Author Topic: Are we underestimating this team?  (Read 2680 times)

Are we underestimating this team?
« on: May 30, 2008, 03:25:08 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
For a bunch of guys who:

1. Have never really played together before

2. Have never really played that many playoff games and never with this much pressure

3. Have the weight of the sports world on their shoulders with all the enormous expectations placed on them this season

4. Have been inundated since training camp with intense media scrutiny

5. Have had every team in the league all season putting a target on the day they play Boston...

Let's really take a look at it:

1. Doc Rivers: coached a few seasons, coached a few playoff games.

2. PGA: Played a few playoff games but never together and never with this kind of pressure

3. Nine players who have never played together before October 2007

4. Rondo: Basically a senior in college right now in his first playoffs against Bibby, Billups, Hamilton and Fisher

5. Perkins: In his first meaningful Playoffs

6. Powe: a second year man who just started sniffing time this year

7. Big baby: A rookie

Doesn't that make it all the more impressive that they're still kicking?

Oh Sure, they've bent and they've cracked under the pressure...but they haven't yet broken. In fact in this last series they've dominated Detroit more than they did Cleveland. Is it possible they are getting stronger as they go.

For a team who is basically learning as they go while playing a LeBron lead team that was better than last year's championship run team and a Detroit team that's been to the eastern conference championship 6 straight years, the championships twice and has one ring together, they're pretty impressive.

Is it possible that with all our belly acking about this team ( none louder than mine about "choking", or 4th quarter let downs, etc.) that we all are actually underestimating exactly how good this team must be to be able to achieve what they are achieving on the fly against battle hardened teams?

Or let me put it this way...how good might this team be if they had been playing together six years like Detroit?

I think the reason why they're still here despite all of the above factors going against them is perhaps the most key ingredient of a chmpionship caliber team; heart.

They still havent' developed that ultra "killer instinct" yet. Maybe that comes with experience together. Gainign the experience that tells you you must close the door.

And maybe the execution down the stretch comes with playing together in the playoffs for more than 19 games together or more than one season together.

I just think we might be underestimating this team.

I would make the argument that if they manage to win the title this year, it could be one of the most impressive title runs in NBA history given all the odds against them due to the above listed factors.

I mean, where one game away tonight from closing out a loaded, talented and experienced Pistons team that has accomplished what few other teams in NBA history have in going to the conference finals 6 straight years.

And our guys have played together for 9 mths. Two of our starters are basically playoff rookies.

I think we may not really understand how "good" this team actually is.         

Re: Are we underestimating this team?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 03:29:46 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
It definitely says a lot about them they've found a way to advance deep into the playoffs despite some clear shortcomings and some giant lapses of quality play.  They deserve a ton of credit.
Yup

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 03:35:41 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
4. Rondo: Basically a senior in college right now in his first playoffs against Bibby, Billups, Hamilton and Fisher

Shhh...are you tryin to jinx us? 

But I agree completely, the naysaying and endless criticism I see from some here has never really made sense to me.  It would be one thing if we'd had our old championship tradition over the last 2 decades, but given the last few years, we have a very special team on our hands.  This season has been like a present I've gotten to slowly unwrap over the last 7 months - at every turn, we've overachieved and exceeded my expectations from the beginning of the year.  We're 1 win from the first Finals in 21 years, and the negativity hasn't really slowed down.  There's plenty of shakiness and bad decision-making, especially in the playoffs, but we are winning games, games 90% of us didn't think we'd win at the start of the season. 

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 03:39:05 PM »

Offline Barnabas

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 11
ScoobyDoo,

If anything, I think a lot of us here Overestimate this team, not underestimate.  Should we extend the same excuses to the best team in the West:  That Gasol is too new to the team, that's why they didn't eliminate the spurs 4-0; that Sasha Vujacic is only a second year man; etc.  Every team will have a situation that is not perfect, that could be used as an excuse.  

No, I don't think the fans here are underestimating the team.  It's more likely the other way around, the fans making/giving/inventing excuses for why the team, or a particular player, isn't playing as well as they can.  Rondo especially gets a lot of pass from the fans.  I can understand that, the fans having affection for the team and the players.  On the other hand, I most admire fans who are first and foremost a fan of basketball first before being a team fan.  I like reading post from objective people (Who) more than I do the ones who lean more towards being a team fan.

If we lose this series to Detroit, it will be because they outplayed us.  The two teams are evenly matched.  

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 03:44:16 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Overall, I'm very happy with this team.  I think if they hadn't dropped those final two games in Atlanta, there would be a completely different vibe on here right now. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 03:45:19 PM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
Another reason to give the Celts props is inspite of all the bumps we've had in these playoffs, we have never trailed a series and we've won every game 5 and game 7.  That is a huge positive and says a lot about our players, our coach, our fans, and the team as a whole.

I honestly think Celtic fans have forgotten the roller coaster that is the playoffs.  Enjoy this baby!  We're one win away from finals against the lakers.  Are you kidding me?  That is pretty awesome.

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 04:00:50 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Fairweather fan: I know re the Fisher inclusion. However, rest easy. I actually intended to put if we can get by the Pistons in there but was onto my next thought and forgot. Point is I "meant" to pu in the disclaimer. further, when I checked the Leprachaun's book of code for commentating on the Celtics, it cleary states that if you "meant to say something but out of an overzealous enthusiasm for the team "forgot" to actually write it, there officially can be no jinx.

Barnabas: Interesting perspective, hadn't thought of that. I admittedely have been on of hte harshest critics of this team and their shortcomings. I do agree that on paper we're pretty even; Billups, Rasheed and hamilton vs. KG, Pierce and Ray. Perkins and Rondo vs Mcdyess and Prince...but I do think experience is a huge factor and we sorely lack it in comparison to even Cleveland and certainly to Detroit. The argument I'd make is that most of the teams that have won a chmpionship before, struggled for a few years in the playoffs before they got to the conference finals, let alone the finals. chicago thwarted by the pistons, San Antone by the lakers, Lakers had a few years of playoff experience with Shaq and Kobe Kobe before they got there. Even with the lakers now. Yes, they did get Pau late and have some young players. Vujacic and Farmar are second and 3rd year players. Where will Powe be in his 3rd year or Big baby vs now? and alos they have the critical guard play of Fisher and kobe, who have been to 3 championships together to guide the team when i gets rocky. We have Posey, who isn't a starter... Also, Vuj, Walt, Turiaf, Radman and Farmar have played together for 2-3+ years. Odom, Kobe and Fish for 3-4+ years. our guys have 9 mths together. 

I still think what they're accomplishing the first time into it together is impressive given all the odds. And is why, even tough I can be their harshest critic, I still think they may be bette than we actually know at this point. 

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 08:47:12 PM »

Offline Barnabas

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 11
Fairweather fan: I know re the Fisher inclusion. However, rest easy. I actually intended to put if we can get by the Pistons in there but was onto my next thought and forgot. Point is I "meant" to pu in the disclaimer. further, when I checked the Leprachaun's book of code for commentating on the Celtics, it cleary states that if you "meant to say something but out of an overzealous enthusiasm for the team "forgot" to actually write it, there officially can be no jinx.

Barnabas: Interesting perspective, hadn't thought of that. I admittedely have been on of hte harshest critics of this team and their shortcomings. I do agree that on paper we're pretty even; Billups, Rasheed and hamilton vs. KG, Pierce and Ray. Perkins and Rondo vs Mcdyess and Prince...but I do think experience is a huge factor and we sorely lack it in comparison to even Cleveland and certainly to Detroit. The argument I'd make is that most of the teams that have won a chmpionship before, struggled for a few years in the playoffs before they got to the conference finals, let alone the finals. chicago thwarted by the pistons, San Antone by the lakers, Lakers had a few years of playoff experience with Shaq and Kobe Kobe before they got there. Even with the lakers now. Yes, they did get Pau late and have some young players. Vujacic and Farmar are second and 3rd year players. Where will Powe be in his 3rd year or Big baby vs now? and alos they have the critical guard play of Fisher and kobe, who have been to 3 championships together to guide the team when i gets rocky. We have Posey, who isn't a starter... Also, Vuj, Walt, Turiaf, Radman and Farmar have played together for 2-3+ years. Odom, Kobe and Fish for 3-4+ years. our guys have 9 mths together. 

I still think what they're accomplishing the first time into it together is impressive given all the odds. And is why, even tough I can be their harshest critic, I still think they may be bette than we actually know at this point. 

Ok, yeah, I see what you meant now.  Thank you for taking the time to explain it to me again.  Sort of like what Byron Scott stated.  You don't go from being in the bottom, not making the playoffs, to winning the title.  It doesn't happen normally.  That does make sense when you look at it that way.  Maybe we're just not ready.  Which is understandable since we've just added some key pieces to the team.  Yeah, I now see where you're coming from and I now agree.  The only sad part for us is that the core of the team is no longer young. 

I do see a lot of shortcomings of this team that's not necessarily related to how long they've played together.  I know it's not related, but I see a lot of traits in Sasha Vujacic that I wished Rondo had half as much of.  Vujacic, to my untrained and inexperienced perspective, seems to be a smarter, headier player.  The height advantage is a definite plus.  On the positive side, maybe Kendrick Perkins has reached a point in his career that could take him to a higher level.  The man has shown that he is capable of handling the pressure and meeting up to the challenge.  He might turn out to be more valuable than Rondo when all is said and done. 

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 09:14:27 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
For a bunch of guys who:

1. Have never really played together before

2. Have never really played that many playoff games and never with this much pressure

3. Have the weight of the sports world on their shoulders with all the enormous expectations placed on them this season

4. Have been inundated since training camp with intense media scrutiny

5. Have had every team in the league all season putting a target on the day they play Boston...

Let's really take a look at it:

1. Doc Rivers: coached a few seasons, coached a few playoff games.

2. PGA: Played a few playoff games but never together and never with this kind of pressure

3. Nine players who have never played together before October 2007

5. Perkins: In his first meaningful Playoffs

6. Powe: a second year man who just started sniffing time this year

7. Big baby: A rookie

Doesn't that make it all the more impressive that they're still kicking?

No. I think these are just a bunch of excuses for why a team with the most talent is playing inconsistently and with no killer instinct after winning the most games in the regular season.