Author Topic: Draft targets at #9 (If the Memphis pick conveys)  (Read 4255 times)

Draft targets at #9 (If the Memphis pick conveys)
« on: January 14, 2019, 11:31:25 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Probably not available at #9 (but it they are its nice)
-Cam Reddish
-Nassir Little

Likely Available:
-Kevin porter
-Romeo Langford
-Jarrett Culver
-Deandre Hunter
-Hachimura
-Doumbouya
-Jontay porter
-Quintin Grimes

-Kz impala
-Keldon Johnson
-Nickeil Alexander-Walker
-Charles Bassey
-Bol Bol

Bolded the ones  the Stepien believe are high tier prospects

Draft prospect resources:
https://www.thestepien.com/
https://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft
http://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft

My opinion: Bol Bol would have been optimal at this spot had he not had that stress fracture on his foot. Some nice wings will be available. If Nassir Little is available, it Wouldn't be a bad choice. Cam reddish is just not going to be available at 9 otherwise he is unanimously the obvious choice. If little or reddish isn't available then go for a wing like Kevin Porter, Keldon Johnson, Romeo Langford, or culver. Any of these guys appear to be talented wings with upside.

Then at Kings Pick it might be good to try to go for a versatile center like Jontay Porter or the floor spacing center Bol Bol with the Kings pick around 11 to 14.

Walking away from the lottery with a duo like Nassir Little and Jontay Porter would be a win
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 11:58:58 AM by CelticsElite »

Re: Draft targets at #9 (If the Memphis pick conveys)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 11:59:06 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
This is going to be a tough year for our draft. Last thing we need is another wing.

Wonder if Darius Garland will be around. Tankathon has him going at #6-8.

Mike

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 12:01:57 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
This is going to be a tough year for our draft. Last thing we need is another wing.

Wonder if Darius Garland will be around. Tankathon has him going at #6-8.

Mike
Darius garland would be a great choice as well for bolstering the Bench with a new point guard, as well as potential rozier replacement

I don't see an issue with another wing as we likely move on from Morris.

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 12:54:31 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
I think this is somewhat of a dud draft - Hachimura or Garland would be nice with the picks, but ideally we ship the picks out in a deal for AD.

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 03:02:40 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
I think this is somewhat of a dud draft - Hachimura or Garland would be nice with the picks, but ideally we ship the picks out in a deal for AD.

I would guess that the vast majority of posters on here would happily do so.

Should that not happen, it's fun to speculate.

Mike

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 09:57:00 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
I dislike grading drafts. Why is it a dud? Everyone thought the wiggins/parker draft was super amazing before the draft...What happened there? Marcus smart 2nd best player of the top 10

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 10:07:33 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I dislike grading drafts. Why is it a dud? Everyone thought the wiggins/parker draft was super amazing before the draft...What happened there? Marcus smart 2nd best player of the top 10

It's also very early to be considering it a dud draft before the tournament...

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 10:54:19 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

It's also very early to be considering it a dud draft before the tournament...

agreed.

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 11:07:03 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224

I don’t see much elite talent in this draft outside of Barrett and Williamson to be honest. I think those are the only two guys who can come in and move the needle right away for teams. It’s also a very weak draft in terms of point guards and shooters, arguably two of the most important assets teams can have in the modern NBA. I see a lot of good 2nd string bigs and good defensive wings coming from this class, not much more than that.

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 11:22:02 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

I don’t see much elite talent in this draft outside of Barrett and Williamson to be honest. I think those are the only two guys who can come in and move the needle right away for teams. It’s also a very weak draft in terms of point guards and shooters, arguably two of the most important assets teams can have in the modern NBA. I see a lot of good 2nd string bigs and good defensive wings coming from this class, not much more than that.
did you also happen to believe the wiggins /parker draft was going to be good ?

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 09:26:18 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Keldon Johnson and Kevin Porter should have been absolutely be bolded in the OP and Grimes not even on the list. Not that they're elite but they are lottery picks where Grimes is not. He may even go back to school next season.
One thing about Porter is his attitude. Maybe he's getting bad advice from agent/family but he should really return to the team and play the rest of the season. He's really good but he needs to prove it in conference games.
Johnson is on a deep team but he has a very quiet but efficient game.

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 10:07:27 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

I don't think people thought it was that good a draft.  I certainly didn't, and I don't remember that sentiment from too many.  What I remember was that Embiid established himself as a generational prospect, perhaps better than AD and Simmons both until his injury, so maybe if he was healthy that draft would've looked a lot better.

I think people get this impression a lot because the previous draft was the Anthony Bennett draft, a horrendous draft, so then the Embiid/Smart draft next year looked stacked in comparison because people thought Smart would've gone first over Bennett if he's come out as a freshman, and he went 6th coming out as a sophomore. 

But to support your argument in a way that complies with mine, the last 2 draft classes have been really good and this year's doesn't look as good.  So in the same way the Smart draft may have looked great

Ultimately I believe we agree- no matter the draft hype, there ought to be some very talented players to be had outside the top 3-5.  Even guys we discover have all star potential, potential that we simply aren't seeing from them now when they're kids without getting pro-level development or playing in an NBA caliber offense next to the right pieces.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 10:12:53 AM by smokeablount »
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 10:24:08 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I really hope this pick rolls over, and if he wants out I somewhat hope they trade Gasol now to ensure it does roll over (tho if they kept him this year but he walked, AND the pick rolled over that might be best outcome, since they'd get no returning players of value that would make the team better next year when the pick is top 6 protected). 

While I'm sure we could get a good young player, I don't think this is a great draft class, and I think the pick next year is probably a better asset.  Next year's draft could be a better / deeper draft class, that pick should be a higher pick, and if Gasol is gone it could roll over to fully unprotected. 

If there's a total stud slated to be at 9 or who drops to 9, I could change my mind.  I haven't watched any college ball outside of Duke once or twice, but it seems like Porter is a guy who could be a home run pick at 9 (but not KJ).  Or if next year's draft looks worse or shallower than this, I could change my mind.  But for now, I'm hoping for top 8.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 12:28:56 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

did you also happen to believe the wiggins /parker draft was going to be good ?
That draft was thought to be good but not super amazing as you previously stated.  Embiid was injured.  Parker had ACL history.  Exum was a big question. 

As it turns out, it was actually a good draft.  Embiid is the only star but there are a lot of starters and solid rotational players.  Now if someone actually thought Wiggins was going to be the next Lebron or Smart was going to be a multi-year all-star I can see how they'd be disappointed in that draft. 

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 03:16:56 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I don't remember all that much hype for 2009 and 2011 drafts.