Author Topic: STOP WALKING THE BALL  (Read 3431 times)

Re: STOP WALKING THE BALL
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 03:34:45 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
The Celtics can only be opportunistic runners. A number of times I saw Rondo take a couple quick strides, but by mid court saw that he was at a 1 on 3 disadvantage, so he slowed up and waited for his teammates.

The Celtics do not have the youth, health to run consistently. I would rather they save that energy for getting back in transition.

They don't have to be a consistent running team, but they HAVE to get into their offense much earlier. It's a must if they want any chance of winning the series. They never get to tthe 2nd or 3rd option because there is no time to get to it.

They generally get into their offense at the 18 second or so mark when Rondo walks the ball up the court. That's plenty of time for a pro team to run their sets. When there's a chance to get something in transition, Rondo runs the ball or passes it up to someone ahead of him. Otherwise, we want a slowish pace. If anyone thinks we'd be better off in a faster paced game against significantly more athletic opponents I'd disagree with them.

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 03:42:42 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
For a point guard who can't score in the half-court, What is Rondo achieving by walking the ball every single play? Its dreadful to watch precious second are being wasted walking the ball up. Does he not know 24second shot clock? Celtics leave themselves no room for error playing that kind of basketball. Everything then becomes a grind.

I'm flabbergasted Doc hasn't addressed walking the ball thing. Doc answer to everything is "Hero Ball" NO DOC!! Its Celtics pace Doc. Year after year the same deficiency persists; the Boston Celtics can't score enough points. And the sole perpetrator is RAJON RONDO walking the ball. Either he picks up the pace, or they will going fishing soon.

Well said, TP.  Even when I coach kids teams who have no shot clock, I yell at them for walking the ball. Then they turn the celtics game on and see Rondo and the big 3 walking the ball up every possession and waiting until 10 seconds are left on the shot clock to go into their offense. Infuriating!

Its not a coincidence Celtics had a lot success with Avery at point. He doesn't mess around with the ball. Get the ball up the court as fast as he can. Celtics get into their sets faster. The ball is moving, and bodies are moving.

No, it's not a coincidence. KG and PP began to play much better than what they were doing at the start of the season and our defense improved significantly. Our offense was worse in the games Rondo missed.

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 03:46:48 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706
The Celtics can only be opportunistic runners. A number of times I saw Rondo take a couple quick strides, but by mid court saw that he was at a 1 on 3 disadvantage, so he slowed up and waited for his teammates.

The Celtics do not have the youth, health to run consistently. I would rather they save that energy for getting back in transition.

They don't have to be a consistent running team, but they HAVE to get into their offense much earlier. It's a must if they want any chance of winning the series. They never get to tthe 2nd or 3rd option because there is no time to get to it.

They generally get into their offense at the 18 second or so mark when Rondo walks the ball up the court. That's plenty of time for a pro team to run their sets. When there's a chance to get something in transition, Rondo runs the ball or passes it up to someone ahead of him. Otherwise, we want a slowish pace. If anyone thinks we'd be better off in a faster paced game against significantly more athletic opponents I'd disagree with them.

From what I have seen, they generally get into their offense with about 10 seconds on the shot clock and run out of time to get to the 2nd or 3rd option and end up taking a bad shot, often a desperation outside jumper, or a forced pass to a turnover.

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 03:58:24 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

From what I have seen, they generally get into their offense with about 10 seconds on the shot clock and run out of time to get to the 2nd or 3rd option and end up taking a bad shot, often a desperation outside jumper, or a forced pass to a turnover.

I don't think that's true at all, unless you don't consider watching Ray run through screens to be part of getting into their offense.

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 07:13:49 PM »

Offline OmarSekou

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
I think slowing the game down was our plan. We're not going to be able to run with the Heat. We want to make things ugly and try to grind out wins.

They are as good at forcing turnovers as Philly and better at capitalizing on them. They are a better transition team than us.

I think if we'd been making our shots early on we would have had a shot.
"Suit up every day."

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 07:21:55 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Or how about this in reverse.
Rondo is ONLY celtic on offensive board last night, rebound full court pass and the other four guys who didn't go for the rebound are nowhere near lebron for easy layup
one of the on air guys painfully pointed it out
kg runs good, paul and ray are noticeably hurt, bass seems to not think at times
now if our guys can't get back on defense how can anyone expect them to fill lanes for fast break when our point guard DRIBBLING can outrun the team

if we play 1/2 court offense we have to hit our jump shots, last night we didn't

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 07:34:54 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Nope.  You've seen it wrong.  They generally get into the offense with about 16 to 14 seconds on the shot clock.  At least that was how it happened in last night's game.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson