Author Topic: Why Kawhi Leonard...we already have him  (Read 22308 times)

Why Kawhi Leonard...we already have him
« on: June 15, 2018, 02:11:37 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I just don't see why people are so hopeful of landing him. I feel like we have a younger version of him in the making in Jaylen Brown on a cost controlled contract and someone who is healthy. Obviously, you can argue KL is better but is he 4-6x better? And isn';t JB on the same career trajectory as KL? Will he ever reach the height of KL? No one can tell. But I'm willing to bet on it. He has athleticism through the roof and his work ethic and drive to be the best matches his athleticism level.

I just don't see why people are so hell bent on getting KL. Look close at the stats:

Kawhi Leonard
Age 20: 7.9ppg/5.1rpg in 24mpg
Age 21: 11.9ppg/6.0rpg in 31mpg
Age 22: 12.8ppg/6.2rpg in 29mpg
Age 23: 16.5ppg/7.2rpg in 32mpg
Age 24: 21.2ppg/ 6.8rpg in 33mpg
Age 25: 25.5ppg/5.8rpg in 33mpg

Jaylen Brown
Age 20: 6.6ppg/3rpg in 17mpg
Age 21: 14.5ppg/5rpg in 31mpg

It's arguable, JB has developed even quicker than KL as he is already nearly matching Season 4 output in his 2nd season.

Re: Why Kawhi Leonard...we already have him
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 02:14:32 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Yeah, I'd rather keep Jaylen and Jayson.  Having two young, cost controlled star caliber players is a huge advantage for the team right now.  Why mess with that?  Kawhi is a very good player but who knows what his health issues are, and adding him would seriously screw with the cap situation after this year.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 02:16:15 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 995
JB had great surrounding casts and an exceptional coach in his second year.

Although one can argue that his two best teammates were sitting out the entire year.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 02:18:24 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 652
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I am not moving major pieces for anyone. Let James go West with Leonard.

Boston needs to add a good piece at #27, resign Smart and Baynes and tweak their bench. Not trading young guys with a massive upside and great contracts.

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 02:20:32 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
JB had great surrounding casts and an exceptional coach in his second year.

Although one can argue that his two best teammates were sitting out the entire year.

Kawhi Leonard had arguably a better coach in Pops and a better supporting cast (Tony Parker, Manu Gionbli, Stephen Jackson, Tim Duncan).

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 02:20:38 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
it will be interesting

potential LA lineup of Leonard/LeBron/PG

but since LeBron is potentially going out west, let him duke it out with Golden State, and Houston year in and year out

open up the road to the finals (hopefully cake walk for the Celtics if we are healthy) vs any battle scarred Western team

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 02:23:30 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I'm not for trade, but there are plenty of question marks around Jaylen and no guarantee that he eventually puts it together enough to be a star (i.e., multiple time all star).

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 02:24:45 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
I would hate to lose Jaylen. He's my favorite current Celtic.

But obviously if Ainge and the front-office think it's a good deal, then I'd trust their call.

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 02:25:56 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I really don't want to give up Jaylen..
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 02:29:03 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
I'm not for trade, but there are plenty of question marks around Jaylen and no guarantee that he eventually puts it together enough to be a star (i.e., multiple time all star).

What gives you this perspective?

Nearly every stat shows that he is reaching new heights and potential. (Year-over-Year (YoY): FG% 454 vs. 465, 3P% .341 vs. .395, eFG .508 vs. .540)

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 02:33:44 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 995
I'm just saying guys, Leonard is just a rental. It's one thing to lose him for nothing, but it's another thing to lose him to the Lakers. This is just like the whole Jimmy Butler/Paul George thing of last year.

Don't do it!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 02:34:11 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
The only reasons not to give up Jaylen for Leonard are concerns about his health and whether or not he'd be willing to re-sign here. Brown is a very good defender and has looked good on offense, but Kawhi Leonard is a two-time DPOY and averaged over 25ppg just 2 years ago. Having high hopes for Brown is great, but expecting him to be as good as Kawhi Leonard is unreasonable

All that said, I don't see us trading for him (either due to injury, not trusting he'll re-sign, or [most likely] the price being too high for us to pay without ripping the team apart or giving up Tatum)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 02:36:33 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

What gives you this perspective?

Nearly every stat shows that he is reaching new heights and potential. (Year-over-Year (YoY): FG% 454 vs. 465, 3P% .341 vs. .395, eFG .508 vs. .540)
The two biggest question marks are his feel for the game (for his age) and his handle.  Both lead to Brown getting into situations that where mistakes are made.  I'm not sure I know of another player that gets his shot blocked as much as he does. 

Mind you, I'm not calling him a bad player but how does he go from below average for his age (on feel for the game) to average or above?  These are things he needs to overcome to become a star.

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 02:37:50 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
The only reasons not to give up Jaylen for Leonard are concerns about his health and whether or not he'd be willing to re-sign here. Brown is a very good defender and has looked good on offense, but Kawhi Leonard is a two-time DPOY and averaged over 25ppg just 2 years ago. Having high hopes for Brown is great, but expecting him to be as good as Kawhi Leonard is unreasonable

All that said, I don't see us trading for him (either due to injury, not trusting he'll re-sign, or [most likely] the price being too high for us to pay without ripping the team apart or giving up Tatum)
Completely agree. 

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 02:45:01 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Ainge...do NOT trade Tatum for Kawhi. Got it??😡😡

Brown, .Morris, Smart and 2 high picks.

First Kawhi has to agree to extension before any deal is done.