Author Topic: 2019 Summer Rumors official thread  (Read 198655 times)

Re: 2019 Summer Rumors official thread
« Reply #1665 on: July 22, 2019, 10:31:16 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The rumor I keep hearing is they only trade Beal if Wall goes with him.

« Reply #1666 on: July 22, 2019, 10:51:18 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Smart is great and his defense elite, but I wouldn't say he has a three point shot until he actually does shoot well from distance for longer than a season. Yes, his total shooting and decision making was better last year. But with a lot less people to shoot the ball this year, Smart's decision making might fall squarely into the: "I need to get more shots up" type thinking that returns him to a 38% FG% and 30% 3PT%.

« Reply #1667 on: July 22, 2019, 10:54:44 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

The Wiz will have no choice but to trade Beal if Beal refuses a contract extension this week.

Kawhi won a championship with Toronto and he still left.

I don't think the Wiz will risk getting nothing in return if Beal leaves in free-agency.

If Beal doesn't sign an extension then that means there's a big chance he will leave in 2021.

« Reply #1668 on: July 22, 2019, 10:57:31 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

If that's the case, then I tell them to go pound sand.

« Reply #1669 on: July 22, 2019, 10:58:03 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

The Wiz will have no choice but to trade Beal if Beal refuses a contract extension this week.

I don't think the Wiz will risk getting nothing in return if Beal leaves in free-agency.

If Beal doesn't sign an extension then that means there's a big chance he will leave in 2021.

Of course they have a choice. 

They can wait it out and make Beal turn down the super max. 

They can wait till a team is desperate and makes one of those super offers we have seen this offseason. 

They only have this season and next offseason. 

« Reply #1670 on: July 22, 2019, 11:01:13 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Didn't we hear the same thing about Davis at the trade deadline?   Have to trade him now to get value.

« Reply #1671 on: July 22, 2019, 11:04:37 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Of course they have a choice. 

They can wait it out and make Beal turn down the super max. 

They can wait till a team is desperate and makes one of those super offers we have seen this offseason. 

They only have this season and next offseason.

If they trade Beal next summer, when he has an expiring contract, the Wiz will lose leverage.

Teams will just wait for Beal to become a FA.

The reason the Cavs got the 2018 pick from Brooklyn was because Kyrie still had 2 seasons left on his contract when the Celts traded for Kyrie.

Danny Ainge said it was worth gambling on Kyrie because Kyrie had 2 seasons left on his contract, at the time of the trade.

Ainge would not have included the 2018 Brooklyn pick if Kyrie had an expiring contract when the trade was made.

« Reply #1672 on: July 22, 2019, 11:05:55 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Didn't we hear the same thing about Davis at the trade deadline?   Have to trade him now to get value.

The Pelicans waited after the season was over to trade AD to the Lakers and it cost them Kuzma.

Lakers were willing to include Kuzma if the trade was done at the trade deadline.

« Reply #1673 on: July 22, 2019, 11:10:52 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

The Pelicans waited after the season was over to trade AD to the Lakers and it cost them Kuzma.

Lakers were willing to include Kuzma if the trade was done at the trade deadline.

The picks weren't in the package at that point. When you consider the value of future picks vs Kuzma, the deal was actually larger in the offseason.
#JKJB

« Reply #1674 on: July 22, 2019, 11:11:29 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

And yet the Pelicans did get every draft asset the Lakers have for the next 7 years, including this year's #4 pick, plus Ingram, Ball and Hart. That is a massive haul of tremendous value.

« Reply #1675 on: July 22, 2019, 11:55:16 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Davis got a huge return because Davis is a great player. Beal is not on his level. He is a really good player.

« Reply #1676 on: July 22, 2019, 12:20:55 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Davis got a huge return because Davis is a great player. Beal is not on his level. He is a really good player.

Who said they would get the Davis return?   

The point is they are not in a rush. 

« Reply #1677 on: July 22, 2019, 12:29:43 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Beal has two full seasons left before he is a UFA.  Sure, you can get more if you trade him with 2 years left or with 1.5 years left but I don't see why the Wizards would feel they need to rush into this.  Of course Beal isn't going to agree to an extension now.  That does not mean he has made up his mind to leave.

The trade deadline this season would be a fine time to get value and I don't think it would be all that much different next off season.  The Wizards bigger issue (by far) is Wall and his Achilles.

« Reply #1678 on: July 22, 2019, 01:53:21 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Beal has two full seasons left before he is a UFA.  Sure, you can get more if you trade him with 2 years left or with 1.5 years left but I don't see why the Wizards would feel they need to rush into this.  Of course Beal isn't going to agree to an extension now.  That does not mean he has made up his mind to leave.

The trade deadline this season would be a fine time to get value and I don't think it would be all that much different next off season.  The Wizards bigger issue (by far) is Wall and his Achilles.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27239171/wizards-offer-beal-3-year-111m-extension

If Beal says no, you have to think they might move on. If he says yes, he will be off the market for at least another year or two.

« Reply #1679 on: July 22, 2019, 02:01:43 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27239171/wizards-offer-beal-3-year-111m-extension

If Beal says no, you have to think they might move on. If he says yes, he will be off the market for at least another year or two.

If Beal passes on the extension, the Wizards have no plans to engage in trade talks with two years, $55.8 million left on his contract, Sheppard said.

Beal could be eligible to sign a five-year, $254 million supermax extension next summer if he earns All-NBA status in the coming season.

Right, can't blame the Wizards for trying but if he turns this down, it doesn't mean they trade him.  They just try again next year with an even bigger extension.  I would be surprised if he took this first extension.