Author Topic: 2020 Red Sox Thread  (Read 82345 times)

Re: 2019 Red Sox Thread
« Reply #225 on: July 27, 2019, 09:26:16 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
If Sale comes out tomorrow and looks great while the Sox throw down another 10+ runs on this Skankee staff, I am going to start to get very excited about the Sox again.

Never give up. Never surrender.

I have to agree.  The Sox look like they are playing with a purpose now, much like all of last year.  If they can get the pen in order and play tough like this weekend for the remainder of the season look out.

I second that. You just hope it's not too little too late and you also hope it's not a tease. But so far this weekend, the Sox have punched the Yankees in the mouth and it's eerily similar to that 4 game series sweep in Fenway last August when the Sox pretty much won the division.

« Reply #226 on: July 27, 2019, 09:42:35 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Henry refused to go over the cap and pay the tax penalty caused by Sandoval's $19M salary, depriving the Champion Red Sox of a top closer. It turns out that has been the difference all season, if you count the 20+ blown saves.  The team just didn't have a closer commensurate with the abilities of the rest of the team. It lacked a bullpen anchor, and it still doesn't have one. They've scored 10+ runs each in the first three games against NY, and they needed them.

The other factor was the overmanaging of Sale--with good intentions, but it just didn't work out. He just couldn't get his rhythm. Is there a harder word to spell than rhythm? I have to look it up every time.

« Reply #227 on: July 27, 2019, 11:48:46 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
If Sale comes out tomorrow and looks great while the Sox throw down another 10+ runs on this Skankee staff, I am going to start to get very excited about the Sox again.

Never give up. Never surrender.

By Grabthar's Hammer! Anyone who quotes Galaxy Quest gets a TP from me.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #228 on: July 28, 2019, 12:31:17 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Too bad this drubbing didn't take place in New York, would've been nice seeing the Yankee fans crying

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #229 on: July 28, 2019, 04:03:28 AM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
Henry refused to go over the cap and pay the tax penalty caused by Sandoval's $19M salary, depriving the Champion Red Sox of a top closer. It turns out that has been the difference all season, if you count the 20+ blown saves.  The team just didn't have a closer commensurate with the abilities of the rest of the team. It lacked a bullpen anchor, and it still doesn't have one. They've scored 10+ runs each in the first three games against NY, and they needed them.

The other factor was the overmanaging of Sale--with good intentions, but it just didn't work out. He just couldn't get his rhythm. Is there a harder word to spell than rhythm? I have to look it up every time.
I agree with all your comments.  I am hoping that the over managing of Sale will help him dominate for the rest of the season. 

« Reply #230 on: July 28, 2019, 12:57:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I agree with all your comments.  I am hoping that the over managing of Sale will help him dominate for the rest of the season.
I heard Cora on the radio the other day, and I wonder if his input was a deciding factor in not having a typical closer.

He spoke about having your best guy go against their best guys, usually 1-4 hitters in the lineup. In the last 3 innings that is your high leverage situation, getting those batters out when they come to the plate in the last three innings and it doesn't matter which inning it is. Then you use other guys to get out their weaker 5-9 guys in the lineup.

I think Cora wanted to try this system out instead of having the typical 9th inning guy, who is your best reliever, getting outs in the 9th inning regardless of who they are facing. Apparently there are some advanced stats that state this approach is more likely to yield a positive result. And, it sure does eliminate having to overpay someone to be a closer.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 07:32:40 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #231 on: July 28, 2019, 01:53:01 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I heard Cora on the radio the other day, and I wonder if his input was a deciding factor in not having a typical closer.

He spoke about having your best guy go against their best guys, usually 1-4 hitters in the lineup. In the last 3 innings that is your high leverage situation, getting those batters out when they come to the plate in the last three innings and it doesn't matter which inning it is. Then you use other guys to get out their weaker 5-9 guys in the lineup.

I think Cora wanted to try this system out instead of having the typical 9th inning guy, who is your best reliever, getting outs in the 9th inning regardless of who they are facing. Apparently their are some advanced stats that state this approach is more likely to yield a positive result. Add, it sure does eliminate having to overpay someone to be a closer.

Yep.  This was their thinking going into the season, and the Sox aren’t the only team to try this approach.  There is some new age thinking with how to utilize pitchers the last couple years with openers, bulk pitchers, and now this.   Sometimes the most important time of the game for a reliever isn’t the 9th with a 3 run lead facing the the 7, 8, 9 hitters, but the 7th in a 1 run game facing the top of the order.

Barnes was their guy for this situation however Cora acknowledged recently they decided it's not best to have just 1 guy for this role as Barnes was overused in June, and got a little burnt out.  So they are trying to mix it up more, and I think Barnes has only 8 appearances this month (think he had around 15 in June). Having more options with Eovaldi, Hernandez, and Taylor certainly helps keeps everyone fresh.

« Reply #232 on: July 28, 2019, 01:56:53 PM »

• Satch Sanders

I think Cora wanted to try this system out instead of having the typical 9th inning guy, who is your best reliever, getting outs in the 9th inning regardless of who they are facing. Apparently their are some advanced stats that state this approach is more likely to yield a positive result. Add, it sure does eliminate having to overpay someone to be a closer.

Speaking of overpaid closers, Kimbrel now has a 6.75 ERA and a 1.69 WHIP. Prior to this season, he'd had only one game in which he allowed multiple homers—but he's done it twice in 12 appearances this season.

I'm so glad Boston didn't pony up for him; he's way too unstable now.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #233 on: July 28, 2019, 02:45:46 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Raisel Iglesias is a closer with 3 more years on his contract

I get it. He'd be a great pick up. I just don't know if the Sox have the prospects to satisfy the Reds demands. DD has traded alot of prospects over the years to get us Sale, Kimbrel, Eovaldi, Nunez, Kinsler, etc.

« Reply #234 on: August 17, 2019, 06:37:07 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Sale is on IR now and Dr Andrews will be looking at mri. That extension that kicks in next year could be a big albatross for many years. 145 M for five years...[dang]....

https://twitter.com/peteabe/status/1162839378550562818?s=21

« Reply #235 on: August 17, 2019, 06:44:49 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Sale is on IR now and Dr Andrews will be looking at mri. That extension that kicks in next year could be a big albatross for many years. 145 M for five years...[dang]....

All the heroes of last year's postseason run have basically fallen apart physically after we re-signed them.

« Reply #236 on: August 17, 2019, 07:30:06 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Wow, talk about it not being your year. Sox are going to need another pitcher this offseason. Now with this news, this rotation is questionable at best. Gerrit Cole would be nice.

« Reply #237 on: August 17, 2019, 07:46:01 PM »

• Satch Sanders

Wow, talk about it not being your year. Sox are going to need another pitcher this offseason. Now with this news, this rotation is questionable at best. Gerrit Cole would be nice.

The rotation, IMO, was already questionable given Porcello's awful season, the instability at the No. 5 spot, and Sale's struggles this season. I really think they may have to make Sale a very high-priced relief pitcher if they're gonna get anything significant out of him for the remainder of his contract. Between being a twig, throwing hard, and reaching age 30, he may just not be physically capable of being a starter anymore.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #238 on: August 17, 2019, 07:46:01 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

I think Cora wanted to try this system out instead of having the typical 9th inning guy, who is your best reliever, getting outs in the 9th inning regardless of who they are facing. Apparently there are some advanced stats that state this approach is more likely to yield a positive result. And, it sure does eliminate having to overpay someone to be a closer.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if it was Cora’s idea not to have a closer, as he seems to like this carousel of starters relieving and relievers starting. Personally, I hate it! Cora is going to suddenly change the way the game has been played for over 100 years? This closer by committee thing never works!

And personally, I think Cora should be on the hot seat for not having the team ready to begin the season.

« Reply #239 on: August 17, 2019, 07:53:27 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522

Bad contracts are pretty close to irrelevant to the Red Sox.  Their payroll advantage obviously isn’t unlimited but it sure has allowed them to survive same big mistakes.