Author Topic: Jackie Mac on Lowe Post, Talking Celtics  (Read 6104 times)

Jackie Mac on Lowe Post, Talking Celtics
« on: December 12, 2018, 10:55:25 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Jackie Mac has a new piece out about Jaylen Brown and she was on the Lowe Post talking about it and the Celtics' season. A couple of things that jumped out to me:

Jackie thinks the biggest factor in the C's not pulling the trigger on a Kawhi deal was fear of his upcoming free agency. Which I think is fair because, even now, does anyone know what this guy wants?

Lowe still thinks Jaylen can be a top 20 player in the NBA as a two-way guy, or at least that's his ceiling.

Jackie says Kyrie is trying really hard to be a leader but he's not a defensive guy on a team that prioritizes defense and that Marcus Smart is probably the real leader on this team. This jives with what I've always thought about Smart and what I've seen on the court. Smart is the one everyone looks to and listens to because he's always 100% and always wants what's best for the team even if that means ruffling feathers.

Jackie says she's never heard an NBA player say a bad word about Kyrie and Lowe says, "Everybody in the NBA loves Kyrie." I mention this because I've defended Kyrie on this board against accusations that he was responsible (or somewhat responsible) for dysfunction in Cleveland. I think that had more to do with the organization and the Lebron circus and how well liked he is around the league and how he's been in Boston, I think, supports that he wasn't the problem in Cleveland.

EDIT: And the piece, itself, is really good.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25502202/jaylen-brown-new-journey-why-important-boston-celtics-nba
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 11:13:03 AM by Big333223 »
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: Jackie Mac on Lowe Post, Talking Celtics
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 10:58:42 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Irving’s defense doesn’t seem that bad at all this year at least from the eye test.

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 11:10:02 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I don't understand why both Smart and Irving can't be leaders? Who is the leader in Oakland? Is it Curry? Durant? Green? Iggy?

Smart is a championship-level competitor. So is Irving. So is Horford. I think Brown and Tatum will be as well. Baynes can play big playoff minutes as well. Rozier can rise to the occasion. Morris is a perfect gritty competitor as well.

At this point, Irving's "defensive deficiencies" are more hearsay than reality. He has turned himself into a disruptive off-ball defender and a fairly fundamental team defender. He's not a weakness anymore. He might be the worst defender in the top 10 of our rotation (although Rozier is probably worse), but that shows how good our team really is.

I read the article they talked about in this post. It's a great article about Jaylen Brown. Love that guy.

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 11:15:22 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I don't understand why both Smart and Irving can't be leaders? Who is the leader in Oakland? Is it Curry? Durant? Green? Iggy?

Smart is a championship-level competitor. So is Irving. So is Horford. I think Brown and Tatum will be as well. Baynes can play big playoff minutes as well. Rozier can rise to the occasion. Morris is a perfect gritty competitor as well.

At this point, Irving's "defensive deficiencies" are more hearsay than reality. He has turned himself into a disruptive off-ball defender and a fairly fundamental team defender. He's not a weakness anymore. He might be the worst defender in the top 10 of our rotation (although Rozier is probably worse), but that shows how good our team really is.

I read the article they talked about in this post. It's a great article about Jaylen Brown. Love that guy.

TP, I agree with all of that.

I think guys lead in different ways. Al Horford is definitely a leader, too. And Macmullan's piece backs up what you're saying by specifically talking about "Irving and Smart's motivational tactics."

Still, to me, if there was a captain on this team, it would be Smart.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 11:19:57 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Kyrie leads the offense. Smart leads the defense. Horford leads the bigs.

TP to Op.

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 12:32:25 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Lowe still thinks Jaylen can be a top 20 player in the NBA as a two-way guy, or at least that's his ceiling.

After last playoffs I would have agreed with that statement, but watching his struggles this season I think he won't accomplish that.

But it's easy to downgrade Brown, because he's playing with possibly the most talented wing player in the league in Tatum (or Doncic or Simmons).

Look at what difficult times other highly valued wing prospects like Ingram, Markkanen, Anunoby, Winslow, Prince, Oubre, Jackson, Isaac and Johnson have or have had. We're lucky to have Jaylen Brown.

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 12:32:48 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
A great Celtics-centric podcast.

One cool thing they touch on late in the podcast (about 38 minutes in or so), they start talking about how savage Brad Stevens is.  They lead into this by talking about how Stevens yanked Tatum early a couple of times and one time didn't even start him in the 2nd half.  Everybody thinks Brad is so even keeled and doesn't show emotion, but he's really a beast and doesn't mess around.  Lowe tells a Shane Larkin story about how he didn't get a loose ball, so Stevens took him out and says if you don't get that loose ball you're not going to play (Lowe says he went back and watched the play and it was not an easy loose ball to get).

Then Jackie tells a story.  She was asking Evan Turner about what Stevens says when he takes you out of a game because he looks so even keeled and never shows emotion.  Turner says you got to look closely, he's saying all this stuff under his breath that you can't see/hear, "if you think you're gonna get away with this your mistaken, i may or may not put you back in."

I guess re-reading what I just wrote, it's not surprising to hear from a coach, but it's just surprising because of how laid back and gentle Stevens appears to be.

One thing I hated, at the very end of the podcast, Lowe asks Jackie about Marcus Morris (about 41 mins in), but doesn't let her answer and basically ends the basketball part of the podcast.  Basically "Morris has been great, and is a big part of what's propping the C's up, how long can he keep this up and what happens when he comes back to earth?"  But then immediately asks her a non-basketball question before they even talk about Morris at all.  Would have loved to hear them talk about him for a few minutes.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 12:48:10 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Jackie says she's never heard an NBA player say a bad word about Kyrie and Lowe says, "Everybody in the NBA loves Kyrie."

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 12:58:51 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Jackie says she's never heard an NBA player say a bad word about Kyrie and Lowe says, "Everybody in the NBA loves Kyrie."

Part of that came from Lowe wondering (about 32 mins in) about how Kyrie keeps talking about having won a championship and hitting one of the biggest shots ever in the Finals, how he seemingly brings that up in every interview.  Like will some of the C's get sick about hearing about this, "hey we made it to game 7 of the ECF without you, we know what it's like, we don't need to keep hearing about what you did in Cleveland."

That's when Jackie goes into to talking about how adored Kyrie is by the younger players league wide (mentions Rozier/Smart played pick up with Kyrie before he was a C and were just in awe of being able to play with him).

But then says, it's the same way with Allen Iverson and Carmelo Anthony.  You'll never hear another player say a bad thing about them, it's all from coaches and front offices.

Maybe not the best company to be in lol.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 01:08:56 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 01:04:44 PM »

Offline Kaz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 73

True.  I think Smart and Draymond have similar roles on their teams as defensive stalwarts who are the vocal and emotional leaders of their teams despite not being "superstars".

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 02:49:28 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
That article spells out some things about Jaylen that were surprising to read.  Not really fitting in on the court or in the locker room.  Getting some tough love from his teammates.  Hopefully he turns it around.  He's looked better his last few games.

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 03:03:29 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
That article spells out some things about Jaylen that were surprising to read.  Not really fitting in on the court or in the locker room.  Getting some tough love from his teammates.  Hopefully he turns it around.  He's looked better his last few games.

I'm not sure those comments indicate he isn't fitting in. I read the article. I think everyone was frustrated by his lack of production. Smart wanted to talk it out. Brown was still working through it internally.

Let's not let our imaginations carry it further than it really was.

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2018, 03:04:50 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Everyone (media) is being a bit harsh on Jaylen!
cool down please!

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2018, 03:09:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Awesome article on Brown preaching what I have been saying all year. Stevens and Ainge love him. Ainge said he is going to be extremely patient because he knows Jaylen's potential. And Stevens actually loves his defense because he is taking on the other team's best players so his defensive numbers really aren't important.

And you can tell by the way other's talked about him that they know how intelligent Brown is and that they know he will figure things out and get better. Ainge thinks the game is slowing down for Brown. Stevens thinks his defense is getting better.So does Ainge. This points to a player who is not considered by his coach and GM as having a low BBIQ. Another thing I have been saying.

Ainge: "The criticism has been ridiculous."

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2018, 03:10:21 PM »

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 152

I'm not sure those comments indicate he isn't fitting in. I read the article. I think everyone was frustrated by his lack of production. Smart wanted to talk it out. Brown was still working through it internally.

Let's not let our imaginations carry it further than it really was.

Yea, I agree. I’m not sure how you read that whole article and took away that Jaylen isn’t fitting in.

They’re all asking a lot of each other; A hallmark of greatness. Jaylen is clearly reflective and sensitive, to be able to acknowledge that and not victimize yourself shows class, respect, and maturity; all of these are metrics of success.
2019 Historical Draft - Golden State

C - Bill Russell/Joel Embiid
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo/Tommy Heinsohn
SF - Kevin Durant/Billy Cunningham
SG - Bruce Bowen/David Thompson
PG - Isiah Thomas/James Harden