Author Topic: Patriots 2019 Offseason  (Read 26658 times)

Re: Patriots 2019 Offseason
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2019, 12:58:19 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Trent Brown to the Raiders.

Amendola is headed to Detroit.

I figured Brown was gone, but it's still a bummer to see it become official. That guy is a mountain. I wonder what the plan is to replace him.

Dola wouldv'e been nice to have back, but I think they'll be fine at receiver.

Didn't they already replace Brown with the trade for Bennett?

Trent brown, offensive left tackle, is to be replaced by Wynn, their first rounder from last year who missed the season with injury. Malcolm brown plays interior Defensive line and is a free agent as well. Bennet is more of an edge defensive lineman a la flowers, formerly chandler jones, claiborn, etc. I dont know the full plan with the DL

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2019, 12:59:48 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

I figured Brown was gone, but it's still a bummer to see it become official. That guy is a mountain. I wonder what the plan is to replace him.

You’re thinking of Flowers.

Brown plays LT.

Brown will be replaced by the first round pick from last season who sat out with injury.

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2019, 01:01:02 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker

Browns deal is huge. (But the raiders didnt have money for kalil mack?) makes you think there would be mid tier offensive line free agents lining up to play 1 year for the pats then get paid. Nate solder, trent brown, etc.

Actually all over the place. Amendila got overpaid, malcom butler, dion lewis, shane vereen...

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2019, 01:05:36 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
That Trent Brown contract is silly money. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2019, 01:49:02 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

You’re thinking of Flowers.

Brown plays LT.

You are right. My bad.

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2019, 02:10:52 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Browns deal is huge. (But the raiders didnt have money for kalil mack?) makes you think there would be mid tier offensive line free agents lining up to play 1 year for the pats then get paid. Nate solder, trent brown, etc.

Actually all over the place. Amendila got overpaid, malcom butler, dion lewis, shane vereen...

It amazes me that so many teams haven't yet realized—after watching the Patriots for 20 YEARS—that the success of so many ex-Pats players was because of the Patriots system, and that taking them out of that system will basically nullify their talent.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2019, 05:28:52 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Per ESPN's Mike Reiss:

With Patriots DE Trey Flowers intending to sign with the Lions on a five-year deal that is expected to average around $16-17 million per season, it reflects how the market pushed things to a point where New England wasn't comfortable going. In that sense, it is a similar situation to what unfolded last offseason with OT Nate Solder. The Patriots would have liked to keep Flowers, but they seldom stray from their financial discipline, which is a philosophy that has worked well for them. The trade acquisition of Michael Bennett will help soften the blow of Flowers' departure, while third-year DE Deatrich Wise Jr. could be primed for an expanded role after playing 54 percent of the defensive snaps in 2017 and 42 percent of the defensive snaps in 2018. Patriots defensive ends currently under contract for 2019: Bennett, Wise, Adrian Clayborn, Derek Rivers, Keionta Davis, Ufomba Kamalu and Trent Harris.

His departure was pretty much expected, and getting Bennett should make up for it (for this season, at least), but it's still a bummer that New England still pretty much refuses to pay for premium defensive ends/pass rushers. It would be nice to have one of those types while they're in their prime.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2019, 05:51:23 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
What is the NFL rule on compensatory picks when a player is lost to free agency?  If Pats do get picks for losing Flowers and Brown, why isn’t this included in the reporting of the transactions?

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2019, 05:54:42 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I dont like to hear about a key line player leaving, but I've revoked my own privileges to question the Pats for at least a few years.  In Bill We Trust.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2019, 05:56:58 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
What is the NFL rule on compensatory picks when a player is lost to free agency?  If Pats do get picks for losing Flowers and Brown, why isn’t this included in the reporting of the transactions?

There's a formula.  It's based on free agents gained v. lost among other items.    The compensatory picks for this offseason won't be awarded until next winter.

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2019, 06:10:40 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

There's a formula.  It's based on free agents gained v. lost among other items.    The compensatory picks for this offseason won't be awarded until next winter.

Thanks! 

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2019, 06:14:46 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker

Thanks!

For example, for the upcoming 2019 draft:

The Patriots are projected to receive four compensatory draft picks:

Third round pick for losing LT Nate Solder. This is expected to be the second-highest compensatory pick in the draft.
Third round pick for losing CB Malcolm Butler. This is expected to be the sixth-highest compensatory pick.
Fifth round pick for losing WR Danny Amendola. Korte says that there is a chance this could wind up being the first compensatory pick in the sixth round.
Seventh round pick for losing OT Cameron Fleming.
The Patriots will not receive compensatory picks for losing RB Dion Lewis or DB Johnson Bademosi because they were canceled out by New England’s addition of EDGE Adrian Clayborn and RB Jeremy Hill.

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2019, 06:38:29 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

I agree with mid tier OL guys wanting to come here. They learn from Scar and then get PAID. Lol

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2019, 06:48:11 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
How are some of these teams (example: Rams, Lions, Eagles, etc.) able to just throw money and make splashes through signings/trades almost yearly yet the Pats seem to be cap-stricken  :o  :P

Like some of these guys we know aren't worth the massive contracts they get but you see some of the usual teams make those deals (as if cap mode is off like Madden lol)

Anyways, Humphries was a potential WR target but he signed with TEN for 4/36M. Guessing we'll do a lot of our retooling through the Draft and cheaper signings going forward, which is fine given our limited cap space and also other holes to fill and some other players to re-sign (Gostkowski, JMac, Patterson, etc.)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2019, 07:01:36 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
Just keep in mind that teams that usually "win" the NFL off-season with big FA signings aren't the ones winning games in Jan & Feb.