Author Topic: Where's the excitement?  (Read 5948 times)

Re: Where's the excitement?
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2018, 11:36:42 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I'm crazy excited for this season. 2019 Championship or bust, BABY!

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2018, 12:07:24 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
Preseason really bummed me out. I've been refraining from posting because I know it's only preseason and doesn't actually matter, but I've got a bad feeling that will disappear once we show that we haven't forgotten how to play both offense and defense for 10 straight minutes.

I expect I'll be more active when we're 10-15 games into the season and can reasonably draw some conclusions.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2018, 12:36:33 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Seems the level of excitement for the coming season is absent here!

Is it the forums moving to CStrong, cause there aren't very many new posts for this time of year!
Is it the terrible preseason schedule with all our games in the first few days and then a week and a half with nothing?
Is it a faint fear in the back of our heads that what we saw in preseason performance will still be there when the season starts?
Is it the lack of excitement due to not having any highly touted rookies coming in, our new players brought in, in trades? (Sorry, can't buy RW as exciting rookie)
Just tired?  Tired of talking about GH and his rehab?
Or is it, our team just mimics its' "boring" never get excited, head coach?

Don't know.  I do know the wait for the season, with nothing but practices is killin' me.  Tuesday can't get here soon enough!  Hope we don't lay an egg!  Go C's!!
I’m as guilty as anyone but mixing politics and sports kinda dulled my sense of camaraderie.
Go C’s. 

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2018, 12:38:53 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Preseason really bummed me out. I've been refraining from posting because I know it's only preseason and doesn't actually matter, but I've got a bad feeling that will disappear once we show that we haven't forgotten how to play both offense and defense for 10 straight minutes.

I expect I'll be more active when we're 10-15 games into the season and can reasonably draw some conclusions.

TP. This 100% captures how I feel about the situation. I think GH/JB/JT can absolutely work at the highest levels but unfortunately Pre Season did not provide the proof of concept that I'd need to feel 100% comfortable about this squad. I was still well on the side of optimism but then Jaylen spoke out about the 3 of them playing the same role and I could no longer ignore the lingering concern.

I still believe that we'll figure this out but it definitely wont be easy. Gordon's setback that pushed him back 4 months is making it really looking like this team will need an extended 'figure it out' period.

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2018, 01:08:43 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

This times 100.

I think we were all really hyped before preseason started and then... pee-yew. I'm expecting to feel better in time.

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2018, 01:23:33 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Preseason didn’t really bother me. They had like two days of practice before their first game, and rarely played all the starters together (1st game only?).

This is what should be expected with shortened camps. They looked like guys freshly back from vacation.

They will be fine once things actually count.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2018, 02:09:18 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I'm very excited, just a few more days and I got tickets!

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2018, 02:27:48 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Seems the level of excitement for the coming season is absent here!

Is it the forums moving to CStrong, cause there aren't very many new posts for this time of year!
Is it the terrible preseason schedule with all our games in the first few days and then a week and a half with nothing?
Is it a faint fear in the back of our heads that what we saw in preseason performance will still be there when the season starts?
Is it the lack of excitement due to not having any highly touted rookies coming in, our new players brought in, in trades? (Sorry, can't buy RW as exciting rookie)
Just tired?  Tired of talking about GH and his rehab?
Or is it, our team just mimics its' "boring" never get excited, head coach?

Don't know.  I do know the wait for the season, with nothing but practices is killin' me.  Tuesday can't get here soon enough!  Hope we don't lay an egg!  Go C's!!

Pre-season game performances were sobering and left us a little worried. The team looked exactly like they had spent the summer reading and listening to all the lofty title predictions. We are still young and apparently not good at handling expectations (though I do not remember a very young Bird or Cowens having any problem at all).

I, for one, am very happy that this team has nothing but practice days right now.
They need it.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2018, 02:51:08 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Bird shouldn't be the benchmark in any conversation

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2018, 03:56:11 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Can you assess excitement from posts or the like?   Then there should be a market for you out there.

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2018, 05:38:11 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
yup, pre-season really put a damper on things.

a lot of pressure on Stevens this season, I personally think he should've stuck with the starting line up that took us to ECF(minus rozier of course). that team earned it and the kids are now in a situation that forces them to think instead of just doing and reacting. just think this was a situation "if it aint broke"...

why did hayward need to start? he's 100% healthy but is he 100% ready to play the game? i'd say no.

anyway i'm always excited when the Celtics are back on and I watch every game every season no matter if they're headed to the lottery or the finals.

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2018, 06:02:11 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I'll worry about excitement when the season starts. Cramming all the preseason action up front was sure to highlight rust, especially for Hayward, as well as officiating run amok as the zebras try to incorporate this year's points of emphasis.

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2018, 06:12:32 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
yup, pre-season really put a damper on things.

a lot of pressure on Stevens this season, I personally think he should've stuck with the starting line up that took us to ECF(minus rozier of course). that team earned it and the kids are now in a situation that forces them to think instead of just doing and reacting. just think this was a situation "if it aint broke"...

why did hayward need to start? he's 100% healthy but is he 100% ready to play the game? i'd say no.

anyway i'm always excited when the Celtics are back on and I watch every game every season no matter if they're headed to the lottery or the finals.

The Celtics will be at their best when Irving, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, and Horford share the floor. Brad needs to start getting them time together, whether Hayward is 100% used to basketball or not.

Playing the old starting lineup might be better now, but we're looking to win an NBA championship, not a preseason championship. Brad should be focused on what the team needs to be at their best in June, not October
I'm bitter.

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2018, 06:54:39 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I agree the quiet is deafening.

I think the less than exciting preseason has something to do with the quiet. Too many thought, including myself that the C's were going to be assured of winning the East.

Unfortunately, I think the Celtics themselves thought the same thing. Maybe in hindsight naming the second unit wasn't such a great idea. Lol, I now think we have every team in the East gunning for our hides.

This team better both mentally and physically come together as a unit or be prepared for some embarrassment.   

I myself couldn't be more ready.

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2018, 07:18:55 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

I'm excited.

Let's choke PHI on Tuesday. We choked them last year, in the playoffs.

With EVERYONE back healthy I know the choking will continue. Embiid, Simmons and Co. will have finger marks around their necks for the foreseeable future.

Can't wait.