Author Topic: Stephen A Smith embarrasses himself talking NFL...  (Read 2952 times)

Stephen A Smith embarrasses himself talking NFL...
« on: December 13, 2018, 09:07:44 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
SAS isn't necessarily known for his accuracy, but in one segment, he:

1.  Referenced watching the San Diego Chargers play this season (they play in Los Angeles);

2.  Indicated that he was expecting Spencer Ware to have a good night tonight (he's listed as doubtful);

But, maybe that's just being nit-picky.  Smith went on:

3.  Listed Hunter Henry as a key player for the Chargers tonight (he's been out all year with an ACL injury);

4.  Mentioned Derrick Johnson for the Chiefs (he hasn't played for them in over a year, and currently isn't in the league, last playing for the Raiders).

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/stephen-smith-rings-4-mistakes-wildly-inaccurate-chargers-chiefs-preview-172853190.html

Again, I get that his presence is about screaming into a camera, but at what point do his bosses demand a little bit of substance and accuracy?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Stephen A Smith embarrasses himself talking NFL...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 09:18:04 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Lol, man he’s such a clown. When he released his ‘top 5 all-time’ basketball team I got quite a good laugh. Curry, Durant, LeBron, MJ and Shaq. It’s as if he started watching basketball at the start of 1990.

He’s just unbearable.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 09:51:26 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
SAS isn't necessarily known for his accuracy, but in one segment, he:

1.  Referenced watching the San Diego Chargers play this season (they play in Los Angeles);

2.  Indicated that he was expecting Spencer Ware to have a good night tonight (he's listed as doubtful);

But, maybe that's just being nit-picky.  Smith went on:

3.  Listed Hunter Henry as a key player for the Chargers tonight (he's been out all year with an ACL injury);

4.  Mentioned Derrick Johnson for the Chiefs (he hasn't played for them in over a year, and currently isn't in the league, last playing for the Raiders).

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/stephen-smith-rings-4-mistakes-wildly-inaccurate-chargers-chiefs-preview-172853190.html

Again, I get that his presence is about screaming into a camera, but at what point do his bosses demand a little bit of substance and accuracy?

Fake news
Yup

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 10:07:44 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
could have just titled the thread "Stephen A Smith embarrasses himself" and left it at that without any followup.  pretty much sums up everything you can say about him

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 11:14:58 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Stephen A Smith is usually just playing a character.

After Boogie signed with the Warriors, I made a video of Smith contradicting himself in a 24 hour period and posted it on YouTube.  It had 30,000 views until Smith got it pulled from YouTube.  Lol.

I just uploaded it to streamable:  https://streamable.com/597lo

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 10:15:29 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Reportedly being paid $3+ million a year to be misinformed while several others were laid off by ESPN last year.   ::)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 10:52:59 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Lol, man he’s such a clown. When he released his ‘top 5 all-time’ basketball team I got quite a good laugh. Curry, Durant, LeBron, MJ and Shaq. It’s as if he started watching basketball at the start of 1990.

He’s just unbearable.

I'm sorry, but that is a hell of a lineup. Curry and Durant are two of the greatest shooters in history. LeBron and Shaq were both extremely athletic for their size, could overpower anyone, and were all time elite at their positions. And MJ is only considered by most to be the greatest player in NBA (and one of the greatest in all of sports) history. I guess you could make an argument about chemistry or lack of a true power forward, but having LeBron and Durant is extremely enticing.

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 11:49:50 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Guess I’m in minority but I actually find SAS very entertaining and generally on top of his facts notwithstanding his recent slip up. Couldn’t stand him initially but have grown to like him a lot, as feel he has really improved.

He also is an excellent column writer from his newspaper days.

Most importantly (for me) is his respect for our local teams particularly the Celtics and Patriots.

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 11:50:53 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

He’s just unbearable.

I'm sorry, but that is a hell of a lineup. Curry and Durant are two of the greatest shooters in history. LeBron and Shaq were both extremely athletic for their size, could overpower anyone, and were all time elite at their positions. And MJ is only considered by most to be the greatest player in NBA (and one of the greatest in all of sports) history. I guess you could make an argument about chemistry or lack of a true power forward, but having LeBron and Durant is extremely enticing.
Shaq and no PF is what strikes me as strange, as I absolutely could see an argument for Curry, especially if you are playing by modern rules where Curry can't be touched on defense and can hit from anywhere (Jordan and James are widely regarded as the best players at their position ever so their inclusion shouldn't be weird to anyone).  And if modern rules are in play, you might want someone like Durant instead of a more traditional PF like Duncan, Malone, etc. as Durant is basically unguardable under the current system.  As for Shaq, while in a vacuum Wilt, Bill, Kareem, and Hakeem are all better, anyone that watched Shaq during those 3 Lakers title seasons would be hard pressed to not pick him.  That was the most dominant I've ever seen anyone be on a basketball court.  Shaq was a man amongst boys those seasons.  He could do whatever he wanted whenever he wanted like no one else I've seen. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2018, 11:52:50 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
You mean he has embarrassed himself recently? I thought he had been doing that for the last decade.

I will give him credit for always defending the Brady hate from that tool Max Kellerman.

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 01:04:23 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
You mean he has embarrassed himself recently? I thought he had been doing that for the last decade.

I will give him credit for always defending the Brady hate from that tool Max Kellerman.

Well put ...I laugh a SAS alot and occasionally agree with him ...once a year ....that Max is nothing but a loud mouth .....i guess he makes a nice paycheck for being so easy to hate.

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 07:23:05 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Well put ...I laugh a SAS alot and occasionally agree with him ...once a year ....that Max is nothing but a loud mouth .....i guess he makes a nice paycheck for being so easy to hate.

ESPN devoted a segment to Max arguing that Durant isn’t a top-5 player, solely due to PER.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 07:25:25 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
To be fair about the first point, I think almost EVERYONE in the media/talk shows always says San Diego by accident, or even just regularly (they refuse to believe they've left SD lol)

But yeah, that segment was hilarious, especially the reactions of Max and Bruschi during it  :laugh:

THIS! Max Kellerman, Rob Parker, Shannon Sharpe, etc. annoy me whenever they talk Brady and always bring him down (while trying to hype Rodgers and others up way more)  ::) >:(

Remember when Rodgers on 3rd and 2 vs. SEA (down 4, needing a clutch drive) bounced a short pass on to the ground where a receiver was wide open, leading to a 4th down. Can you imagine if Brady did that? He'd get KILLED by these guys. But thank god Stephen A, even Skip Bayless and others defend TB12 and the Pats more often than not
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 08:02:00 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Stephen A Smith has been embarrassing himself for years. He doens't know anything but keeps failing up because he talks loud and with unearned confidence. He's the Donal Trump of sports journalism.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008