and also benching a guy who can't play well against length or athletic ability.  Zeller played hard,  Smart played hard.   The new guys put forth effort.   Green played ok but got benched, I think for not taking shots.  AB played well for the most part.  Bass played hard.   Turner played.  Oly came to play.  We get way behind in the beginning and come back, something that takes effort from the team.   

Only one guy did not put forth effort, how is that losing the team?  That one guy on this team is lazy, thinks he is an alpha dog.  But he is not, hope he enjoys his fine.  Sherrod really hung out to dry on that one. 

can see why Sully would be frustrated with the coaching.  his bread and butter is around the basket and he's not performing as well as he thinks he should by staying out at the 3 line.  just a possibility.

I call BS on this one, he hangs out there  because he wants to, Oly plays the same position and he scores inside and out.   Do you think they change the offense when KO gets in the game just for him.    Problem is Sully does not move and simply hangs out waiting for the three.   Tonight he went inside a few times but struggles against athletic guys and tall guys too.   Guy is out of shape and can't move well so he loves just standing there and waiting.   He likes shooting threes, remember the preseason.     

There is a reason he fell in the draft folks.   Part of was his back injury but part of it was some of the worst athletic scores in the combine tests of  his year.  He has a knack for rebounding and good hands those are the things he is really good at.

KO only started posting up, if you want to call it that, lol, after Rondo was traded.  The only thing he's done throughout much of his career to date is shooting 3-pointers.  Was he playing with his back to the basket tonight at all?  Just curious.  I agree that Sullinger just camps out there, though.  Ugh.  As is typical of undersized power forwards, they struggle to score inside when being guard by length.  It also doesn't help that he really doesn't have any moves inside, and if he does, he rarely, if ever, uses them.  Sigh.

« Reply #68 on: December 24, 2014, 12:16:42 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Play hard or sit down.

Green is a disgrace.

I don't know if he's a disgrace, but I don't understand why anyone would want him here long-term.  Give Young his minutes and see what happens, lol. ;D

« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2014, 12:17:52 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

Play hard or sit down.

Green is a disgrace.

I don't know if he's a disgrace, but I don't understand why anyone would want him here long-term.  Give Young his minutes and see what happens, lol. ;D

Young and Crowder.

« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2014, 12:25:01 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Crowder was a plus 18 tonight. Man he plays physical d.

« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2014, 12:28:03 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Sully is not trying. Maybe is he injured or just tired. He is in very bad shape to be able to sustain high level of play for 82 games. 

He missed two opportunities to contest jump shots on the PNR early in the game .  CBS benched him after the horrible start
I have been saying this for the longest time. Glad it's getting noticed now.

The pick and roll is not even the worst part of his game. Watch when the other big loses his man or anyone else for that matter. Sully almost never gets to the spot to cut off the rim or the driving lane.

« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2014, 12:45:15 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
...Even when he does get to the right spot Sully tends to get run over like a deer on the interstate. Its the hardest part of his game to see. Having said that, is it such a mystery that a guys who play basketball in this situation sometimes get overwhelmed by the strain. I reckon the two just two just need  a minute to recalibrate. A man-to-man with Sullinger senior could help.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #73 on: December 24, 2014, 12:46:40 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
He's the only Mavs player I would hope Ainge would keep. The other two guys I view as unwanted step children. I wish we would just release them.

« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2014, 12:51:01 AM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
He's the only Mavs player I would hope Ainge would keep. The other two guys I view as unwanted step children. I wish we would just release them.

Wright seems like he might be the best defender out of all our bigs.  We'll see.