Author Topic: STOP SHOOTING BIG BABY. Starting the club  (Read 17957 times)

Re: STOP SHOOTING BIG BABY. Starting the club
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2011, 11:34:13 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Count me in. I have had enough of his ball hogging. He took and bricked 3 straight shots down the stretch when every point was critical. The ball hit his hands, and he didn't even look to pass. He doesn't know his role. He doesn't rebound, defend, or set picks. All he does is shoot.

^ This sums it up...if his shot isn't falling he is useless and if we can see this Doc should too and get this bum out of the game.

Are you guys even watching the game?

Or do you guys just watch when the shots go in or out?

Baby plays so many minutes because Doc obviously feels that Baby brings a heck of a lot to the team while he is on the floor.

Baby doesn't just shoot....he is not just a scorer.

I think Baby's scoring ability is one of his weakest and last brought to the table attribute.

He's not a great one on one defender, but I can't blame him for what God didn't give him.

Baby is one of our best team defenders...outside of KG, Baby is our best big man defending the pick and roll and best big man rotating with in our help defense.

Baby's best attribute is he brings hustle and energy...and I truly believe when he is missing shots it takes a lot out of his own energy....which is something he has to get over and mature more.

It will come with experience.

Antoine rarely let missed shots bother him...he kept playing hard the rest of the game. Baby will learn this with experience and time.

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2011, 11:36:09 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
TP to Roy and LB3533 - Baby needs to learn to pass the ball if his hands feel cold and the All-Star Elite players need to shoot the ball and quit sending it to him with 2 seconds left on the clock. I think sometimes they send it to Baby because they know they will miss it and want their percentages to stay up, even though they know he'll prob. miss it with so little time.

I'm not going to join a 'club' to diss Baby because I think he's one of the Celtics best players (obviously coaches do too) and I find this thread is just one of the many 'Blame a player for the loss' threads that permeate when people are tired.

When you lose or when things are not going well...you look towards your best player or your head coach.

You don't look first at a bench role player.

And right now, we are asking Baby to be something more than he is not.

Stat line for you:

PP - 25 pts on 8-15 shooting, 8-11 from the line, 8 boards in 36 minutes of play.

BBD - 9 points on 4-11 shooting, 0-2 from the line (both with the game in reach) 5 boards

I think PP has nothing to be ashamed of. The only one that is asking BBD to be more than he is is BBD himself. The disgusted look on PP’s face when BBD jacked up that 3 shows me that our best player isn’t asking him to shoot those shots…

And to address your more recent post referring to his “hustle and energy”, When was the last time you saw BBD take a charge?! This isn’t a guy playing with hustle and energy. Once upon a time he did that, but not lately...

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2011, 11:45:42 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Aside from missing those 2 free throws, Baby has nothing to be ashamed of either.

He missed shots.

Those are them breaks of the game.

That's basketball dude.

Don't take it personal.

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2011, 11:50:48 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
They all take dumb shots.  And they all look dumber when they're not going in.
Yup

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2011, 11:55:44 PM »

Offline manbehindtheman

• NCE
  • Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 11
he gets too tired probably because of his weight...in the fourth quarter he becomes a problem from the outside...

I don't want to be unfair to BBD.

He has always played very poorly after 20-23 mins or so of play.

He had to play a lot of minutes because of a lack of Centers.

i agree with you here, he works his butt off, but why is it that we won't get in basketball shape?  He probably won't be so tired if he dropped about 35 pounds or so, he would still be large and maybe he wouldn't be so winded for his free throws at the end of the game...if i were playing the Celts and saw him winded towards the end of the game, i'd foul play a game of hack-a-baby as cruel as it sounds!  :D

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2011, 12:25:35 AM »

Offline mmbaby

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 53
TP to Roy and LB3533 - Baby needs to learn to pass the ball if his hands feel cold and the All-Star Elite players need to shoot the ball and quit sending it to him with 2 seconds left on the clock. I think sometimes they send it to Baby because they know they will miss it and want their percentages to stay up, even though they know he'll prob. miss it with so little time.

I'm not going to join a 'club' to diss Baby because I think he's one of the Celtics best players (obviously coaches do too) and I find this thread is just one of the many 'Blame a player for the loss' threads that permeate when people are tired.

When you lose or when things are not going well...you look towards your best player or your head coach.

Stat line for you:

PP - 25 pts on 8-15 shooting, 8-11 from the line, 8 boards in 36 minutes of play.

BBD - 9 points on 4-11 shooting, 0-2 from the line (both with the game in reach) 5 boards

I think PP has nothing to be ashamed of. The only one that is asking BBD to be more than he is is BBD himself. The disgusted look on PP’s face when BBD jacked up that 3 shows me that our best player isn’t asking him to shoot those shots…

And to address your more recent post referring to his “hustle and energy”, When was the last time you saw BBD take a charge?! This isn’t a guy playing with hustle and energy. Once upon a time he did that, but not lately...

EJplaya, Baby took 2 charges tonight. I guess you didn't watch the game. The first was ignored because KG fouled the guy right at the same moment. The second was ignored by refs and should have been an offensive foul.

And need I mention right after baby missed the two free throws, kg fouled the guy again? This caused us in total to lose 4 points.

Baby is being thrust into the center role, which is not his spot and having to play b/u pf and starter center. There is no one else out there who can take his place as of now. JO and Green are ineffective on the defense.

The only complaint I have with baby is taking shots when his hands are cold, even though some of them are forced by circumstances. Other than that, we definately need him on the defense or we are certainly sunk. Shaq might come back, but I don't think that will last. Same with JO. And Green is not willing to have his body bumped and never rebounds.

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2011, 12:33:07 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Ive been the president of my own stop shooting big baby fan club since the beginning of the season. His hands must be covered in glue, because once the ball its not getting touched by anyone else.

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2011, 12:36:01 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
I've been harping on this (his shooting) for weeks here at Celticsblog w/ few people agreeing with me... Glen has a role, and its a valuable role.  Unfortunately he doesn't realize it.

People here, and even Hubie Brown during the 1st quarter, say that Glen is "a good shooter".  Some even say he's "great".  The fact is he's statistically the WORST JUMP SHOOTER ON THE TEAM (around 35%).  Even Rondo is over 40% in jumpers.  

His role is to body guys up on defense (which he did early on, and did well), set picks, rebound (which he sporadically boxes out on), pass the ball (when he does it results in good looks for other players), be a healthy big (I give him props for his reliability), and finish around the rim when he's dished to (which he's improved upon this year, and is quite good at).  

He's not playing to his strength.  But what bothers me even more is that on offense he's anti-unbuntu, he doesn't know his limitations, he's shooting when he's surrounded by 4 all-stars, and Doc & Co don't have the cajones to call him out on it.  

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2011, 12:36:34 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Yeah, there's really no excuse for a big man to shoot lower than 45% from the field.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2011, 12:39:19 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
They all take dumb shots.  And they all look dumber when they're not going in.

BBD is ttaking dumb to a whole new level
and doing just on daily
 basis
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2011, 12:43:20 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

Stat line for you:

EJplaya, Baby took 2 charges tonight. I guess you didn't watch the game. The first was ignored because KG fouled the guy right at the same moment. The second was ignored by refs and should have been an offensive foul.

And need I mention right after baby missed the two free throws, kg fouled the guy again? This caused us in total to lose 4 points.

Baby is being thrust into the center role, which is not his spot and having to play b/u pf and starter center. There is no one else out there who can take his place as of now. JO and Green are ineffective on the defense.

The only complaint I have with baby is taking shots when his hands are cold, even though some of them are forced by circumstances. Other than that, we definately need him on the defense or we are certainly sunk. Shaq might come back, but I don't think that will last. Same with JO. And Green is not willing to have his body bumped and never rebounds.

I see. So you are out of ammo and so now you are counting charges that aren’t even called because you can’t prove your blatantly biased point…

Maybe if BBD wore gloves on the bench he’d be Michael Jordan?! Because that’s his only flaw. Cold hands…  ::)

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2011, 12:45:45 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
BBD just need to get his role
but hes playing for $ so i dont think that will happend
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2011, 01:05:31 AM »

Offline Raising 18

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 26
typical thread.. after baby played a great game last night he has a subpar game tonight.. and now he needs to stop shooting..

threads like this drive me mad.. what were u saying last night when he made his shots?  ::)

« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2011, 01:20:58 AM »

Offline PseudoElite

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 42
Some of the people here are going overboard with the Big Baby Davis hate.

He brings a huge spark off the bench, and without him we'd be losing all our games honestly. Celtics bench is WEAK right now.

All I ask is that the Celtics stop giving him so many jumpshots. Oh my god, we have Ray Allen and Paul Pierce, even KG or Rondo, and he gets so many open 18 foot jumpers. WHY?!?!?

I blame the Celtics for giving him the ball so often, and Davis deserves some blame for shooting too quickly sometimes instead of making the extra pass.
Celtics' turn on switch for the playoffs: the last bastion of hope for battered Celtic fans.

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2011, 01:23:02 AM »

Offline mmbaby

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 53
So right, Raising 18.

I often think that no matter what BBD does, he's going to get kicked for it here. Fortunately the majority of posters here and fans, players and coaches in Boston like what he gives to this team.

And EJPlaya, by not noticing those two charges Baby took tonight, even after they were pointed out to you, is pretty strange. You seem bent on bashing him and refuse to listen to any reasonable analysis.

I could and do think there are many other players on the team more deserving of your extremely harsh critisism tonight.