Poll

In September 2022, how good will RWIII be?

no longer playing pro basketball
0 (0%)
out of the NBA (overseas, BIG3, etc.)
0 (0%)
fringe NBA player [G League/two-way/training camp filler/10-day candidate (e.g., James Young, RJ Hunter)]
3 (4.7%)
NBA - end of bench player (fully guaranteed contract)
12 (18.8%)
NBA - key rotation player/borderline starter
17 (26.6%)
NBA starter
28 (43.8%)
NBA star
4 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: Poll Prediction: In September 2022, how good will RWIII be...  (Read 3016 times)

Re: Poll Prediction: In September 2022, how good will RWIII be...
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2018, 05:28:15 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
In 2022 he should be better than Capela and D.Jordan by clear margin

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2018, 05:39:15 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
He already knows how good he will be in 2022 because Time Lord has already been there.

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2018, 08:05:47 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
His skill set offers Capela upside as is, if he applies himself and the coaching staff does their job to integrate him. A pg with the passing ability of Kyrie can make a player like him an exceptional rim runner. If he learns the pick and roll, look out. And if he really puts it all together and develops a remotely consistent jumper, I think he has Draymond potential, just not giving off the vibes of the high bball IQ and competitiveness of Green.

Realistically, I think him being the 8th or 9th guy in the rotation and a 8/10/2blk per game player would be awesome.

That's exactly the type of player I was thinking as well. Right now he can't create his own shot or post up but he's been lethal rolling to the rim off pick and rolls. Apparently his focus right now on the offensive end is how to be a better screener because that's how he can immediately contribute. Obviously defensively he's a solid rim protector, just needs to get better when he is switched on quicker, smaller players.

I completely agree with both of you.  The eye test tells me that Williams is a a more athletic version of Capela.  Sure enough, this appears to be true according to their vertical leap measurements.  Capela registered at 31.5 inches vs Williams at 40 inches.  Capela is a great athlete, whereas the Time Lord falls into freak territory.

I will go out on a limb and say that Williams will be better than Capela and Jordan in 2022.  My reasoning is mostly due to the situation he is in.  Player development is one of Brad Stevens' strongest qualities, and I believe the work ethic of the team will rub off on Williams.

Who really knows though.  Does Williams end up putting in the work for more than the first few seasons, or does he eventually become too comfortable once he establishes himself?  You can't really teach the motivation to be great.   

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2018, 05:02:01 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I don't see Williams getting anywhere in Boston with Stevens as the coach. The kid looked great playing 15-20 minutes for a couple of games, blocking a ton of shots.

Then the next game against Detroit, with Horford out, instead of matching him against Drummond, Stevens played him 10 minutes while Drummond was destroying the Celtics. Did I miss something there?

Stevens is going to be around another 6 years--didn't he get a contract extension? So I don't see much future for that kid in Boston.

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2018, 05:25:06 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
On another team, is my prediction.

As for what role, I'm going to say 15-20 minute backup because that's where pretty much all non shooting centers are headed these days.
Except for all the non-shooting big men who are still influential in the league.

Drummond, Gobert, Capela, Whiteside, DeAndre Jordan, Steven Adams & Dwight Howard (this season has been quite a roller coaster for him, but he is still a starter) are all still influential guys with no shooting ability who are big players on their team.

Then there are youngsters like Jarrett Allen, DeAndre Ayton, Mitchell Robinson and our very own TimeLord who all look like they’ll be influential players in the long run. Really not sure where your claim of the extinction of non-shooting big men comes from. Not to mention the growing trend of previously non-shooting big men like Gasol, Aldridge, Lopez & Vucevic developing range.

I didn't say extinction.  If you look at most of these rim-runner / rim-protector type centers, all but the very very best of them are playing 20-28 minutes a night. 

That's not the same thing as being "exctinct," nor is it the same thing as not being important or influential.

A valuable role player that gets 18-24 minutes a game or so --- this seems like a reasonable yet optimistic prediction re: our Celtic from Gallifrey.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2018, 05:27:01 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I don't see Williams getting anywhere in Boston with Stevens as the coach. The kid looked great playing 15-20 minutes for a couple of games, blocking a ton of shots.

Then the next game against Detroit, with Horford out, instead of matching him against Drummond, Stevens played him 10 minutes while Drummond was destroying the Celtics. Did I miss something there?

Stevens is going to be around another 6 years--didn't he get a contract extension? So I don't see much future for that kid in Boston.

I don't see how we can come to any conclusions based on a few games in RWIII's rookie season.  Maybe he isn't comfortable enough to execute our offensive sets and/or defensive schemes on a consistent basis.  It's a learning process in Brad's system.  I'm sure he will contribute in certain spots, and look like somewhat of a liability in others. 

We should look no further than Jaylen Brown for an example of a raw prospect in Brad's system.  Jaylen had a 31 game stretch in his rookie year where he only averaged 13 MPG.  Brad often pulled him from the game for missed rotations, regardless of whether or not he made a few shots.