Author Topic: Coronavirus and Pro/NCAA Sports; Marcus Smart tests positive  (Read 203755 times)

Re: Coronavirus and Pro/NCAA Sports; Marcus Smart tests positive
« Reply #480 on: July 18, 2020, 03:49:56 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
Team sports for the most part is not covid friendly , but i can see baseball because of low contact , and out and able to seat and control fans .

Basketball just should be left along for another time .  Trying to force a season down our throats with no fans , not playing in everybodies city is too far from normal and just doesn't seem right on any level for me .  All i see is $  everytime i hear about them trying to have this season.  TV contracs and money ...all about that

So far its working out though for the NBA. They managed to screen everyone before entering their bubble in Orlando. They identified several players with the virus and are having them quarantine outside the bubble, and will test them before allowing them to enter.

They have a hotline to report anyone who leaves the bubble without permission, and anyone that leaves has to quarantine.

Its a really good test for how feasible this is for other sectors of our country going forward.

I really agree with the bolded part.  It is def a little micro experiment on all of this.  Unfortunately it isn't without risk.  Even though NBA players are in incredible shape, there is still a chance for a bad outcome if someone gets infected.  Not everyone who could be infected is young and in great shape like the players.

So I also agree with Shaq in that overall this isn't the decision I would have made for the NBA.  I feel it would have been better overall just to hold off and wait until there are better treatments, and when there wasn't such a huge spike of cases in the state that they are locating the teams.

« Reply #481 on: July 18, 2020, 04:30:27 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Team sports for the most part is not covid friendly , but i can see baseball because of low contact , and out and able to seat and control fans .

Basketball just should be left along for another time .  Trying to force a season down our throats with no fans , not playing in everybodies city is too far from normal and just doesn't seem right on any level for me .  All i see is $  everytime i hear about them trying to have this season.  TV contracs and money ...all about that

So far its working out though for the NBA. They managed to screen everyone before entering their bubble in Orlando. They identified several players with the virus and are having them quarantine outside the bubble, and will test them before allowing them to enter.

They have a hotline to report anyone who leaves the bubble without permission, and anyone that leaves has to quarantine.

Its a really good test for how feasible this is for other sectors of our country going forward.

I really agree with the bolded part.  It is def a little micro experiment on all of this.  Unfortunately it isn't without risk.  Even though NBA players are in incredible shape, there is still a chance for a bad outcome if someone gets infected.  Not everyone who could be infected is young and in great shape like the players.

So I also agree with Shaq in that overall this isn't the decision I would have made for the NBA.  I feel it would have been better overall just to hold off and wait until there are better treatments, and when there wasn't such a huge spike of cases in the state that they are locating the teams.

this ^.  ....setting records for cases, cases  up in 39 states  ,  yet ignore all the warnings and suffering to come ,  lets do it or miss out of f the billion dollars TV money .  Seems like the wrong thinking and bad karma .  Lets get our priorities straight.

« Reply #482 on: July 22, 2020, 02:26:54 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Have to admit, after what I've said over the last few weeks, I'm actually feeling more optimistic that things could work out as sports return. No positive tests in the NBA yesterday, and it seems the numbers in the NHL/MLB are also doing well. MLS is continuing and to date, only one game has been postponed due to COVID.

Now it's a 100% guarantee that the sports resume and play some games. MLB begins tomorrow, and NHL/NBA resumes next week. We'll see if they are able to finish their leagues, but I'm feeling more confident about it than I was before. Only slight concern I have with the MLB is that, they'll be travelling a lot still and that includes going to some of the hard-hit states. Might be an issue, but for the most part social distancing in baseball isn't as hard as say, hockey and basketball.

I still stand by with my belief though that there will be zero football this fall/winter (NFL, NCAAF)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #483 on: July 22, 2020, 03:49:29 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Have to admit, after what I've said over the last few weeks, I'm actually feeling more optimistic that things could work out as sports return. No positive tests in the NBA yesterday, and it seems the numbers in the NHL/MLB are also doing well. MLS is continuing and to date, only one game has been postponed due to COVID.

Now it's a 100% guarantee that the sports resume and play some games. MLB begins tomorrow, and NHL/NBA resumes next week. We'll see if they are able to finish their leagues, but I'm feeling more confident about it than I was before. Only slight concern I have with the MLB is that, they'll be travelling a lot still and that includes going to some of the hard-hit states. Might be an issue, but for the most part social distancing in baseball isn't as hard as say, hockey and basketball.

I still stand by with my belief though that there will be zero football this fall/winter (NFL, NCAAF)

Ya I've always been somewhat optimistic at least on the NBA. If the rules are followed as written then I think you stand a pretty good chance of preventing infection for the duration, the question was always will everybody follow the rules. The reports about the high level of security, as well as the seemingly high level of compliance with the health safety protocols has made me more confident.

But we'll see, as time goes on do guys get complacent or make a mistake?

« Reply #484 on: July 22, 2020, 04:29:09 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Ya I've always been somewhat optimistic at least on the NBA. If the rules are followed as written then I think you stand a pretty good chance of preventing infection for the duration, the question was always will everybody follow the rules. The reports about the high level of security, as well as the seemingly high level of compliance with the health safety protocols has made me more confident.

I wonder what would happen if you see even just 1 or 2 teams severely compromised. What I mean is, 1 or 2 playoff teams suddenly have like 5+ players (including stars) test positive and have to isolate/quarantine. Would they continue the season or say, "tough luck" to those teams and basically force them to leave. Because if that happened I think the season definitely has an asterisk. Just wouldn't be fair at all. You're already seeing teams like Bucks and Raptors in line for first round byes since the Nets and Wiz have a ton of guys not playing.

« Reply #485 on: July 22, 2020, 04:34:08 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

I wonder what would happen if you see even just 1 or 2 teams severely compromised. What I mean is, 1 or 2 playoff teams suddenly have like 5+ players (including stars) test positive and have to isolate/quarantine. Would they continue the season or say, "tough luck" to those teams and basically force them to leave. Because if that happened I think the season definitely has an asterisk. Just wouldn't be fair at all. You're already seeing teams like Bucks and Raptors in line for first round byes since the Nets and Wiz have a ton of guys not playing.

It would probably depend on the team. Like if you sent home the Pacers, or the Thunder I dont think anybody really views them as legit contenders. The Lakers, Clippers, bucks for sure. But ya, in the event of a large breakout on one team  that doesn't spread I imagine they'd send that team home but play on.

But maybe I'd crazy, i'm feeling more and more confident they can do this. 

« Reply #486 on: July 22, 2020, 04:34:35 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

It would probably depend on the team. Like if you sent home the Pacers, or the Thunder I dont think anybody really views them as legit contenders. The Lakers, Clippers, bucks for sure. But ya, in the event of a large breakout on one team  that doesn't spread I imagine they'd send that team home but play on.

But maybe I'd crazy, i'm feeling more and more confident they can do this.

Yeah, same.

« Reply #487 on: July 27, 2020, 09:20:34 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Oh boy....

Jeff Passan
@JeffPassan
Eight more players and two coaches with the Miami Marlins have tested positive for COVID-19, as an outbreak has spread throughout their clubhouse and brought the total of cases in recent days to at least 14, sources familiar with the situation tell me and
@JesseRogersESPN

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #488 on: July 27, 2020, 10:17:15 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Oh boy....

Jeff Passan
@JeffPassan
Eight more players and two coaches with the Miami Marlins have tested positive for COVID-19, as an outbreak has spread throughout their clubhouse and brought the total of cases in recent days to at least 14, sources familiar with the situation tell me and
@JesseRogersESPN

At what point does it become irresponsible to continue?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #489 on: July 27, 2020, 10:21:53 AM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 210
Oh boy....

Jeff Passan
@JeffPassan
@JesseRogersESPN

Now.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #490 on: July 27, 2020, 10:23:00 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
NBA players crack me up.

Lou Williams left the bubble to attend the funeral of his grandfather. Before heading back to Orlando, he decided to stop by his favorite strip club, purportedly because he loves their chicken wings. There’s probably some truth to this (about his love of their wings), because they are apparently named after him on the strip clubs menu.  “ Louwill Lemon Pepper BBQ wings”.

Now, I love chicken wings as much as any other red blooded American, but was this really necessary?  Williams has made about $75 million in his career. For 500 bucks, he could have had enough chicken wings shipped to Orlando to last him for the rest of the season, without jeopardizing his ability to play.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #491 on: July 27, 2020, 11:18:44 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
Oh boy....

Jeff Passan
@JeffPassan
@JesseRogersESPN

Now.

The MLB and NFL approached baffle me. Like hat happens when an outbreak spreads through and NFL team? 14-0 guys out for  weeks means two forfeits doesn't it? The entire season gets a big asterisk if that happens, thats even if the players consent to returning after it inevitably happens. And they had longer than anybody to plan this out.

« Reply #492 on: July 27, 2020, 11:21:25 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
NBA players crack me up.

Lou Williams left the bubble to attend the funeral of his grandfather. Before heading back to Orlando, he decided to stop by his favorite strip club, purportedly because he loves their chicken wings. There’s probably some truth to this (about his love of their wings), because they are apparently named after him on the strip clubs menu.  “ Louwill Lemon Pepper BBQ wings”.

Now, I love chicken wings as much as any other red blooded American, but was this really necessary?  Williams has made about $75 million in his career. For 500 bucks, he could have had enough chicken wings shipped to Orlando to last him for the rest of the season, without jeopardizing his ability to play.

He must be a breast man  :)

« Reply #493 on: July 27, 2020, 11:25:09 AM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 210
Oh boy....

Jeff Passan
@JeffPassan
@JesseRogersESPN

Now.

The MLB and NFL approached baffle me. Like hat happens when an outbreak spreads through and NFL team? 14-0 guys out for  weeks means two forfeits doesn't it? The entire season gets a big asterisk if that happens, thats even if the players consent to returning after it inevitably happens. And they had longer than anybody to plan this out.
I think both of those leagues are merely hoping that they can have a season. The NBA is best setup to play in the bubble which is the most likely scenario to be successful but the NFL cannot play an entire season in a bubble. MLB has too much of the season to play in a bubble too.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #494 on: July 27, 2020, 12:30:25 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
Oh boy....

Jeff Passan
@JeffPassan
@JesseRogersESPN

Now.

I think both of those leagues are merely hoping that they can have a season. The NBA is best setup to play in the bubble which is the most likely scenario to be successful but the NFL cannot play an entire season in a bubble. MLB has too much of the season to play in a bubble too.

Maybe not but theres some room between "play in a bubble" and "do the absolute bare minimum by testing players." And the NFL settled much closer to the bare minimum.

But the point is a fair one, its easier for NBA/NHL ho just have to finish a season then for MLB or NFL which have to play a hole one.