Author Topic: NBA 2019-2020 season thread  (Read 399071 times)

Re: NBA 2019-2020 season thread
« Reply #780 on: November 16, 2019, 08:36:55 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Pacers seem to be in a weird weird spot right now. A few wins against weak teams like Chicago and Washington, but then a solid win here and there. Oladipo isn't back yet, and who knows how long he will take to return back to form. Brogdon isn't playing against the Bucks, and they're getting their butts kicked.

Sabonis is killing it this year. Warren is doing what he's done for the last 3 years. Not sure what to make of Turner. Feel like he could be awesome on another team.

Holiday brothers are starting today, which is cool. Just no idea what to make of them though. Are they a legit chance to come out of the East? I thought they had a solid chance to be, depending on Oladipo's return, but I can't tell right now.

If they get Oladipo back and can throw out a Brogdon-Dipo-Warren-Sabonis-Turner starting five thats very good. Although they may be best off turning one of their bigs into a wing long term.

« Reply #781 on: November 16, 2019, 08:47:45 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2409
Pacers seem to be in a weird weird spot right now. A few wins against weak teams like Chicago and Washington, but then a solid win here and there. Oladipo isn't back yet, and who knows how long he will take to return back to form. Brogdon isn't playing against the Bucks, and they're getting their butts kicked.

Sabonis is killing it this year. Warren is doing what he's done for the last 3 years. Not sure what to make of Turner. Feel like he could be awesome on another team.

Holiday brothers are starting today, which is cool. Just no idea what to make of them though. Are they a legit chance to come out of the East? I thought they had a solid chance to be, depending on Oladipo's return, but I can't tell right now.

I don't see them as anything more than a mid-tier playoff team. 50-50 to get out the first round. Don't see them getting any further.

They need to breakup the Sabonis & Myles Turner duo. They do not function well together. Make each other worse instead of better (on both ends of the court).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 08:53:29 PM by Who »

« Reply #782 on: November 16, 2019, 08:53:00 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2409
Right now I am looking at the East as:

(1) Philly (for playoffs, not regular season W-L)

(2) Boston - need to see more before I put them alongside Philly
(3) Milwaukee

(4) Toronto
(5) Miami
(6) Indiana

(7) Whoever
[8] Whoever

Final two just making up the numbers. First round fodder.

I reckon Chicago have the next most-talented roster in the East but they are a mess. Their coach is a disaster. Worst job performance thus far in a career of under-performing as a head coach. So disappointing to see.

So I have Philly as the team to beat. Then Boston and Milwaukee as contenders. The next three as a full tier behind as mid tier playoff teams. Not genuine contenders. Just good teams. Looks like the final two entries will be weak squads. Nobody else in the East looks ready to put things together. Good chance at below .500 teams.

« Reply #783 on: November 16, 2019, 08:53:43 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

If they get Oladipo back and can throw out a Brogdon-Dipo-Warren-Sabonis-Turner starting five thats very good. Although they may be best off turning one of their bigs into a wing long term.

I don't see them as anything more than a mid-tier playoff team.

50-50 to get out the first round. Don't see them getting any further.

Need to breakup the Sabonis & Myles Turner duo. They do not function well together. Make each other worse instead of better (on both ends of the court).
Yeah, I agree with the general sentiment that Turner and Sabonis don't really coexist. I think if Oladipo can return to that 23/5/4 kind of guy then Turner is probably the way to go - defence, low-usage offence and the ability to shoot from deep.

But Sabonis is killing it this year. Maybe enough so for his trade value to be high
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #784 on: November 16, 2019, 09:17:45 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
From Dec 12 until Dec 18, the Celtics have 5 days off in a row. Isn’t that weird, or does every team get a long break like that at some point in addition to ASG?

I don't recall seeing that in the past.

The 18th starts road trip in Dallas. Would be great if G could be back by then.

« Reply #785 on: November 16, 2019, 09:20:55 PM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 601
Nets won without Kyrie. Granted, it was against the Bulls.

« Reply #786 on: November 16, 2019, 09:34:42 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
From Dec 12 until Dec 18, the Celtics have 5 days off in a row. Isn’t that weird, or does every team get a long break like that at some point in addition to ASG?

Last year we had a break from December 1st to the 6th, and the year before a break from Jan 6th to the 11th, and then another one to Jan 16th (so one game in 10 days).

So it seems like it happens once or twice a year.

« Reply #787 on: November 16, 2019, 10:14:07 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Nets won without Kyrie. Granted, it was against the Bulls.

are they better without him I wonder ?

« Reply #788 on: November 16, 2019, 10:53:38 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Siakam 6 for 24, Raptors go down to Mavs.

« Reply #789 on: November 16, 2019, 10:54:20 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Last year we had a break from December 1st to the 6th, and the year before a break from Jan 6th to the 11th, and then another one to Jan 16th (so one game in 10 days).

Thx, SL, I had forgotten that.

« Reply #790 on: November 16, 2019, 10:56:26 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Truly impressed by Young's passing. A more explosive Nash (in terms of scoring) but slightly less transcendent at passing would be my comparison for him.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #791 on: November 16, 2019, 10:57:13 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Truly impressed by Young's passing. A more explosive Nash (in terms of scoring) but slightly less transcendent at passing would be my comparison for him.
Sucks that his Amare is suspended right now!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #792 on: November 16, 2019, 11:01:51 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

In '18 those big breaks were part of the London trip, which the C's specifically requested from the NBA (even though it's the same travel time to London as it is to any of the West Coast cities).  Backfired though, C's lost 4 in a row and 5 of 6 coming out of that trip.

www.bostonherald.com/2018/01/08/celtics-grab-extended-break-surrounding-london-trip/
A large part of the reason for the early crunch was the Celts’ request for time before and after their game against the 76ers in London next Thursday. The NBA granted the wish, giving them four off days before and four more after. In that the schedule wizards offer no free lunches, the C’s had to pay for it at some point. Thus the two-and-a-half-month mashup.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #793 on: November 16, 2019, 11:51:29 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Sucks that his Amare is suspended right now!
I sure wish that the Hawks can build around him and not waste his talent like the Suns did with Nash. Their penny-pinching wasted Nash's prime imo, they could've won a championship if they didn't make knee-jerk moves at every turn.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #794 on: November 17, 2019, 01:46:58 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Right now I am looking at the East as:

(1) Philly (for playoffs, not regular season W-L)

(2) Boston - need to see more before I put them alongside Philly
(3) Milwaukee

(4) Toronto
(5) Miami
(6) Indiana

(7) Whoever
[8] Whoever

Final two just making up the numbers. First round fodder.

I reckon Chicago have the next most-talented roster in the East but they are a mess. Their coach is a disaster. Worst job performance thus far in a career of under-performing as a head coach. So disappointing to see.

So I have Philly as the team to beat. Then Boston and Milwaukee as contenders. The next three as a full tier behind as mid tier playoff teams. Not genuine contenders. Just good teams. Looks like the final two entries will be weak squads. Nobody else in the East looks ready to put things together. Good chance at below .500 teams.

Philly is exposed right now without surrounding Embiid with shooters.. Even in the Playoffs they will struggle.

I have seen of the Cs to conclude that if Hayward comes back and remains underailed by his recent injury then we can keep that top seed in the bag.