Author Topic: The biggest game in Celtic History  (Read 7826 times)

Re: The biggest game in Celtic History
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 10:45:57 AM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Everyone has made some great points.  To me this is the best game in Celtics History.  I wasn't around to remember all those other game 7s in the finals.  Sure those games was big.  But those other teams didn't have the pressure of betting rid of a 20 year drought  Most of those players already had championship rings.  They been through it before and they didn't have to hugh monkey of not winning anything for a lost period of time, like this current team do.  

KG has the pressure of being consider a great player that never got a chance at a title.  Paul Pierce has done everything you can ask of a Celtics but what set him apart of the other greats is the fact that he has not been to an NBA final.  Ray Allen one of the games top shooters of all time hasn't been to the NBA finals. It's safe to say out of all the teams in the past this team has to most to prove. The fact that they are 1-8 on the road and no NBA Champion has won a championship without winning atleast 3 road games make this game to me the biggest game in Celtics history.

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 10:46:44 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

And weirdly the 1st game of the Pitino era vs the Bulls was right up there in terms of hype.

The result of that game had me so optimistic and happy that I think the downfall was that much worse. When Toine, Mercer, and Walta walked off with their arms around their shoulders so happy it was one of the best moments of my Celtics fandom. So short lived.   :'(

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 10:48:22 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I understand that for some of our younger fans that may not have experienced the greatness that is Celtic playoff basketball and Celtic history in general this might be your biggest.

But in terms of a historical perspective, it's not even close.

How about some of these:

Home opener 1966-67 season - Bill Russell becomes the first black head coach or manager in the history of American sports

Game 7 NBA Finals 1969 - Bill Russell's last game as a player for the Boston Celtics ends in a championship. It was the game where Jack Kent Cooke had filled the rafters with balloons and was going to release them when the Lakers finally beat the Celtics and Russell uttered those famous words: "We're going to have to do something about that!" The balloons never came down and the Celtics, the lowest seeded team in the playoffs pulled off 3 stunning series upsets to win the last in their 60's championship run.

Game 7 NBA Finals 1957 - Boston Celtics win their first NBA Championship

Game 5 NBA Finals 1976 - Boston Celtics triple overtime win against Phoenix that many call the greatest game in NBA history.

These a just a few and I haven't even gotten to the Bird era. These are just the 4 biggest in Celtic history in my book and the only one I experienced was the 3OT game.

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 10:57:52 AM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
I understand that for some of our younger fans that may not have experienced the greatness that is Celtic playoff basketball and Celtic history in general this might be your biggest.

How about some of these:

Home opener 1966-67 season - Bill Russell becomes the first black head coach or manager in the history of American sports

Game 7 NBA Finals 1969 - Bill Russell's last game as a player for the Boston Celtics ends in a championship. It was the game where Jack Kent Cooke had filled the rafters with balloons and was going to release them when the Lakers finally beat the Celtics and Russell uttered those famous words: "We're going to have to do something about that!" The balloons never came down and the Celtics, the lowest seeded team in the playoffs pulled off 3 stunning series upsets to win the last in their 60's championship run.

Game 5 NBA Finals 1976 - Boston Celtics triple overtime win against Phoenix that many call the greatest game in NBA history.

These a just a few and I haven't even gotten to the Bird era. These are just the 4 biggest in Celtic history in my book and the only one I experienced was the 3OT game.

All of those are great games and great moments in the history of the Cetlics and in sports.  But going into the game 5 finals 1976 final vs the Phoenix  was consider the greatest game to be played in NBA history but it wasn't the biggest game in Celtics History.  That game 5 was big becaue it was a swing game the game the Cs which the won but game 6 of that series was bigger then game 5.

So I wasn't around of the first Celtics championship but that wasn't the biggest game in Celtics history.

Game 7 of the 1976 was a big game but it wasn't the biggest game in Celtics history.  The Celtics was already consider one of the greastest team of all time and that team won how many championship together?  10-11?  It was big because it was Russell last game but he wasn't the biggest game.

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 11:03:11 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

How about some of these:

All of those are great games and great moments in the history of the Cetlics and in sports.  But going into the game 5 finals 1976 final vs the Phoenix  was consider the greatest game to be played in NBA history but it wasn't the biggest game in Celtics History.  That game 5 was big becaue it was a swing game the game the Cs which the won but game 6 of that series was bigger then game 5.

So I wasn't around of the first Celtics championship but that wasn't the biggest game in Celtics history.

Game 7 of the 1976 was a big game but it wasn't the biggest game in Celtics history.  The Celtics was already consider one of the greastest team of all time and that team won how many championship together?  10-11?  It was big because it was Russell last game but he wasn't the biggest game.

But tonight's is?

I fail to see the logic in that.

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 11:09:59 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

How about some of these:

How are u comparing a game that isnt even been played
with games considered the biggest and greatest games in history
two diferent perspectives sorry
U start this saying this is the biggest game ( as in more important) in celtics history
not class wise because it hasnt been played ???
Anyway its not... or not yet...

u confuse me
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2008, 11:11:16 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
Tonight's game isn't even the biggest game this season.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2008, 11:33:04 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I know this is a big statement to make but I feel this is the biggest game in Celtic play-off history.  The Celtics have a great chance of ending this series tonight and move on to face the Lakers in the NBA finals.

No way. They aren't even facing elimination. It isn't even the finals. If the Celts win tonight and lose in the finals, then this game meant nothing. If they lost tonight and win on Sunday, than this game meant nothing.

Tonight’s game is for all the marbles.  I know beside the name "game" on your ticket stud it's a number 6.  But tonight game the Celtics must be played like a game 7.

I imagine the number on the ticket will be '3', since it is game #3 in Detroit.

The biggest games are when you are facing elimination and the other team has a strong chance of winning. We aren't facing elimination, and if Rip is out, this will be an easy victory since Rip has played great D and he disrupts our rotations on D.

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2008, 11:38:45 AM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
Here are my reason as to why I think this is the biggest game in Celtics History.

1. Recent history has shown us the the Piston are able to win this game and a game 7 on the road.  The Cs lose this game they very well could lose game 7 at home and never make it to the final.  Now is there best chance of making it.

2. NO team in nba history has ever won a championship without winning atlease 3 games on the road.  The Celtics lose this game and win a game 7. History tells us that they have to win two game in LA in order to be champions.  If the win tonight history tells us they only need 1 game in LA. who by the way hasn't lost a game at home yet in the play-offs

3. No Celtics team has had three star players at this point in their career without making it to the NBA finals.  Remember all the great Celtics won early and often in their careers.  KG, Paul and Ray all have years under their belt this is the first time in the History of the Celtics that there superstar have been consider losers.  Now is the time to change all that.

4. This Celtics team more then any other Celtics team has to deal with the success of the past great teams.  As I mention before all the other great Cetlics won, and won early in their career they never had to be face with a 20 year drought and all the history that comes with it.

5. When the Celtics in the past face a game 7 to win it all those guys was already champions.  This group has yet to be in the finals.  To make their mark at player and as a team tonight they must win this game.

Tell me what Celtics team in the past had to deal with all that I just mention above?  Bird was never face with it, it won early in his career and if they lost to the Piston in the late 80's so be it he already have 3 rings.  They wasn't face with the pressure of winning it all because they never did it before, those team already won.  Same can be said of the Bill Russell lead Celtics.  Yes they played in some big games but non is bigger then tonights game.  The only thing that will top this is a game 7 vs the Lakers in the next round but they have to get there first.

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2008, 11:47:48 AM »

Offline Aaron

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 18
Here are my reason as to why I think this is the biggest game in Celtics History.

1. Recent history has shown us the the Piston are able to win this game and a game 7 on the road.  The Cs lose this game they very well could lose game 7 at home and never make it to the final.  Now is there best chance of making it.

2. NO team in nba history has ever won a championship without winning atlease 3 games on the road.  The Celtics lose this game and win a game 7. History tells us that they have to win two game in LA in order to be champions.  If the win tonight history tells us they only need 1 game in LA. who by the way hasn't lost a game at home yet in the play-offs

3. No Celtics team has had three star players at this point in their career without making it to the NBA finals.  Remember all the great Celtics won early and often in their careers.  KG, Paul and Ray all have years under their belt this is the first time in the History of the Celtics that there superstar have been consider losers.  Now is the time to change all that.

4. This Celtics team more then any other Celtics team has to deal with the success of the past great teams.  As I mention before all the other great Cetlics won, and won early in their career they never had to be face with a 20 year drought and all the history that comes with it.

5. When the Celtics in the past face a game 7 to win it all those guys was already champions.  This group has yet to be in the finals.  To make their mark at player and as a team tonight they must win this game.

Tell me what Celtics team in the past had to deal with all that I just mention above?  Bird was never face with it, it won early in his career and if they lost to the Piston in the late 80's so be it he already have 3 rings.  They wasn't face with the pressure of winning it all because they never did it before, those team already won.  Same can be said of the Bill Russell lead Celtics.  Yes they played in some big games but non is bigger then tonights game.  The only thing that will top this is a game 7 vs the Lakers in the next round but they have to get there first.

Again, I understand what you're trying to say... but this is Game 6 of an Eastern Conference Finals for a Franchise with 16 Championship Banners.  Maybe we can have this conversation next round, but to say a Conference Finals game is the biggest in FRANCHISE HISTORY is just silly.

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2008, 11:51:03 AM »

Offline ram

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
Game 5 of this series vs Detroit > Game 6 of this series vs Detroit

With that said, I'll list other way, way, WAY bigger games in Celtics' history:

1957 Game 7 vs the Hawks in the Cs first NBA finals (after 6 straight years of losing in the Division Finals(3 times) or semis(also 3 times)).

1966 Game 7 vs Lakers, NBA Finals b/c it gave the Cs their 8th straight championship, a record no team will ever beat

1974 Game 7 vs Jabbar and Bucks for first post-Russell championship

1960 Game 7 vs the Hawks for the Cs first repeat NBA Championships

1962 Game 7 vs the Lakers for their 4th straight NBA Championship

1984 Game 7 vs Lakers for #15

1969 Games 6 & 7 vs Wilt and the Lakers, down 3-2 had to win both for Russell's 11th and final ring

1965 Game 7, ECF vs Wilt and the Sixers to propel them to their 7th consecutive NBA Championship

1968 ECF Games 5, 6 & 7 vs Wilt and the Sixers, first time a team came back down 3-1 in the conference finals to win the series.

1981 ECF Games 5, 6 & 7 vs the Sixers. Bird ERA first championship

1966 EC Semis vs Oscar and the Royals, Game 4 and 5 (best of 5) brink of elimination the year they won their 8th straight championship

1984 Game 7 ECSF vs Knicks
1988 Game 7 vs Hawks, ECSF
2008 Game 7 vs Hawks, first round
2008 Game 7 vs Cavs, ECSF

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2008, 12:04:00 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656

1. Recent history has shown us the the Piston are able to win this game and a game 7 on the road.  The Cs lose this game they very well could lose game 7 at home and never make it to the final.  Now is there best chance of making it.

2. NO team in nba history has ever won a championship without winning atlease 3 games on the road.  The Celtics lose this game and win a game 7. History tells us that they have to win two game in LA in order to be champions.  If the win tonight history tells us they only need 1 game in LA. who by the way hasn't lost a game at home yet in the play-offs

3. No Celtics team has had three star players at this point in their career without making it to the NBA finals.  Remember all the great Celtics won early and often in their careers.  KG, Paul and Ray all have years under their belt this is the first time in the History of the Celtics that there superstar have been consider losers.  Now is the time to change all that.

4. This Celtics team more then any other Celtics team has to deal with the success of the past great teams.  As I mention before all the other great Cetlics won, and won early in their career they never had to be face with a 20 year drought and all the history that comes with it.

5. When the Celtics in the past face a game 7 to win it all those guys was already champions.  This group has yet to be in the finals.  To make their mark at player and as a team tonight they must win this game.

Tell me what Celtics team in the past had to deal with all that I just mention above?  Bird was never face with it, it won early in his career and if they lost to the Piston in the late 80's so be it he already have 3 rings.  They wasn't face with the pressure of winning it all because they never did it before, those team already won.  Same can be said of the Bill Russell lead Celtics.  Yes they played in some big games but non is bigger then tonights game.  The only thing that will top this is a game 7 vs the Lakers in the next round but they have to get there first.

Again, this isn't even the biggest game the Celtics have played this season.  Furthermore, whether they win this game or lose it, their next game will be a bigger game than this one.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2008, 12:05:36 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It's not the biggest in history.  But I was 5 years old the last time the Celtics got this far.  This is definitely the biggest game of my lifetime as a real basketball fan.

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2008, 12:16:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Game 5 of this series vs Detroit > Game 6 of this series vs Detroit

With that said, I'll list other way, way, WAY bigger games in Celtics' history:

1957 Game 7 vs the Hawks in the Cs first NBA finals (after 6 straight years of losing in the Division Finals(3 times) or semis(also 3 times)).

1966 Game 7 vs Lakers, NBA Finals b/c it gave the Cs their 8th straight championship, a record no team will ever beat

1974 Game 7 vs Jabbar and Bucks for first post-Russell championship

1960 Game 7 vs the Hawks for the Cs first repeat NBA Championships

1962 Game 7 vs the Lakers for their 4th straight NBA Championship

1984 Game 7 vs Lakers for #15

1969 Games 6 & 7 vs Wilt and the Lakers, down 3-2 had to win both for Russell's 11th and final ring

1965 Game 7, ECF vs Wilt and the Sixers to propel them to their 7th consecutive NBA Championship

1968 ECF Games 5, 6 & 7 vs Wilt and the Sixers, first time a team came back down 3-1 in the conference finals to win the series.

1981 ECF Games 5, 6 & 7 vs the Sixers. Bird ERA first championship

1966 EC Semis vs Oscar and the Royals, Game 4 and 5 (best of 5) brink of elimination the year they won their 8th straight championship

1984 Game 7 ECSF vs Knicks
1988 Game 7 vs Hawks, ECSF
2008 Game 7 vs Hawks, first round
2008 Game 7 vs Cavs, ECSF

TP4U ram, awesome list of the great games.

And as for what past teams had to overcome how about they had to win most of their championship versus team's with 3 Hall of Famers on their roster. The NBA was much more condensed and henceforth there was a ton more talent per team than there is nowadays.

And if you think the Celtics in Bill Russell's first year of coaching didn't have to overcome a lot then you just have no clue as to the racial situation going on at that time and the crap Russell and that team had to put up with.

That first game Russell coached was one of the greatest, most historically significant games in modern sports history. The first black coach in sports.

And along those lines, what about Chuck Cooper's first game in the NBA where he only wasn't the first black to play in the NBA because Big Cat Lloyd's Washington Capitols opened their season the day before the Celtics. Still, one of the first games ever with a black player in it, in a league that is now dominated in talent and numbers by blacks is surely a bigger game than tonight's.

I'm sorry CT34 but you are just so incredibly far off base here.

This franchise has played in some of the biggest games in sports history that it is almost comical to think that tonight's game ranks anywhere close to others that have been played.

No disrespect intended, I think I'm just keeping it real and putting the facts out there.

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2008, 01:03:13 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
It is nice to be talking about important Celtics basketball instead of whining about our luck in the lottery.

I don't think this is the biggest game in Celtics history but yeah, one of the biggest since the Larry Bird ERA ended 16 years ago (fitting perhaps?).

I'll say it is another career defining game for KG, RA, and PP though. Add this list: Rondo and Perkins. If they don't win either tonight or Sunday, it could be a devastating blow to their careers.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.