Author Topic: NBA 2019-2020 season thread  (Read 398904 times)

Re: NBA 2019-2020 season thread
« Reply #840 on: November 24, 2019, 04:29:13 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'd like to give a shout out to Markell Fultz and Domantas Sabonis.

Markell FINALLY hitting his stride...and Domantas evoking some thoughts of his dear ol' dad...

Domantas averaging 19, 13 and 4...won't be 24 until next May.

Just like Jaylen, that contract for Sabonis was a great investment.

As for Fultz, the Sixers could really use him this season.
No they don't need Fultz.  Fultz is shooting 20% from 3.  He's putting up pedestrian numbers on a bad team.  He'd barely help them in the regular season let alone the playoffs.  Mentally he's fragile. 

Then you have to factor in his contract.  9.7M this season.  12.2M next season.  Having Fultz means they wouldn't have Horford to begin with.

That is better than Ben Simmons, though...and I'm certain that Fultz will get better as the season goes on.

Look, Simmons is a FINE player but he gets a pass because he's 6'10".......if Rajon Rondo was EVER that tall we'd be talking about Rondo being an all-time great.
Surely you're not suggesting they'd be better off with Fultz than Simmons.  Simmons with his faults is still >>>>>>>>>>> than Fultz.  The Sixers wouldn't be better off with Fultz on their bench.  They need a solid 3pt shooter off the bench.   

Rondo is my fav.  Simmons is definitely lacking what a 6'10" Rondo could have been but Simmons is still young and could develop into it.

All I'm saying is that as much as I "LOVE" Ben Simmons it is quite baffling to me why he hasn't developed a three...

Will he be a linchpin this post season once again? Greek Freak has been quite serious about the development of this part of his game.

Ben Simmons develops a three and he is a top 10 player, easily. If he hasn't done it yet then sadly he won't, this season at least.

And Fultz? ORL is only 3 games below 500 and the season is young...I wouldn't sleep on them.
Maybe Giannis is serious about his shooting but he really hasn't improved.  He shot better as a rookie from 3 and from the line than he's shooting now.  Sure, his 3 point attempts are up, but he's still below 30%.  He's at 59% from the line.  This is his 7th year.

[dang], already? time flies!

Wow I didn't know this, either....both PHI and MIL with serious holes in their stars.

BOS gets EITHER of these teams in the playoffs...builds a WALL against Giannis....contains Ben Simmons....manages Embiid....and we have a shot.

« Reply #841 on: November 24, 2019, 04:55:35 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Wow I didn't know this, either....both PHI and MIL with serious holes in their stars.

BOS gets EITHER of these teams in the playoffs...builds a WALL against Giannis....contains Ben Simmons....manages Embiid....and we have a shot.
I trust no one in our current roster to defend Giannis-BroLo / Horford-Embiid. The tallest guy in our starting lineup is Theis at 6'8. How exactly are we gonna build this wall you are talking about?

Unless of course we plan to build a wall and make Philly/Milwaukee pay for it. :P
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 05:16:19 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #842 on: November 24, 2019, 05:16:25 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Every time I watch Doncic I think the teams that passed on him should lose a pick. And I didn't expect him to be this good.

« Reply #843 on: November 24, 2019, 05:26:59 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

I trust no one in our current roster to defend Giannis-BroLo / Horford-Embiid. The tallest guy in our starting lineup is Theis at 6'8. How exactly are we gonna build this wall you are talking about?

Unless of course we plan to build a wall and make Philly/Milwaukee pay for it. :P

The same way we defended Giannis in that Game 1 playoffs last year - before things went inexplicably south. We defended him well in the game we won earlier this year, too.

Render Lopez ineffective...he seemingly does not have good games against us.

They are missing Brogdon this year...that will hurt them more than they realize.

As for PHI? Kanter has slowed Embiid down somewhat...TBH I'm more worried about Al Horford hurting us more than anyone else.

We have a shot. Not counting us out against either of these teams.

« Reply #844 on: November 24, 2019, 05:30:00 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
Every time I watch Doncic I think the teams that passed on him should lose a pick. And I didn't expect him to be this good.
Every time I watch Doncic I think

1. if only we had the #3 pick in 2018 instead of 2016 or 2017
2. if only we hadn't traded for Kyrie and we had used the #8 pick to trade up with Atlanta

Luka (6' 7")
Brown (6' 7")
Hayward (6' 8")
Tatum (6' 8")
Horford (6' 10") (why would he leave?)

Switch every ball screen on defense
Ask Luka to get everybody involved on offense

Ugh, it is what it is. At least Luka isn't playing for the Lakers. :P

« Reply #845 on: November 24, 2019, 05:38:54 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Every time I watch Doncic I think

1. if only we had the #3 pick in 2018 instead of 2016 or 2017
2. if only we hadn't traded for Kyrie and we had used the #8 pick to trade up with Atlanta

Luka (6' 7")
Brown (6' 7")
Hayward (6' 8")
Tatum (6' 8")
Horford (6' 10") (why would he leave?)

Switch every ball screen on defense
Ask Luka to get everybody involved on offense

Ugh, it is what it is. At least Luka isn't playing for the Lakers. :P

DAL had better hurry up and build a winner around him...LA gets AD to commit....and in a few years they could very well try to coax Luka there.

I'd cry if that happens.

« Reply #846 on: November 24, 2019, 05:41:13 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

The same way we defended Giannis in that Game 1 playoffs last year - before things went inexplicably south. We defended him well in the game we won earlier this year, too.

They are missing Brogdon this year...that will hurt them more than they realize.

As for PHI? Kanter has slowed Embiid down somewhat...TBH I'm more worried about Al Horford hurting us more than anyone else.

Thing is, last season we had Horford-Baynes, yet Giannis still killed us. We have no one like them this season.

I'm 100% with you on Brogdon. He was the perfect fit next to Giannis. Imo, they should have kept Brogdon over Bledsoe (given that they weren't willing to pay both of them).

Btw, Dallas won the game 137-123 @ Houston. Luka with 41 points, 10 assists and 6 rebs. Not even a triple double this time. :P
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 06:04:58 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #847 on: November 24, 2019, 06:14:36 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

Thing is, last season we had Horford-Baynes, yet Giannis still killed us. We have no one like them this season.

I'm 100% with you on Brogdon. He was the perfect fit next to Giannis. Imo, they should have kept Brogdon over Bledsoe (given that they weren't willing to pay both of them).

Btw, Dallas won the game 137-123 @ Houston. Luka with 41 points, 10 assists and 6 rebs. Not even a triple double this time. :P

If Luka cuts down on the SMILING he will become even more Bird-Like. Larry had a way of reaching down your throat, taking your heart out and handing it to you.

I do LOVE Luka's fun he has with the game of Basketball - it is a JOY to watch him play. But once he gets a MEAN streak wow look out.

You will have games like Larry Bird vs ATL back in the 80s - where he basically TELLS them that he's going to kill them...dude had ATL BENCH cheering him on in that game.....the 60 point game.

Luka doesn't have to become DIRTY...just get a little mean streak...lock him in a room one day and have him watch Larry trash-talking videos. That would be HILARIOUS because I bet he has a dialect with him being Slovenian.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 06:23:11 PM by GreenFaith1819 »

« Reply #848 on: November 24, 2019, 06:27:49 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Speaking of Luka....is there ANY shred of truth to THIS?

https://sports.yahoo.com/rumor-kings-passed-luka-doncic-200003936.html

Rumor: Kings passed on Luka Doncic in draft because Vlade Divac doesn’t like Doncic’s dad

My understanding is that [Divac] being so close to Luka and knowing his dad so well factored into their decision. Basically, he didn’t think a whole lot of Luka’s dad, and the whole like father like son … well … no, this is a different dude. You messed that one up, Vlade.

If this is true then LOL.

« Reply #849 on: November 24, 2019, 06:34:41 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I think this site should be renamed Luka Blog. ;). I actually forgot that Trae Young had a triple double last night. The Hawks lost though. :(

« Reply #850 on: November 24, 2019, 07:08:47 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
DAL had better hurry up and build a winner around him...
As things stand right now, the Mavs are on a 5-game win streak and they rank 3rd in the western conference. They are also second best in the league in average point differential with +9.2 (only the Bucks are ahead of them).

Call me crazy, but imo the Mavs are gonna make some serious noise in the playoffs this season. I bet they are gonna win a championship in the next 3 years (before Luka's rookie contract expires). I mean, people keep saying that Luka is walking in the footsteps of Larry. Fair enough. Bird won the championship in his 2nd season. Why not Luka as well? I get that Larry was already 23 when he entered the league, but Luka had been playing professionally in the second best league in the world since he was a 16-year-old kid!

We are witnessing greatness here. This guy is a Bird-LeBron hybrid. He's a GOAT candidate in the making.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 07:32:47 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #851 on: November 24, 2019, 07:44:55 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
As things stand right now, the Mavs are on a 5-game win streak and they rank 3rd in the western conference. They are also second best in the league in average point differential with +9.2 (only the Bucks are ahead of them).

Call me crazy, but imo the Mavs are gonna make some serious noise in the playoffs this season. I bet they are gonna win a championship in the next 3 years (before Luka's rookie contract expires). I mean, people keep saying that Luka is walking in the footsteps of Larry. Fair enough. Bird won the championship in his 2nd season. Why not Luka as well? I get that Larry was already 23 when he entered the league, but Luka had been playing professionally in the second best league in the world since he was a 16-year-old kid!

We are witnessing greatness here. This guy is a Bird-LeBron hybrid. He's a GOAT candidate in the making.

The more I think about it I want Luka to stay out WEST - and pester LeBron.

I want Luka to beat the Lakers in the playoffs THIS YEAR....

I want DAL - LA to go down to the wire in the playoffs...series tied 3-3...game 7 in LA...Luka gets the ball on the left wing...looks up in the stands at Magic Johnson...then rolls to the top of the key and hit a running HOOK and let that be the game winner!!

I want this MIRACLE SHOT to be over the outstretched hands of Dwight Howard AND Anthony Davis...Luka does this and I'll persuade my oldest son to name my 1st grandson Luka.

« Reply #852 on: November 24, 2019, 08:05:07 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I don't know how soon it will happen, but I will be utterly surprised and disappointed if Doncic and Porzingis don't win a title in Dallas at some point.  That the Mavs were able to trade for both of them is astounding.  Doncic is a legit generational talent and KP is an excellent 2nd fiddle.

« Reply #853 on: November 24, 2019, 08:38:52 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

The more I think about it I want Luka to stay out WEST - and pester LeBron.

I want Luka to beat the Lakers in the playoffs THIS YEAR....

I want DAL - LA to go down to the wire in the playoffs...series tied 3-3...game 7 in LA...Luka gets the ball on the left wing...looks up in the stands at Magic Johnson...then rolls to the top of the key and hit a running HOOK and let that be the game winner!!

I want this MIRACLE SHOT to be over the outstretched hands of Dwight Howard AND Anthony Davis...Luka does this and I'll persuade my oldest son to name my 1st grandson Luka.
Lol TP!

If AD wasn't playing with a foot shoulder injury, he would have definitely blocked that shot. ::)

The Mavs then face the C's in the NBA Finals. Smart and Brown cement their reputation as the best defensive guard duo in the league and the C's win banner 18! A man can dream!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 08:54:52 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #854 on: November 24, 2019, 11:16:34 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I don't know how soon it will happen, but I will be utterly surprised and disappointed if Doncic and Porzingis don't win a title in Dallas at some point.  That the Mavs were able to trade for both of them is astounding.  Doncic is a legit generational talent and KP is an excellent 2nd fiddle.
I wouldn't be disappointed in the least because the combo of Tatum/Brown will be winning those titles