Author Topic: Porzingis injury updates (soleus strain)  (Read 38302 times)

G-Bones, Indocelts and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: Porzingis injury updates (soleus strain)
« Reply #375 on: Yesterday at 11:50:07 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3042
  • On To Banner 18!
Game 1 of the Finals is 13 days from today (nearly 2 full weeks). If we beat IND in 5 games, then I think it's okay to shelve Porzingis. I understand the "rust" arguments, but for a guy like KP you also risk him reaggravating something and then suddenly missing all of the Finals.

Might be better to get KP back at 85%+ around June 6 as opposed to early next week at around 65-70% and still some greater risk of another calf injury flaring up.

Now if IND takes the next two in a row, you may have to consider it. But if BOS goes up 3-0 or 3-1 I think they can survive and it won't be worth KP potentially getting hurt again right before the actual Finals. The fact that he hasn't formally practiced yet + Mazzulla being mum about it makes me think he's not super close. Not to say he's "far away" but I think it's very unlikely he can go any of the next 2 games. Maybe even Game 5 unavailable.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #376 on: Yesterday at 12:03:37 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 548
If we go up 3-0 then I think you treat Game 4 like a pre-season game as it pertains to Porzingis. Give him some minutes to get his feet under him - don't make him a major part of the game plan. If there's a Game 5, then you give him a few more etc.

« Reply #377 on: Yesterday at 06:03:53 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 748
If we go up 3-0 then I think you treat Game 4 like a pre-season game as it pertains to Porzingis. Give him some minutes to get his feet under him - don't make him a major part of the game plan. If there's a Game 5, then you give him a few more etc.
This is my thinking, too. Even if it looks like a sweep is imminent, give him 12 minutes to start getting his legs under him.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #378 on: Yesterday at 06:37:10 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2563
Do you all trust Celtics brass, medical staff, and KP to make the most pragmatic decision(s) related to Porzingis’ return to the court?
They have so much more information than we have and I have to believe they aren’t stupid. They may not end up making the right decision but it has to built upon more data than the decision any of us would make. So, I’ll trust them.

« Reply #379 on: Yesterday at 07:32:39 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
My biggest hope is that Porzingis will be able to play again this season, at all. I'm not convinced he will be but we shall see. That aside I hope the team plays him when he is cleared to play. I'd prefer not to see them bring him back too soon, but I also think it would be folly to give him additional rest, in some sort of attempt to preserve him. It would be far from ideal to attempt to reintegrate him into the lineup in the Finals.

It's been nearly a month since he last played, and the team has had to somewhat move on without him. It could very easily upset the flow of the team trying to reintegrate such a major piece, and to do so in a setting where you can ill afford to give away even a single game could be problematic. But it is out of our hands, we just have to hope he can play at all, and trust that the team makes the right decision as to when and how to bring him back.

« Reply #380 on: Yesterday at 11:57:52 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 570
I'm surprised so many people appear pessimistic on KP returning. When WOJ reports that a guy is targeting a specific game that usually means there's a pretty good chance he's back for that game.

Everything we've heard seems to indicate the Celtics and KP think he'll return at some point this series. I don't see what reason we'd have to think that's not realistic given it pretty closely matches the expected injury timetable.

Bottom line: He'll play when he's ready, there's no point in sitting him longer than need be. When you're 100%, you're 100%. You don't get bonus health for extra rest, and there's some benefit to getting reps in before the finals.

I think he's back no later than game one of the finals.

« Reply #381 on: Today at 12:31:28 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1629
Do you all trust Celtics brass, medical staff, and KP to make the most pragmatic decision(s) related to Porzingis’ return to the court?
They have so much more information than we have and I have to believe they aren’t stupid. They may not end up making the right decision but it has to built upon more data than the decision any of us would make. So, I’ll trust them.

agreed. we do not know jack. they do. i will defer to the experts
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #382 on: Today at 12:32:01 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1629
This is my thinking, too. Even if it looks like a sweep is imminent, give him 12 minutes to start getting his legs under him.

yup. slowly get him back ina nd getting minutes
LET'S GO CELTICS!