Who is the GOAT?

MJ
28 (56%)
LJ
5 (10%)
other
17 (34%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: MJ vs LJ  (Read 11545 times)

Re: MJ vs LJ
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2018, 11:33:30 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
wow...

Pippin is a top 50 players yes,  But he could not lead a team to a chip the way Wade did..  MJ never played with anyone who led a team on his own to a championship...  LBJ has played with 1 and possibly 2 with Irving.

A Durant lead team would never mentally dominate a Jordan lead team..   Win or Lose,  never would MJ allow for Durant (or anyone) to come into his house and show out without him At least trying to guard him...   Game 3, Durant was giving The Cavs the business and LBJ was guarding Green..  MJ would have taken that crap personally and Went at him Man on Man... That is what made him the goat...

There is not one man in the world who could say they know what its like to get into the Ring with Jordan for all the marbles, and walk away with the marble bag.. No one, ever...

That is greatness.  All that other crap, one-legged jumpers, 40 point games and triple-doubles.. who cares..  what does it matter if you cant raise the banner...

and When the heck did We as Celtic fans start lowering the bar...   Jeeze..

No.

I agree. I think there are about 10+ players over the last 20 years that are better than Pippen. He was good, but 50 is a stretch.

Also, GS is the best team ever assembled. They would beat MJ or anyone else.

While I disagree with your last point about the Warriors, how do Dominique Wilkins, Bernard King, Mark Aguirre, Rodman, Artis Gilmore, Sidney Moncrief, Adrian Dantley, Dennis Johnson, and Bob McAdoo, for starters, get passed over for Scottie Pippen?

Don't get me wrong, the latter was at least a really good player, but come on, over those guys?  ::) I'd take Michael Cooper over Pippen, lol ;D.

« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2018, 11:46:40 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
how do Dominique Wilkins, Bernard King, Mark Aguirre, Rodman, Artis Gilmore, Sidney Moncrief, Adrian Dantley, Dennis Johnson, and Bob McAdoo, for starters, get passed over for Scottie Pippen?

You’re just picking borderline Hall of Famers, right?

Pippen was easily better than all of those guys.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2018, 11:52:52 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
how do Dominique Wilkins, Bernard King, Mark Aguirre, Rodman, Artis Gilmore, Sidney Moncrief, Adrian Dantley, Dennis Johnson, and Bob McAdoo, for starters, get passed over for Scottie Pippen?

Borderline Hall of Famers? :o Who on that list constitutes as such?

« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2018, 11:52:53 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Yeah, Pippen gets the nod over most, if not all those guys. McAdoo's prime was probably better, but Pippen's longevity, as well as being the second best guy for two 3-peats, whereas McAdoo was never even a starter on a championship winner. A lot of those others were great scorers, but Pippen was so good in so many different areas
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2018, 12:09:31 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Yeah, Pippen gets the nod over most, if not all those guys. McAdoo's prime was probably better, but Pippen's longevity, as well as being the second best guy for two 3-peats, whereas McAdoo was never even a starter on a championship winner. A lot of those others were great scorers, but Pippen was so good in so many different areas

Maybe not, but he was the MVP in 1975, not to mention the fact that you're really underrating the passing abilities of Aguirre, D.J., King, and Moncrief, imo.

« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2018, 12:19:54 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Hard to argue with Jordan's resume. 

That said, if you swapped LeBron with prime Jordan on this Cavs team, I don't think they even get to the Finals let alone compete with that Warriors juggernaut. 

Jordan was amazing.  Pippen doesn't get enough credit.

« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2018, 06:24:55 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Borderline Hall of Famers? :o Who on that list constitutes as such?

Pretty much all of them. But if you prefer, “lower echelon Hall of Famers”.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2018, 06:42:30 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Hard to argue with Jordan's resume. 

That said, if you swapped LeBron with prime Jordan on this Cavs team, I don't think they even get to the Finals let alone compete with that Warriors juggernaut. 

Jordan was amazing.  Pippen doesn't get enough credit.

Fair point, but does Jordan have the benefit of preparing under today's rules?  These debates are so difficult because we would need to assume that Jordan could/would extend his range with only one off-season to prepare.  Despite never being a 3-point shooter Jordan had the ability to knock them down in seasons where it became a priority.  There was always a positive correlation between percentage and attempts per game. 

It would also be interesting to see how his relentless competitiveness would translate in today's NBA.  There are so many legendary stories of how he put pressure on teammates in practice scenarios.  I feel like a lackadaisical JR Smith wouldn't exist as a teammate of Jordan's.  It's a given that LeBron is a far superior floor general, but Jordan has the edge when it comes to making sure he teammates are prepared for the moment.   

This same logic applies to LeBron if we placed him in the 90's.  I'd be willing to bet that his range would be severely limited due to a lack of emphasis on the three point shot. 

« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2018, 06:57:27 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The poll results are giving the LBJ guys something to ponder, eh?  Only 8% for LBJ!

« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2018, 07:33:30 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
In a cavs forum LeBron gets 99%..... The results with such a sample are meaningless. James here is the most hated person in the universe

« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2018, 08:04:52 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
In a cavs forum LeBron gets 99%..... The results with such a sample are meaningless. James here is the most hated person in the universe

I think we probably have some folks that go to that forum as well.

Jordan here.
https://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/the-top-nba-players-of-all-time

Jordan here
https://www.statista.com/statistics/612623/greatest-nba-player-of-all-time/

ESPN  Jordan
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/nbarank1/all-nbarank-1

Yes, LeBron is hated.   A lot of the people who don't like him, is because people think he is the greatest and they don't agree.

« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2018, 09:28:39 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
Reading these comparisons between Jordan and James, two things come to mind. First, I wonder how many of the people on here saying things like "Jordan wouldn't have even gotten out of the East with this Cavs team" and are old enough to have actually Jordan him play. Second, I think people don't understand how good Jordan was defensively.

Jordan didn't coast most of the game but come up with a highlight-reel chasedown block every now and again. Um, no. He was an absolutely filthy defender, to go along with being the best offensive player of his generation. Do people realize he was defensive player of the year in '87-88? Or that he made the all-defensive team 9 times? For those of us old enough to remember, this wasn't on reputation. He was absolutely sick as both an individual defender and team defender, and it's a major reason why those Bulls teams came out with six championships.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2018, 09:35:07 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

I think we probably have some folks that go to that forum as well.

Jordan here.
https://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/the-top-nba-players-of-all-time

Jordan here
https://www.statista.com/statistics/612623/greatest-nba-player-of-all-time/

ESPN  Jordan
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/nbarank1/all-nbarank-1

Yes, LeBron is hated.   A lot of the people who don't like him, is because people think he is the greatest and they don't agree.

I dont argue about the result itself.
 The difference 92-8 is misleading though.

« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2018, 10:07:35 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
It may be misleading, but it also may be true. As of 2018, Jordan had a better career than Lebron. I'm not certain that will be the case in 2025.

« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2018, 01:57:52 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
Pippen is a top 50 players yes,  But he could not lead a team to a chip the way Wade did.. 

I disagree with this. I’d take Pippen over Wade 100% of the time.

The point I was making was Pippen never lead a Team to a Chip... Wade did.