Author Topic: Official Ante Zizic Darussafaka Thread  (Read 45054 times)

Re: Official Ante Zizic Darussafaka Thread
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2017, 09:34:50 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I keep watching these Zizic vids whenever they are posted, but all I see is a guy who is physically dominant in his league and can operate within 5 feet of the rim.  Not saying he won't be good, maybe a Mosgov or Gortat type of big man.

I think Gortat is his ceiling. Maybe a bit lower but i am certain he can give a nice production coming from the bench. Having said that i don"t see him being a solution to the Cs problems. I think it was a smart move to go play in Turkey. Much stronger league. Now his stats will have some true meaning

BTW the first page of the thread is pretty funny. And disturbing at the same time. How can people have so strong opinions about things they have absolutely no clue ?

Well, it is hard to tell for any prospect will he reach his ceiling or not, especially at his age. However, I live in Zagreb and I saw him play at least 40 games, some live. I also have some insight of how his brother approaches his mentoring. I value that, Andrija has a good track dating his playing days. I think Turkish league is stronger than ABA, but the difference is not that huge IMO.
I think that Gortat is a fairly adequate comparison. Some things he will do better. I even believe his mental make-up is better.
He has more fight to him and I imagine he would be even stronger in his core and hips. Steven Adams mold is accurate too.
I am not saying that my opinion is worth in gold but however it plays out I will try to root for any Celtic to succeed.
Thanks for the info, andro. In the games you have watched, has zizic shown any sort of mid-range shooting game?
His midrange game is not good, a young center like.
Accuracy is fine though, his FTs show that.
His release is really slow (not Amir like but very slow, he won't get that shot of in the NBA unless he improves to 3pt range (slim chance) or gets left wide open (hard to expect that cause at the elbow, 15 feet from the basket is close to almost all defenders)
He knows what he does well and he wastes no time doing it.
If we are expecting some pump fake drive game, we will grow beards waiting for it.

TP for the thoughtful scouting report, Androslav.

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2017, 10:26:49 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I keep watching these Zizic vids whenever they are posted, but all I see is a guy who is physically dominant in his league and can operate within 5 feet of the rim.  Not saying he won't be good, maybe a Mosgov or Gortat type of big man.

I think Gortat is his ceiling. Maybe a bit lower but i am certain he can give a nice production coming from the bench. Having said that i don"t see him being a solution to the Cs problems. I think it was a smart move to go play in Turkey. Much stronger league. Now his stats will have some true meaning

BTW the first page of the thread is pretty funny. And disturbing at the same time. How can people have so strong opinions about things they have absolutely no clue ?

Well, it is hard to tell for any prospect will he reach his ceiling or not, especially at his age. However, I live in Zagreb and I saw him play at least 40 games, some live. I also have some insight of how his brother approaches his mentoring. I value that, Andrija has a good track dating his playing days. I think Turkish league is stronger than ABA, but the difference is not that huge IMO.
I think that Gortat is a fairly adequate comparison. Some things he will do better. I even believe his mental make-up is better.
He has more fight to him and I imagine he would be even stronger in his core and hips. Steven Adams mold is accurate too.
I am not saying that my opinion is worth in gold but however it plays out I will try to root for any Celtic to succeed.
Thanks for the info, andro. In the games you have watched, has zizic shown any sort of mid-range shooting game?
His release is really slow (not Amir like but very slow, he won't get that shot of in the NBA unless he improves to 3pt range (slim chance) or gets left wide open (hard to expect that cause at the elbow, 15 feet from the basket is close to almost all defenders)
If we are expecting some pump fake drive game, we will grow beards waiting for it.
How is he defending the pick and roll? Is he able to contain a ball handler on the perimeter or is he more of a drop down pick and roll defender?

Is he a high effort, physical defender?

How is his passing?
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2017, 10:51:47 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
He played his first game for Darussafaka in the Turkish league on the 2nd of January.
12 minutes, 4 points, 0-2 FG, 4-4 FT, 4 rebounds and 4 fouls.

Hopefully he will start to gain more minutes in the future.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2017, 01:01:10 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Game today vs Maccabi. Could be an interesting match up Zizic- Colton Iverson.

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2017, 01:46:16 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

How is he defending the pick and roll? Is he able to contain a ball handler on the perimeter or is he more of a drop down pick and roll defender?

Is he a high effort, physical defender?

How is his passing?

He is fairly good in PNR situations where he has to contain ballhandlers. He is not affraid to go away from the basket and for a guy his size showns good footspeed and willingness. He also does a nice job avoiding contact that drivers initiate to get separation. Allowing him a fair number of blocks on those plays. NBA ball is different, but the tools and motor are there. He is a really phisical guy, he relishes contact. On Box outs, screens...very willing and strong for such a young player. I think in a few years when he gets that grown mans strenght it will be even more evident. For a 6'11 guy he has long arms 7'3" wingspan and low center of gravity.
Passing is not his  skill. His vision is limited, but he has good hands and is good at handoffs. He doesnt have that much ball in his hands to really develop passing and playmaking.
Without the ball he is effective. It is not like he doesnt show promise on postups. Footwork is good for his age.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2017, 03:35:54 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
So Zizic played his first game for David Blatt and Darussafaka tonight. I didnt watch but the line seems alright.

http://www.euroleague.net/main/results/showgame?gamecode=118&seasoncode=E2016

TOMIC, ANTE   25:16   16pts on 8/8,  2 Boards, 5 assists

And the highest Performance Index Rating (whatever that measures?!) at 23

Looking forward to the Tomasz Kordylewski youtube highlights post!

Edit: See below: Tomic and Zizic are different players. -RH

PIR = ( Points + Rebounds + Assists + Steals + Blocks + Fouls Drawn) - (Missed Field Goals + Missed Free Throws + Turnovers + Shots Rejected + Fouls Committed)

If you are into fantasy games,  PIR is ESPN fpts + Fouls Drawn - ( Shots Rejected + Fouls Committed ).

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2017, 04:04:00 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Good game for Zizic in Euroleague
24 min, 14 points, 6/8, 2/2 FT, 9 Reb- 4 off.

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2017, 04:16:23 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
These are Zizic's highlights  vs Barcelona (December 30) put together by Tomasz Kordylewski.

Incidentally, the second YT comment by Merlin Calo is misleading. A team can participate in both the Adriatic League and the Euroleague. Cibona was participating in the Euroleague until three seasons ago, and only withdrew due to financial trouble.

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2017, 04:18:56 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
This is a pretty important skill and one many young players never develop.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2017, 04:42:18 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Good game for Zizic in Euroleague
24 min, 14 points, 6/8, 2/2 FT, 9 Reb- 4 off.

That's encouraging at least

« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2017, 06:14:24 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
zizic highlites up -wow, even a 15 footer-google zizic euro league-
this guy likes to hit offensive boards and likes contact

« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2017, 06:27:27 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
He's playing against guys who are borderline NBA players now, most with a significant edge in age and experience. If he looks good against those guys I think that is a really good sign, given that he just turned 20 yesterday.

« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2017, 06:46:09 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Semi erden had a couple good games for us back in the day. Then doc just benched him for no apparent reason.  Hoping zizic doesn't get the same treatment.

Erden had a shoulder injury.  That's why he went from getting an unusual amount of minutes for a rookie to sitting on the bench and then traded.

That year was so frustrating.   We started the season with Perkins injured from the prior Finals so Danny added Shaq and Jermaine as veteran bigs and brought Semih over from being stashed in Europe.   So while both Shaq and Jermaine were older, that still should have given us 3 healthy centers to start the year with Perkins due to come back mid-season.   You'd think that would be enough depth to cover one spot since they were all there to cover the 5 and only the 5.

Shaq started the season playing great alongside KG.  Jermaine of course got hurt.  Then Shaq got hurt.  Semih actually played very well when called upon (appeared in 37 games, starting 7 of them).  Perk got healthy.  Then Perk got hurt again.  And then even Semih got hurt.

All of a sudden, by the Trade Deadline we had NO HEALTHY CENTER on the roster!  (This was before KG moved to the 5).

Danny actually had to sign a D-Leaguer (Chris Johnson) to play the 5 for us for a bit as he made the trade of Perkins & Nate (who was also injured) for Green & Nenad Krstic.   That was also not long after we lost Marquis Daniels so Danny needed a backup 3 as well as a 5.

And then a little later, Danny signed Troy Murphy to add some size off the bench.

All told, the list of centers that appeared on the roster of the 2010-11 Celtics is long:  Shaq, Semih, Nenad, Chris Johnson, Troy Murphy, Jermaine and Perk.    That's 7 guys to cover one position - but they just couldn't stay freaking HEALTHY!!!

Gyaah - that was so frustrating.

And I'm not even including Glen Davis or KG.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2017, 06:53:21 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
He's playing against guys who are borderline NBA players now, most with a significant edge in age and experience. If he looks good against those guys I think that is a really good sign, given that he just turned 20 yesterday.

Yes, agreed.  And I think the fact that he's going to get half a year of coaching by Blatt is really going to help prepare him for the NBA about as well as one has a right to expect.

He may come to training camp next summer far better prepared to actually contribute than the typical 20 year old rookie.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2017, 06:58:24 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
zizic highlites up -wow, even a 15 footer-google zizic euro league-
this guy likes to hit offensive boards and likes contact

Here are Zizic's highlights from yesterday's game at Maccabi FOX Tel Aviv (24 minutes, 14 points, 9 rebounds):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4puFT7Fe5c

His team (Darussafaka) is in green & white, naturally.   ;D