Poll

Should the Celtics trade for AD?

Yes.  (Tatum in the deal)
22 (44.9%)
No.   (Not worth giving up assets for a one year rental)
19 (38.8%)
Yes but only if Tatum isn't in the deal.
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Anthony Davis traded to Lakers(page 272)  (Read 338832 times)

Re: Anthony Davis Trade Thread (Merged Threads)
« Reply #435 on: January 23, 2019, 07:41:33 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The Pelicans will be asking for Jayson Tatum, not Jaylen Brown.

Doesnt matter

They cant get everything

« Reply #436 on: January 23, 2019, 09:01:11 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
The Pelicans will be asking for Jayson Tatum, not Jaylen Brown.

I'm sure they will ask for both, plus our stash of picks, and will not accept any counter offers that do not include Tatum.

If they ask for both Ainge will just hang up.

If it's just Tatum, whatever salary + picks, then it'd hurt a bit but Ainge will do it I imagine.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #437 on: January 23, 2019, 10:17:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If we have to trade Tatum all we are losing is the difference in player quality between Tatum and Brown long term. How much is that, really?

Is Tatum/Horford/Davis/Irving/Hayward really all that much better long term than Brown/Horford/Davis/Irving/Hayward? Is how good Tatum makes that fivesome than Brown does really so much that you refuse to trade Tatum? I don't think so. You send Tatum rather than Brown if that's what New Orleans wants for Davis. End of discussion because what Tatum brings to the game more than Brown isn't enough to turn down a top 3 player in the league who is only 25-26 years old.

« Reply #438 on: January 23, 2019, 10:29:17 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
If we have to trade Tatum all we are losing is the difference in player quality between Tatum and Brown long term. How much is that, really?

Is Tatum/Horford/Davis/Irving/Hayward really all that much better long term than Brown/Horford/Davis/Irving/Hayward? Is how good Tatum makes that fivesome than Brown does really so much that you refuse to trade Tatum? I don't think so. You send Tatum rather than Brown if that's what New Orleans wants for Davis. End of discussion because what Tatum brings to the game more than Brown isn't enough to turn down a top 3 player in the league who is only 25-26 years old.

Is there a way for us to acquire Davis without trading Smart too? I’d hate to lose the heart of this team to acquire him but we may have to because of $$$ I think  :(

« Reply #439 on: January 23, 2019, 10:32:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Is there a way for us to acquire Davis without trading Smart too? I’d hate to lose the heart of this team to acquire him but we may have to because of $$$ I think  :(
I don't think so. Smart's $12.5 million contract is the only one on the team that helps to facilitate the trade. Smart is gone if Davis is coming our way. At least in my opinion.

« Reply #440 on: January 23, 2019, 10:34:15 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

I don't think so. Smart's $12.5 million contract is the only one on the team that helps to facilitate the trade. Smart is gone if Davis is coming our way. At least in my opinion.

Wonder how much Tatum, Clippers Pick, Kings Pick, Yabusele + Williams counts as $$$. Obviously part of it depends on where those picks land as well. This is where I wish a potential S&T involving Rozier could aid us a bit in salary-matching. And yeah MEM pick would be a part of it too but we’re assuming that conveys 2020.

« Reply #441 on: January 23, 2019, 11:12:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Wonder how much Tatum, Clippers Pick, Kings Pick, Yabusele + Williams counts as $$$. Obviously part of it depends on where those picks land as well. This is where I wish a potential S&T involving Rozier could aid us a bit in salary-matching. And yeah MEM pick would be a part of it too but we’re assuming that conveys 2020.
Not nearly enough. I think an optimistic look at where Sacramento's pick lands is 10th and that's only around $4 million. The Clippers pick would be best case 15th though I doubt as the West's 8th seed they would be worse than every playoff team in the East so 17th -18th sounds more likely a landing spot. That means maybe $2.2 million. Add that to Tatum's $7.8 million, Williams $1.9 million and Yabu's $3.1 million and that comes to $19 million.

Davis makes $27 million which means Boston needs to send a minimum of $21.6 million. Only way the trade works is if you include Boston's signed first rounder and Ojeleye. Meaning New Orleans needs to make sure they have 7 roster spots available to make that trade which it looks like they would if they rescind their rights most all of their free agents.

So I guess it's possible but Smart being involved makes much more sense.

« Reply #442 on: January 23, 2019, 11:22:31 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Can we please not trade Williams!!!  I waited for 2 years to get him on the team.  He'd be a nice fit with AD when Horford ages out. 

« Reply #443 on: January 23, 2019, 11:30:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Can we please not trade Williams!!!  I waited for 2 years to get him on the team.  He'd be a nice fit with AD when Horford ages out.
Kinda think NO would want a center coming back if Boston can send one. Williams fits that bill and would not be getting any minutes to develop and God knows, he is going to need to develop. I would rather have Davis be my defensive anchor than Williams anyway.

« Reply #444 on: January 24, 2019, 01:23:25 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Yeah, I'd give them Tatum if that's what they demanded, but I'd also tell them that means I'm not giving them as many 'other' assets as I would if they were getting Brown.

« Reply #445 on: January 24, 2019, 02:09:21 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

Horford, Tatum, and a pick or picks for Anthony Davis works.

The Pels will most probably insist the Celts include Rob Williams.

« Reply #446 on: January 24, 2019, 09:19:32 PM »

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27

Not nearly enough. I think an optimistic look at where Sacramento's pick lands is 10th and that's only around $4 million. The Clippers pick would be best case 15th though I doubt as the West's 8th seed they would be worse than every playoff team in the East so 17th -18th sounds more likely a landing spot. That means maybe $2.2 million. Add that to Tatum's $7.8 million, Williams $1.9 million and Yabu's $3.1 million and that comes to $19 million.

Davis makes $27 million which means Boston needs to send a minimum of $21.6 million. Only way the trade works is if you include Boston's signed first rounder and Ojeleye. Meaning New Orleans needs to make sure they have 7 roster spots available to make that trade which it looks like they would if they rescind their rights most all of their free agents.

Can someone explain to me how a Rozier S&T could possibly work in this regard? Maybe we could include him in a package with Tatum + picks + 1 more player and get it to work salary-wise. Pelicans may also like Rozier themselves. Like Rozier, Tatum, Williams + 2-3 future Picks? 

« Reply #447 on: January 24, 2019, 09:38:50 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

Can someone explain to me how a Rozier S&T could possibly work in this regard? Maybe we could include him in a package with Tatum + picks + 1 more player and get it to work salary-wise. Pelicans may also like Rozier themselves. Like Rozier, Tatum, Williams + 2-3 future Picks?

That's a big "if".

No problem if the Pels want Rozier and they're willing to give Rozier a big contract.
But what if the Pels don't want Rozier?

Rozier can be signed to a new contract, by the Celts, then immediately traded to the Pels.
Celts have 48 hours to consummate the sign and trade.
If it's not done within 48 hours, the contract is void.
No deal happens.

« Reply #448 on: January 24, 2019, 10:16:46 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740

https://twitter.com/dangercart/status/1088524039986077697
Just putting this out there:
If BOS has a quiet deadline, they could waive Bird and look to sign someone with the Tax MLE w/ a 2nd non-guaranteed year. Would cost a lot w/ tax, but they could guarantee them for $ matching in a future AD trade, or waive if that never happens.

based on the above, could that help avoid trading Smart?

« Reply #449 on: January 24, 2019, 10:19:46 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

https://twitter.com/dangercart/status/1088524039986077697
Just putting this out there:
If BOS has a quiet deadline, they could waive Bird and look to sign someone with the Tax MLE w/ a 2nd non-guaranteed year. Would cost a lot w/ tax, but they could guarantee them for $ matching in a future AD trade, or waive if that never happens.

based on the above, could that help avoid trading Smart?

A non-guaranteed second year wouldn’t do any good, as only guaranteed salary works for matching purposes, I believe. That changed in the last CBA.

Maybe the dude reads CelticsStrong, because I posted this about three hours before he did today:

I have a question about cap rules myself.

If the Celtics sign a free agent to a two-year MLE deal on the final day of the regular season, could we use the Full MLE (rather than the Taxpayer's)?  How much would count against the luxury tax this season? Is the second year salary based upon the actual amount paid (i.e., the pro-rated salary), or the full MLE?

If we could, I think we'd essentially have a $9 million expiring contract next year to use for trade purposes.  However, there's some risk, as it would have to be a guaranteed contract.

😉

To stay below the apron (and this be eligible for the full MLE) we’d have to clear some salary I think. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 10:25:31 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes