Author Topic: Heat (2-3) at Celtics (3-2) ECF Game 6 6/7  (Read 122168 times)

Heat (2-3) at Celtics (3-2) ECF Game 6 6/7
« on: June 06, 2012, 04:00:25 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!

Time To Play Like It's 1969!
Miami Heat (10-6, 2-3) at Boston Celtics (11-7, 3-2)
Thursday, June 7, 2012
8:30 PM ET
Playoff Game #19,  Home Game #10
TV:  ESPN
Radio:  WEEI, ESPN Radio
TD Garden

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard
vs
Rajon Rondo vs Mario Chalmers

Shooting Guard
  vs 
Ray Allen vs Dwyane Wade

Small Forward

vs
Paul Pierce vs LeBron James

Power Forward

vs
Brandon Bass vs Udonis Haslem

Center

vs
Kevin Garnett vs Chris Bosh 

Reserves
Greg Stiemsma
JaJuan Johnson
E'Twaun Moore
Marquis Daniels
Sasha Pavlovic
Keyon Dooling
Ryan Hollins
Mickael Pietrus

Injuries
Paul Pierce (knee) probable
Mickael Pietrus (hamstring) probable
Ray Allen (ankle) probable
Greg Stiemsma (feet) probable
Avery Bradley (shoulder) out

Key Off the Bench

Mickael Pietrus/  Marquis Daniels/  Keyon Dooling
These 3 players have come up with big plays in the Celtics wins.  They have come off the bench to give the starters some rest and they have played great defense along with hitting some big shots.    Marquis  was the hero of game 4.  Dooling's defense has been consistently good along with hitting big 3 pointers in each win, especially in game 4.    Pietrus also has played good defense in each game,  He has also grabbed key rebounds and hit big shots, especially in games 4 and 5.  Greg Stiemsma was also effective in his minutes in game 5.  The Celtics need the same type of effort from these key bench players again in game 6. 

Reserves
Joel Anthony
Mike Miller
Norris Cole
James Jones
Juwan Howard
Eddy Curry
Shane Battier
Terrel Harris
Dexter Pittman
Ronny Turiaf

Injuries
Chris Bosh (ab strain) probable

Key off the Bench

Joel Anthony/ Norris Cole /  Mike Miller 
The Heat need Anthony to come in and help defend KG along with blocking shots and grabbing rebounds.  He is their only real size inside other than Bosh and they need him to help them try to stop KG.  Norris Cole has given them some energy and has played decent defense on Rondo, including a chase down steal in game 5.  They will need more from him, especially if Chalmers struggles again.    Miller is clearly hurting, but  has hit  huge 3 pointers for them in games so far.    The Heat's bench players contributed in their wins in Miami but have struggled in their losses for the most part, especially the ones in Boston.  The Celtics need to limit their production again in this game.   

Game Notes
As the series shifts back to Boston,  the Celtics will attempt to finish the task of coming back from an 0-2 deficit to win a playoff series.   The last Celtics team to do this was the 1969 Celtics team that won my heart so many years ago.   After their 0-2 start, we heard how only 14 teams have ever come back from an 0-2 deficit to win a best of 7 playoff series.  We also heard the stat that the team that wins the first 2 games goes on to win the series 94% of the time. But here they sit, up 3-2 and one home game away from advancing to the finals. 

The Celtics were counted out at the beginning of the season when they got off to a slow start.  They were counted out mid season when they lost 7 of 8 going into the All Star game.   They were counted out when they lost the series opener to Atlanta.  They were counted out when they lost home court to Philly. And they were counted out when they lost the first 2 games of this series to the Heat.   They are too old, too beat up, too slow, etc.    Just as that 1969 team defied all of their critics to win the championship that year,  this team has defied all of the criticism to come to within one win of the finals.  Never underestimate the heart of a champion. 

This will be the toughest game yet, though.  Despite what Andrew Bynum thinks,  closeout games are extremely hard because teams play their absolute best when their backs are against the wall.  The Heat are going to come out with guns blazing and will give it their all to avoid elimination.  I expect Wade and LeBron to play their best, but, on the road, role players often struggle, which may give the Celtics the advantage they need. 

The Heat brought Chris Bosh back in game 5.  He came off the bench and gave them 14 good minutes.   After the game he said he was feeling good and expected to play more in game 6.  I'm expecting Spo to insert Bosh into the starting lineup in this one and start Haslem next to him at the power forward spot in an effort to limit KG and Bass, something they haven't done very well so far.   Of course, Soelstra doesn't always make moves that make sense so he could again start Batter at the 4 and Haslem at the 5. 

There has been much talk about the officiating in this series so far.  While the officiating in game 1 was bad,  the Celtics lost that because they played poorly.  Game 2, was a different story in that calls (and non-calls) down the stretch had a definite influence on the outcome of the game.  In games 3, 4 and 5 the officiating was even and although there were blown calls and missed calls in all 3, they at least went both ways.  I'm a bit worried about the officiating in this game.  Games 4 and 5 set new records for viewers on ESPN and a conspiracy buff might think that Herr Stern would like to see that go a couple more games rather than end in this one.  I'm not expecting home cooking for the Celtics but would love to see it called fairly.   

It's time for that Celtics Pride to kick in and for the Celtics to come out strong and play tough defensive basketball from start to finish and end this series with a convincing win!    If heart counts for anything, I'll put my money on the Celtics to win this one and to take the series. 

Key Matchups
vs
Rajon Rondo vs Mario Chalmers
As always, Rondo is the key to the Celtics offense, defense, and energy.   The Celtics need to stay with Chalmers as he is capable of hitting big shots.  The Celtics struggled somewhat in the first half of game 5 but then came on strong down the stretch behind the inspired play of their point guard.  The Celtics need an aggressive and focused Rondo from start to finish.  In an elimination game, they can't afford to bring anything but their best play from start to finish.   

vs
Paul Pierce vs LeBron James
This has been a key matchup for the entire series.  LeBron has come out strong in each game but then tends to struggle late in games.  Paul Pierce has struggled early in most games and then hit huge shots down the stretch.  The Celtics need a complete game from their captain on both ends of the court in this game.  He is hasn't really had a big game in this series and this would be a great time for him to pull it out.   

Honorable Mention

Kevin Garnett vs Chris Bosh (or whoever)
KG has been absolutely amazing throughout these playoffs.   One of the keys to winning the last 3 games is KG's play inside and the KG and Rondo pick and roll.  The Heat have had no answer for this so far.  With Chris Bosh expected to play more minutes, KG will have to play a little harder on defense but I still don't expect Bosh to be able to stop KG's offense that has been so consistent in this series.   

Keys to the Game
- Defense wins championships, plain and simple.  The Celtics' defensive intensity is the biggest key to getting this win.   
The Celtics have  proved that they can defend the Heat and limit both Wade and LeBron for stretches.  The Celtics now must also deal with Bosh and so it makes doubling Wade a little more difficult.  The Celtics MUST play in your face team defense from start to finish. 

Run the Offense - The Celtics must run their sets and move the ball.   The Celtics are at their best when they are moving the ball and making the extra pass and finding the open man.  Along with moving the ball, they have to make smart passes and not the sloppy passes that lead to turnovers since turnovers against the Heat usually lead to a LeBron or Wade dunk at the other end.  The Celtics must be aggressive in going to the basket and either score, draw a foul or kick it out to the open man.  Smart ball movement is crucial to beating the Heat since I expect them to ramp up their defense for this game. 

Rebound - The Celtics got out worked on the boards 48-33 in game 1.  The rebounds in game 2 were even at 42. The Celtics out rebounded the Heat in their games 3 and 4 wins.  In game 5, the Celtics were able to pull out a win in spite of being out-rebounded by 10.  Much of rebounding is desire and effort.  How else can you explain 6'1" Rondo out rebounding everyone on the court?   The Celtics have got to put out more effort in going after rebounds and crashing the boards.   Winning the rebounding battle will be crucial to winning this game. 

Be Aggressive - The Celtics must be the more aggressive team if they want to win this game.  They have to be the team that wins the 50/50 balls.  They have to be the team more aggressive on the boards.  They must be the more aggressive team in going to the hoop and finishing at the hoop, not just driving toward the basket and hoping to get the foul because as we have seen in the games so far, the refs don't always call the fouls even when they are obvious.  And they have to be the more aggressive team on defense.  They can't allow the Heat to outwork them.  They have to want this game more and go after it. 

Bench Play - The Celtics reserves must continue to come up big for them.  The Celtics have gotten key contributions from Pietrus, Dooling, Quisy and Stiemsma and they need them to once again play big in this game.  The Heat's role players have not played as well on the road as they have at home and so hopefully that trend continues. 

X-Factors
Home Court and Officiating
 The Celtics are playing at home and that gives them an advantage in this game, although, the Heat are very capable of winning games on the road.  The home crowd must be loud and intimidating.  They have to give the Celtics a boost and rattle the Heat, especially their role players. 

The officiating in game 1 was absolutely horrible.  The officiating in game 2 was even worse.    The officiating in games 3, 4, and 5 wasn't always perfect, but it was even.  Hopefully with the spotlight on the officiating in this series, they will once again call it fairly. 

Re: Heat (2-3) at Celtics (3-2) ECF Game 6 6/7
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 04:35:13 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
it's time for the boys to review the tape from 2010 Finals, games 6 and 7.

these Celtics tendancy is to exert more effort when the chips are down.  plenty of lazy play has followed our gaining a big lead, both in games and in series.

up 3-2, will they lose just enough edge to let Miami back in?

will they jump out to a 15pt 1st half lead and assume Miami has given up?

these are the mistake I can only hope Boston has learned from...

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 04:40:17 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
The C's know what is at stake. They know what it takes. I cannot wait until tomorrow night! Lets do this! Go Celtics!

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 04:48:22 PM »

Offline CantBeRight

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Not 1...not 2...not 3...not 4...BUT 17
This is the most important game of the season.

WE CANNOT AND I REPEAT CANNOT GO BACK TO MIAMI FOR A GAME 7.

Must. Win. Game.
Celtics fan in Houston.

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 04:53:45 PM »

Offline JoT

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
Truthfully I would have never thought that this team would be one game away from the Finals and eliminating the Miami Heat this year. After last night and seeing how they played to win, I now have enough faith to think they can take this.
This game is important and a true must win because I do not want them to play a game 7 in Miami.

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 04:59:09 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Well here it is ...all laid out on the table for the taking ,a trip to the finals  :)  

Need to keep our eye on the prize , focus on this game , take no prisoners .  

No team has fought harder or been though as much as this Celtics team this year to get where they are .  :)

I gotta believe when you've overcome all the setbacks this team has .... you win this game AT ALL COST...

I think PP, RAY , KG & RR & Doc  all have a HUGE statement to make by taking this game.

I want this game to be a DEATH SENTENCE for the cHeat  ...

A total annilation . ;D

Peace.

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 05:14:06 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
This is a different team than past ones we are mentally tough as nails I see us taking care of business, with Rondo dominating to open the game.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 05:31:09 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
This is a different team than past ones we are mentally tough as nails I see us taking care of business, with Rondo dominating to open the game.
This current C's team has been very good about closing out teams at home. We've only failed to do so in 2008-2009 against Orlando.

They'll get it done, but its going to be a dog fight if we do win. Miami is every bit as good as the C's. Three close games and we managed to come out on top, but if Chalmers hits a few more open 3s it could all be different.

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 06:04:33 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
This current C's team has been very good about closing out teams at home. We've only failed to do so in 2008-2009 against Orlando.

They'll get it done, but its going to be a dog fight if we do win. Miami is every bit as good as the C's. Three close games and we managed to come out on top, but if Chalmers hits a few more open 3s it could all be different.
yea read the stat about how in general we haven't been so good, at home though they should get it done
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 10:05:40 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
we won in miami
most thought that was impossible
with all the love in Boston
and the Heart of the Celtics
we got this

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 11:40:23 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
Here it is - a home court game with a chance to close out the series and move on to the NBA Finals. The Celtics have done an outstanding job in this series winning their last three games and playing well enough to have an opportunity to win another. We are definitely in their heads now (Woah Perkins slammed one and is going back to the NBA Finals as I finish writing). I pray to the Power of 33 that the Celtics follow the OKC pattern of losing the 1st two and win the next 4. We are at T minus 21 hours to tip off of Game 6. My personal launch code is being finalized for tomorrow. This game means everything and I will do my level best to make sure I am in the right place at the right time tomorrow. I expect each member of Celtic Nation to do their job.

KG, Pierce, Rondo, Doc, Ray Allen, and Danny Ainge want this too bad. I suspect the rest of the Celtics, the Alumni, and the fans want this game as badly as I do.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 11:54:32 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
OKC is now waiting for us.  This time tomorrow I wonna be overwhelmed with joy.  Go C's!

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 12:09:10 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
This is it...
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 12:14:41 AM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Look of determination on Ray's face last game says we can do it.
Need another big game from Ray, PP and the bench. KG will be KG. Rondo will be Rondo.

Like KG said. Boom, Boom out go the lights!
(actually he said sleepy time; but you know what he meant}

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 12:52:45 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
BAR FIGHT