Author Topic: STOP SHOOTING BIG BABY. Starting the club  (Read 17958 times)

Re: STOP SHOOTING BIG BABY. Starting the club
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2011, 09:22:09 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 660
  • MASTER OF PANIC
31 points in the second HALF and allowing the hawks to get offensive rebounds was why they lost

« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2011, 09:25:35 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
typical thread.. after baby played a great game last night he has a subpar game tonight.. and now he needs to stop shooting..

threads like this drive me mad.. what were u saying last night when he made his shots?  ::)

I'll show you that us logical people were concerned that b/c his shots were going in, that he'd fall in love with them:

He's got "Antoine's disease":  Make a few jumpers and fall in love with it.  It was nice that they were going in last night, but he's the worst jump shooter on the team (I'm not making that up).  If he attacked the rim more often he'd have fewer awful games.
We needed Davis to play defense, attack the hoop, defensive rebound, pass the ball. 

My concern, once again, is that he's too in love with his jumper and he doesn't box a man out properly.  Yes he hit some jumpers last night, but like Antoine Walker, he falls in love with it and forgets that he's a 35% jump shooter.  He did well the couple of times he attacked the hoop (which Green should do too instead of settle for jumpers).  I still don't get why he doesn't box out properly and instead stands next to the hoop expecting to out-jump everyone.

This isn't new, and unless he changes he's going to royally screw us over in the playoffs. 

« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2011, 09:26:31 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
31 points in the second HALF and allowing the hawks to get offensive rebounds was why they lost

That's a team problem.  But relative to this thread, Davis does not do a good job getting defensive rebounds or boxing his man out.  He is a big part of that team problem.

« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2011, 10:01:57 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
They all take dumb shots.  And they all look dumber when they're not going in.

BBD is ttaking dumb to a whole new level
and doing just on daily
 basis

even on off days?  ;D
Yup

« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2011, 10:02:55 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I like Baby, I really do, but agree that he has been putting up too many shots lately. It's like Nate Robinson donated his shots/shot selection to Baby when he was traded.

Now, I also agree with the fact that he is playing too many minutes and the 'stars' on our team are passing up shots to him. When he gets back to his 'regular' role, I think he will be like the Baby of old, but right now, he can be tough to watch (sometimes).

« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2011, 10:10:02 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
He's being asked to stretch the floor. Maybe you should call Doc and ask him to take his 15-foot jumper out of the playbook.

Or, alternatively, ask the rest of the team to work a little harder for better shots.

I am curious, though, where are the "STOP SHOOTING PAUL PIERCE" threads? I mean, he's been taking bad three pointers with 20 seconds on the clock for weeks in a row now.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2011, 10:43:48 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The frustrating thing about this is that earlier in the season, around late December when KG went down, BBD got the same type of criticism, for taking too many jumpers, being a black hole, and not going inside again.

BBD responded to that, picking up 8 assists in the next game, and as I recall, going inside a lot more.  A lot of us applauded him for that type of effort.

However, like Antoine, he tends to regress to bad habits.  He's got the passing skills, and he has the talent to post and drive a bit more, but he sometimes settles for the jumpers.  Unfortunately, the "black hole" stuff is true more often than not, too; he's got 65 games of 2 or fewer assists, and only the one game with 5+.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2011, 10:48:45 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

and doing just on daily
 basis

even on off days?  ;D

Especially on off days. ;) 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2011, 11:59:34 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
He's being asked to stretch the floor. Maybe you should call Doc and ask him to take his 15-foot jumper out of the playbook.

Or, alternatively, ask the rest of the team to work a little harder for better shots.

I am curious, though, where are the "STOP SHOOTING PAUL PIERCE" threads? I mean, he's been taking bad three pointers with 20 seconds on the clock for weeks in a row now.

Shooting and scoring is Paul Pierce's role on the team. Davis' role isn't to shoot and score; it's to be a hustle/energy guy. Unfortunately, Pierce isn't going to hit every shot he takes. But I never have a problem when he isn't hitting: He almost always takes quality shots, and I'd rather have Pierce shooting than almost any other Celtic.

« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2011, 12:24:28 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

and doing just on daily
 basis

even on off days?  ;D

Especially on off days. ;) 

Broken thumb anyone?
Yup

« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2011, 12:38:56 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
It could be one or two things or a combo of both fools gold after having a couple decent shooting nights he becomes tricked into thinking he's the man,#2 Maybe Baby thinks he has to save the team because of low scoring production lately.Whatever the problem Baby's has i hope it get solved before playoff time.

« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2011, 01:27:27 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
And one reason we scored so little was Baby shooting quick instead of us running our offense.

« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2011, 02:32:41 PM »

Offline KobeShesNotConsenting!

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 132
Not the only reason were losin but  baby lost us that game and that New Orleans game with dumb 3's.Big Baby is much worse offensively than Jeff Green he needs to give green about half his shots and we can start winnin games again.

« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2011, 02:36:51 PM »

Offline PseudoElite

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 42
Doc needs to stop playing Baby after 20-25 mins.

He's too tired/winded to have any meaningful contributions.

Either give him a lot of rest before the 4th quarter or put in Jeff Green.

Tired of this broken record.
Celtics' turn on switch for the playoffs: the last bastion of hope for battered Celtic fans.

!Q
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2011, 05:18:03 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Quite a few of those BBD jumpers seem to come from pick/pop plays.  His girth makes him a good pick setter, but the play leaves him standing there 20 ft from the hoop, wide open of course (since that's what the pick/pop is all about).  So he shoots.

Opposing teams are really, really going with the "make Rondo and BBD beat you" philosophy, covering the other 3 players with a blanket.  Doc has an incredible and effective counter to this:

DON'T PLAY BBD MORE THAN 20 MINUTES!

But not only does BBD play more than 20 minutes, the team runs Rondo/BBD pick/pop plays.  Often.

I stand by this:  IF BBD is playing more than 30 minutes for any team, that team is not a contender, whether that is us this year or whatever fool team signs him for money thinking he is a key piece of a title run.