Author Topic: The Yips  (Read 2742 times)

The Yips
« on: May 30, 2008, 03:04:16 PM »

Offline Woodstock Libertarian

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
It took 82 regular season games and a couple rounds of the playoffs, but most Celtics fans would now agree that KG seizes up during crunch time (a longstanding, if not widely discussed criticism). Can he overcome this problem? Who knows. But keep in mind how many golfers have failed to overcome this problem despite trying every trick in the book.

Not the end of the world, either way, because, of course, KG is not the entire team. Yes, eliminating KG as an option down the stretch would seem to be a killer. But then you have Ray Allen, who would might be described as Mr. Anti-Yips. Then again, he’s been in a slump and can’t always be relied on, which, I'm sure, doesn't bring a sense of serenity to his teammates.

Paul Pierce doesn’t have the yips. On the other hand, he has a history of playing unwisely when a situation requires that he take over games down t he stretch, and if he’s not hitting his shots perhaps we see why a situation where you can’t go to KG, Ray Allen, or Paul will make the whole team nervous, very nervous.

The team could go to Rajon, but you know he’s gonna drive, and that gets dicey in a hurry.

The team could go to Posey, but he needs to be wide open an able to get set.

Bring in Cassell?

Take the good (a miracle shot) with the bad (forcing up  a shot with 21 seconds on the shot clock).

House?

Take the good (he heats up in a hurry) with the bad (he isn’t always hot and can turn the ball over).

The team also has to contend with the fact that they are usually missing one of their defensive anchors down the stretch, the Beast, because he plays only spotty minutes at the end of games.

Which, I guess, brings us back to KG.

The Cs absolutely humiliated the Lakers at Staples, and KG was instrumental in setting a beat-down tone for the game. You have to believe that if he can have that kind of positive impact, then his getting the yips in crunch time has the opposite effect.

It doesn’t all come down to KG, in my opinion. But it at least starts with him.

Re: The Yips
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 03:45:43 PM »

Offline orrzor

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 58
I'm a little tired of hearing this "KG is not clutch" stuff. Did people watch game 1 against the Cavs, or see the 2 made free throws with a few seconds left the other day? How is this not "clutch"? And just because a player makes a boneheaded play in the 4th quarter doesn't disqualify them from being clutch. Kobe had crappy clock management in game 4 against the Spurs, Pierce missed a free throw the other night.

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 03:48:46 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
It took 82 regular season games and a couple rounds of the playoffs, but most Celtics fans would now agree that KG seizes up during crunch time (a longstanding, if not widely discussed criticism).

I don't think most Celtics fans would agree with that, at all.  KG pretty much plays his game, from the first quarter to the fourth.  There have only been a couple of games where he passed up open shots to get the ball to teammates.  By and large, he's just been doing what he always does:  playing defense and hitting jumpers.

KG isn't particularly extra-clutch, but he isn't a choker, either.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 03:52:07 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
agreed. trade kg! :D

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 03:57:45 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 593
As long as he keep putting 25+ pluse  a game, i don't care what he does in the fourth because those points help no matter when they are scored.
Still don't believe in Joe.