Author Topic: How strong is our bench?  (Read 3351 times)

How strong is our bench?
« on: September 26, 2018, 05:05:45 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
We talk about our atomic starting 5 ("Danny's Aingels" is my favorite so far). The rest of the NBA fandom will soon "discover" it too.
But I wanted to talk about this bench of ours that is particularly strong.
How strong?
Here are 3 players to give us a good perspective.

Terry Rozier - Would, by my count, surely start on these teams:
NY, Brooklyn (Russell is actually a 2-guard IMO), Orlando, Phoenix.
He could start on these as well:
Cleveland, Atlanta, Dallas, Chicago, San Antonio and Sacramento but they have prospects at PG that they want to develop.
And finally there some teams that could, in theory, start him:
Milwaukee (he outplayed Bledsoe, spaces the floor better), Detroit (Reggie is almost always injured), Clippers (Beverly is injury prone with less upside, may even be on the move soon), NOLA (Jrue would move to a nominal 2-guard slot).
That's 4-14 teams that he would start on.

Marcus Smart - is a hard player to evaluate. Some things he does are elite, but some others are well below starting level. Still, his versatility is very valuable. He would start on:
Phoenix (repeating occurrence, great fit next to Booker IMO), NOLA, Charlotte, NY, and Detroit (Stanley Johnson is benched).
5 teams, maybe more.

Marcus Morris - Our 5th best wing, would be much higher in the rotation then here, even on some projected playoff teams. Wings are becoming more valuable each day.
I'd say he'd almost certainly start on Denver (Barton), NOLA (Hill), San Antonio (Gay is their starter?), Detroit (he did start there for 2 years), Portland (Harkless) and Sacramento (no wings). That's 6 teams.

We have at least 3 clear lower tier starters on our bench. Pretty strong and I can't recall when some other team had at least 3 potential starters on the bench.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 07:02:40 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Re: How strong is our bench?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 06:52:34 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
Brad Wannamaker - our 3rd ballhandler, he is a starter in Phoenix.

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 07:17:18 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Best bench in the league.

Two 6th man of the year candidates in Rozier and Smart.
Morris would be a 6th man or starter on many teams. He's the 8th man here.
Baynes and Theis are two good bench guys who can play specific roles (strong interior defender, rangy mobile defender respectively) and create good balance for the team.

Solid depth behind those guys. Yabusele, Wannamaker, Rob Williams.

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 07:18:03 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Baynes and Theis are two good bench guys who can play specific roles (strong interior defender, rangy mobile defender respectively) and create good balance for the team.

This is what sets Boston apart from Golden State.

Both clubs have incredible cores but Boston has far superior depth. Celtics are the favourite to win the league this season.

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 07:45:33 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff

Both clubs have incredible cores but Boston has far superior depth. Celtics are the favourite to win the league this season.
I agree. That's why we can hunt that no. 1 seed throughout the whole playoffs. Also, we can give our All-stars those maintenance games off.

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 09:36:30 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I agree that the Celtics will have a solid bench. However, I think they will need at least one of the starters on the floor, to help maintain some sort of scoring stability. Rozier and Morris are arguably the bench’s best scorers, but I don’t think they can get it done on their own.

As for who would start on more teams between Rozier and Smart, I would easily take Smart if I needed a PG. To me, Rozier is more of an undersized SG. Smart is far better at running an offense and setting up his teammates. Also, don’t forget Smart is an elite defender that can switch.

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 09:40:41 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I agree. That's why we can hunt that no. 1 seed throughout the whole playoffs. Also, we can give our All-stars those maintenance games off.
I also agree. Our bench is crazy deep. Whip out the Pop treatment for some of our stars, and have them good as gold for a playoff (championship ;) ) run
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 09:42:25 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
I agree that the Celtics will have a solid bench. However, I think they will need at least one of the starters on the floor, to help maintain some sort of scoring stability. Rozier and Morris are arguably the bench’s best scorers, but I don’t think they can get it done on their own.

As for who would start on more teams between Rozier and Smart, I would easily take Smart if I needed a PG. To me, Rozier is more of an undersized SG. Smart is far better at running an offense and setting up his teammates. Also, don’t forget Smart is an elite defender that can switch.

I feel like T-Roz can shoot, penetrate better and makes better decisions with the ball. When a guard can't penetrate he leaves out a lot. T-Roz is IMO much better fit on Point forward led teams. Think Giannis, LBJ, Simmons. Smart is a great utility guy, but a tricky piece. High TO rate in comparison. I love him, but he couldn't start on our rebuilding Celtic teams. Terry has a much clearer and defined role, that is always in demand.

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 09:49:45 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
4 guys who could start on other teams (Rozier, Smart, Morris, Baynes), plus Theis as the 2nd 5.

If 2 of Semi, Wanamaker and Rob Williams prove useful on D and can contribute in a specialized offensive role, we'll legitimately be 12 deep, with 5 top 50 players starting and a top bench.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 10:06:35 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I think our bench is fantastic.  It has to be one of the best 2 or 3 bench rosters in the league.

That said, I don't think it's relevant to do comparisons of them as starters.   Certainly the "our bench as a starting 5 would do X" line that has been tossed around a lot lately is absurd for a variety of reasons.  But even looking at "our bench player A would start on teams X, Y & Z" is also not really relevant to understanding the strength of our bench.

The strength of a bench is really in how it complements the starters.   And in this case, our bench is absolutely wonderful.   It provides both backup at our key starting positions that most need backup (the 1 & the 5) and perhaps most importantly, it provides key situational matchup for the few scenarios the starters don't address.

Because we have so much depth at the 2 & 3 and even 3/4, even within our starting lineup itself (JB, JT & GH can all switch around in those slots and are backed up by MM & SO), it is critical that the bench provide backup at the 5 (to rest Al and also allow him to play down at the 4) and the 1 (Kyrie) and the bench provides that in guys (Baynes, Terry) who proved they could succeed as starters in those slots.   So for backup and rest purposes, this bench is perfect.

For situational matchups, this is all about working in players WITH one or more starters also on the floor to address specific matchups.  And our bench is extremely versatile with targeted defensive weapons like Baynes, Smart and Ojeleye, and guys not afraid to take a shot like Morris and Rozier.   And it has several very athletic guys who can play multiple positions.

I don't like our bench as a hockey-swap, with no starters on the floor (other than in blowouts, of course).   No one on the bench gives me confidence as an elite go-to scorer who you want to consistently work the offense through.  I think if we do wholesale bench lineups we are going to hit some serious offensive lulls.      But we have 4 of those guys (guys who can be 20+ point scorers) in the starting unit and likely at least 1 or 2 of those guys will be on the floor with the bench all the time.   So the starters complement the bench as well.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 10:11:09 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Relative to the rest of the league?  Easily, top 5.

This is probably the best bench they've had since '07-08.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 10:22:25 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

I think this is right, but another reason is that our starters need the extra shots to fully realize their game. Longer term, we need Tatum and Brown to develop as primary options.

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2018, 10:27:27 AM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34

I look at this bench on paper as the best in the league.  We'll see the results later obviously.

I know it's almost blasphemy to put a team that has only played 5 minutes together in any sort of discussion with a championship winning squad, but I honestly see this team as superior to the 07-08 squad...

Yes, we lack a player with the impact of KG currently, but 1-8 overall I think we crush the 08 team, as well as 1-15.

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2018, 11:33:58 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

I look at this bench on paper as the best in the league.  We'll see the results later obviously.

I know it's almost blasphemy to put a team that has only played 5 minutes together in any sort of discussion with a championship winning squad, but I honestly see this team as superior to the 07-08 squad...

Yes, we lack a player with the impact of KG currently, but 1-8 overall I think we crush the 08 team, as well as 1-15.

This team may be slightly better than the 07/08 team, but their definitely not superior. It also doesn’t necessarily mean they can win the title either. Since we’re comparing the two teams, I think your severely understating the impact of KG, who should have easily been the MVP that season. Also, I will go to my grave fully believing that the Big Three would have won 3 titles in a row if KG never injures his knee in Utah during the 08/09 season. BTW, that 07/08 team had arguably a top 5 PF (KG) and top 5 shooter (Allen) in the history of the league.

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2018, 12:07:59 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Hard to say.  When judging a bench, it's not about the individual pieces.  It's about what the bench brings as a unit.  What will they hang their hat on?  What will be their identity?

We have some good pieces but I think that's still in up in the air.  Defensively they should be good but offensively, who knows.  Smart is smart, rozier and morris can still be erratic, and no one else can get their shot.

I think our bench will be fine but would not call them elite as a unit.  But middle of the road should be okay for this team.