Author Topic: Celtics (39-16) at Lakers (42-12) Game #56 2/23/20  (Read 56489 times)

Re: Celtics (39-16) at Lakers (42-12) Game #56 2/23/20
« Reply #900 on: February 23, 2020, 09:23:29 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
My notes:

- Lebron always gets calls late.
- Davis did not hurt us even though we had Brown, Hayward, and Tatum matched up with him a lot. I really think the small ball is ok.
- Tatum was the best player on the court, but Lebron still has master control of the game.
- CBS did not deserve that technical, especially given how much Lebron was barking at the refs during the game.
- Tatum did not deserve the offensive on the last call. Since the shot wouldn't count, it didn't matter, but still indicative of the type of reffing that went in LAs favor.
- The Cs could have still won, but had two costly plays late. The Hayward missed layup and Brown's turnovers were costly.

This is a tough team and a true contender. They probably aren't favorites, but they have as legit a shot as anyone this year.

« Reply #901 on: February 23, 2020, 09:25:06 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
just watched on tape delay.  takeaways:
- Tatum took another step today in establishing himself as a premier scorer in the league.  If he had gotten any offensive help today, C's win this handily.
- Our ball handling and passing were crap.  pure crap.  17 TO's and so many bad passes.  This team does not do well when they're pressured on their dribbles.
- Jaylen and Marcus were awful on offense.  Jaylen improved a little in the 4th but he couldn't hold onto the ball to save his life.
- Wanamaker was a complete mess out there.  totally overmatched. 
- still love Rondo but it kills me to see him as a Laker.  ate our lunch today.  wish we had him on our bench instead of the Lakers.  would make a huge difference for our offensive performance and our defense.
- Last basket was huge but Bron has definitely lost a step against the competition.  still a great player but not at the level where he can just impose his will on the game now.
- Lakers bigs got away with so much over-the-back garbage it was disgraceful.

bottom line, Lakers don't scare me if we meet them in the finals.  they were healthy and looking for payback after we blew them out and we still almost beat them with Kemba out and no one but Tatum producing on offense.  Not that I expect great things from Timelord if he can come back this season but he would have helped provide an athletic big body out there tonight. 

« Reply #902 on: February 23, 2020, 09:44:34 PM »

Offline CaNdyMaN1369

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 151
Tatum sat 46 seconds at the end of the Q3, 130 seconds for the break, 75 seconds for the Lakers Q4 timeout when he was on the bench and 276 seconds to start the 4th. Adds up to 8 minutes and 47 seconds.

I think that was a mistake.

Otherwise, the game continues to demonstrate what a weak bench we have AND that we can beat the LA teams.

TP...

« Reply #903 on: February 23, 2020, 10:59:15 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Tatum sat 46 seconds at the end of the Q3, 130 seconds for the break, 75 seconds for the Lakers Q4 timeout when he was on the bench and 276 seconds to start the 4th. Adds up to 8 minutes and 47 seconds.

Otherwise, the game continues to demonstrate what a weak bench we have AND that we can beat the LA teams.

TP...

Lok with how much he has to play and has
 played, 8 realtime minutes is not enough.

He played 36 mins ffs. More than his average. Hayward played 39 mins. He already went above his normal limit for the guys.

« Reply #904 on: February 23, 2020, 11:36:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Biggest fail tonight other than refs was CBS inability to make Lakers pay for double teaming Tatum

After one pass the Lakers were able to recover

It required two passes to get an easy look

« Reply #905 on: February 23, 2020, 11:42:01 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
- Tatum took another step today in establishing himself as a premier scorer in the league.  If he had gotten any offensive help today, C's win this handily.
- Our ball handling and passing were crap.  pure crap.  17 TO's and so many bad passes.  This team does not do well when they're pressured on their dribbles.
- Jaylen and Marcus were awful on offense.  Jaylen improved a little in the 4th but he couldn't hold onto the ball to save his life.
- still love Rondo but it kills me to see him as a Laker.  ate our lunch today.  wish we had him on our bench instead of the Lakers.  would make a huge difference for our offensive performance and our defense.
- Last basket was huge but Bron has definitely lost a step against the competition.  still a great player but not at the level where he can just impose his will on the game now.

bottom line, Lakers don't scare me if we meet them in the finals.  they were healthy and looking for payback after we blew them out and we still almost beat them with Kemba out and no one but Tatum producing on offense.  Not that I expect great things from Timelord if he can come back this season but he would have helped provide an athletic big body out there tonight.

I don't think Hayward will produce 10 points in a 7-game series against the Lakers. He'd produce 20+, hopefully. Jaylen Brown will have his night. I expect consistency from Walker, Smart, and Tatum though.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #906 on: February 23, 2020, 11:53:26 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
Biggest fail tonight other than refs was CBS inability to make Lakers pay for double teaming Tatum

As was mentioned here, that's on Tatum. He has to learn to have a quicker read on the double team and give it up quicker and move away so there will be more space to cover for the defender. Its the next step. IT learned how to deal with it over time. Tatum hopefully will as well. But there were guys in the past who werent really good passers out of the double. Heck its one of the Sixers fans complaint about Embiid at least the past few years. This year they have more things to complain about so not sure about that area anymore.

« Reply #907 on: February 23, 2020, 11:58:09 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo

I don't think Hayward will produce 10 points in a 7-game series against the Lakers. He'd produce 20+, hopefully. Jaylen Brown will have his night. I expect consistency from Walker, Smart, and Tatum though.

The only thing that scares me about the a series with the Lakers are the refs. Honestly I am more concerned about the Raptors than the Lakers. If Kemba was playing and no Wanamaker, we wouldve won easily tonight. The Lakers have trouble matching our wings, while the Raptors are a better matchup esp without HCA. The Sixers wouldve been as well, but I dont think they get HCA and they are crappy on the road.

« Reply #908 on: February 24, 2020, 12:29:04 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

TP...

He played 36 mins ffs. More than his average. Hayward played 39 mins. He already went above his normal limit for the guys.

Just looked at the game tape rather than using the game replay off of ESPN. Turns out Tatum was off the floor for over 21 minutes with all the dead time included. Been a long time since I played fossil-league ball, but that will cool off anyone.

« Reply #909 on: February 24, 2020, 12:34:02 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
ESPN article on the game today:

The Celtics, even in defeat and in the absence of Kemba Walker, were a pleasure to watch. This is a team intoxicated by the joy of witnessing, in real time, dynamic, young talents evolve into the players they're projected to be. Tatum, who grew up dominating with his skill, is learning how to add strength to his game. Brown, who grew up dominating the game physically, is incorporating more skill.

It's a symbiosis that is flourishing in the company of a point guard in Walker, who genuinely roots for his young players, and teammates and coaching staff who have reestablished a collective trust.

« Reply #910 on: February 24, 2020, 12:38:53 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo

TP...

Just looked at the game tape rather than using the game replay off of ESPN. Turns out Tatum was off the floor for over 21 minutes with all the dead time included. Been a long time since I played fossil-league ball, but that will cool off anyone.

Its normal rest for the guys. Again, he played 36 minutes. What, you think this different from any other game and in the games he got 34 minutes in, the real minutes are shorter? This is the start of a 3 games in 4 nights stretch on the road where they are shorthanded and the guys are leaving late coz of the Kobe memorial. It seems you guys want someone like Thibs who overplay his starters.

Also, he didn't cool off. He didnt really get to score because the Lakers have been forcing the ball out of his hands.

« Reply #911 on: February 24, 2020, 12:48:44 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
ESPN article on the game today:

The Celtics, even in defeat and in the absence of Kemba Walker, were a pleasure to watch. This is a team intoxicated by the joy of witnessing, in real time, dynamic, young talents evolve into the players they're projected to be. Tatum, who grew up dominating with his skill, is learning how to add strength to his game. Brown, who grew up dominating the game physically, is incorporating more skill.

It's a symbiosis that is flourishing in the company of a point guard in Walker, who genuinely roots for his young players, and teammates and coaching staff who have reestablished a collective trust.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28766961/sunday-celtics-lakers-battle-had-everything-nba-premier-rivalry-needs

« Reply #912 on: February 24, 2020, 01:28:31 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362

I suspect it was more to do with the players not being able to execute properly than Brad.  Tatum was slow to get rid of the ball when he got doubled, as he said it was his first time he had really seen early traps of that nature. And when he did he wasn't able to find an open man, and the players weren't able to position themselves to receive the ball from him. And then the person he eventually passed it didn't have enough time on the shot clock to be able to do anything with it. All of them made mention of it in the post game interviews so they know they need to be better. It's something that they just have to work through in real game experience but they've got till April to figure it out. Tatum can take a lot of learning from Kemba on how to manage that, Kemba's really good at getting rid of the ball quickly.

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #913 on: February 24, 2020, 01:55:50 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Good to see the Faker media in full swing...crowing about beating us and zero mention of the fact that Kemba wasn't playing.

This is Lakers-Celtics, James said, and that needs to mean something special to the players on the court today because it mattered to the players on the court 60 years ago.

And the game-icing bucket, a spinning jumper from the right post? That was a move set up by an entire game of physicality, pounding Boston’s young wing, Jaylen Brown, to the point where James knew he had him right where he wanted him.

“I had been setting him up all night,” James said, not an ounce of remorse in his voice for the lesson he just dealt to the player 12 years his junior.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/story/2020-02-23/lebron-james-anthony-davis-lakers-celtics-nba-victory

What lesson?? Jaylen forced him to take a fadeaway! He made it, good for him. Dealing him a lesson.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #914 on: February 24, 2020, 02:01:13 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I suspect it was more to do with the players not being able to execute properly than Brad.  Tatum was slow to get rid of the ball when he got doubled, as he said it was his first time he had really seen early traps of that nature. And when he did he wasn't able to find an open man, and the players weren't able to position themselves to receive the ball from him. And then the person he eventually passed it didn't have enough time on the shot clock to be able to do anything with it. All of them made mention of it in the post game interviews so they know they need to be better. It's something that they just have to work through in real game experience but they've got till April to figure it out. Tatum can take a lot of learning from Kemba on how to manage that, Kemba's really good at getting rid of the ball quickly.
Might take him a year or two to really figure it out, but man this mid-season jump is nuts. He's on another level right now, I'd put him in the mix to be an All-NBA wing if he keeps it up. The passing is probably the final step he needs to make to develop into an MVP calibre player and I'm incredibly happy to be eating crow on Tatum (I thought his realistic ceiling was a high level All-NBA wing ala Pierce/George instead of the wing version of Karl Malone with worse offence but better defence, yes they don't play alike but I kind of see Tatum having an offensive portfolio like Karl if he makes that passing leap - historic scoring rates on excellent efficiency as well as unimpressive creation and assist rates that are offset by most of them being high-leverage passes).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 02:08:55 AM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA