Author Topic: roy h. is negative...  (Read 5187 times)

Re: roy h. is negative...
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2023, 12:46:12 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Haha, there is nothing incidental about that!

My memory is that the negative TP count was set to mirror the 33,333 posts his old profile had

It may have also been to prove a point after the infamous "TP Gate" of long ago.

What was this incident?

It was a culmination of stuff over the years rather than one event.  Basically, when we first started the TP system, we allowed negative TPs (like a lot of karma systems).  People were using that negative karma system to "vote down" rivals who had a lot of TPs, so that they'd be "winning" in the TP count.  The staff found that distasteful, and Bob Day (RIP) disabled the negative TPs.

Things were fine for awhile, but then we saw "cliques" evolving that would give each other TPs as much as possible, because they saw these as a sign of validation and as being successful.  Discussions of being TP leaders came up, people started creating secondary accounts to TP themselves, etc.  The whole thing was silly, but also very much against the vibe of Tommy Heinsohn.

So, as a gesture to the community, I reset my TPs to -33,333.  The thought was if the most visible member of the forum could be deeply in the negative, then maybe some of the other members would take them less seriously.

========================================

I enjoy the thread, thank you.  But, spread those TPs around to the many others that make this site enjoyable.

I think we should bring back negative Tommy points (or some way of up voting or down voting a post) I certainly don’t think members of this forum are any less mature than the average user on say Reddit and those do a great job of elevating the best discussions on there.
please do not bring back the evil, pernicious, dastardly, and nasty negative tps. i was here during the time roy wrote about. it was brutish and competitive and all around unpleasant as people would subtract tps simply because they disagreed or disliked someone.

it was petty and not nice at all.

Yeah.  They're not coming back as long as Donoghus and myself are here.  I assume goukki agrees as well.

I see. I was around when we had this and I didn’t realize that was a huge thing that was going on (or if I did I have just forgotten about it) Sorry to hear it was so unpleasant for people.

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2023, 12:50:34 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

My memory is that the negative TP count was set to mirror the 33,333 posts his old profile had

It may have also been to prove a point after the infamous "TP Gate" of long ago.

What was this incident?

It was a culmination of stuff over the years rather than one event.  Basically, when we first started the TP system, we allowed negative TPs (like a lot of karma systems).  People were using that negative karma system to "vote down" rivals who had a lot of TPs, so that they'd be "winning" in the TP count.  The staff found that distasteful, and Bob Day (RIP) disabled the negative TPs.

Things were fine for awhile, but then we saw "cliques" evolving that would give each other TPs as much as possible, because they saw these as a sign of validation and as being successful.  Discussions of being TP leaders came up, people started creating secondary accounts to TP themselves, etc.  The whole thing was silly, but also very much against the vibe of Tommy Heinsohn.

So, as a gesture to the community, I reset my TPs to -33,333.  The thought was if the most visible member of the forum could be deeply in the negative, then maybe some of the other members would take them less seriously.

I enjoy the thread, thank you.  But, spread those TPs around to the many others that make this site enjoyable.

I think we should bring back negative Tommy points (or some way of up voting or down voting a post) I certainly don’t think members of this forum are any less mature than the average user on say Reddit and those do a great job of elevating the best discussions on there.
please do not bring back the evil, pernicious, dastardly, and nasty negative tps. i was here during the time roy wrote about. it was brutish and competitive and all around unpleasant as people would subtract tps simply because they disagreed or disliked someone.

Yeah.  They're not coming back as long as Donoghus and myself are here.  I assume goukki agrees as well.

I see. I was around when we had this and I didn’t realize that was a huge thing that was going on (or if I did I have just forgotten about it) Sorry to hear it was so unpleasant for people.

Yeah, I'm not sure how Reddit's system works, to be honest, but I'm guessing it's more complex than ours.  Here on CB (now CS) the community is small enough that a handful of posters can really throw the positive / negative system off.  And, of course, every downvote results in hurt feelings, which tended to spill out into the forums or PMs.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2023, 12:54:16 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

What was this incident?

Okay, thanks for explaining. That setup seems like a lot of trouble.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2023, 01:30:28 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

What was this incident?

I always wondered why Roy H was so far in the negative, its funny to know that Celtics Strong has some deep lore associated with it.

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2023, 01:31:45 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Interesting to hear some of background on how people could turn something as innocent as a Tommy Point, into something it was never intended to do. Since I've joined, I never thought of them as anything other than a sign of being a "Thank you". I guess some of the things the moderators do in the background cannot be understated or even appreciated.

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2023, 04:29:09 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

What was this incident?

Yeah, I'm not sure how Reddit's system works, to be honest, but I'm guessing it's more complex than ours.  Here on CB (now CS) the community is small enough that a handful of posters can really throw the positive / negative system off.  And, of course, every downvote results in hurt feelings, which tended to spill out into the forums or PMs.

Basically it is like if someone said who should Celtics this off-season and then everyone writes a response, if someone made a post with a lot of good insight or information other people give it a plus one so the result goes to the top. And if someone wrote something irrelevant or useless like “hopefully not Joe Biden” it gets downvoted and less people see it.

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2023, 05:39:47 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

What was this incident?

I do. If you disagree, verbalise it - much like Tom Heinsohn would
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2023, 05:56:06 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

What was this incident?

Basically it is like if someone said who should Celtics this off-season and then everyone writes a response, if someone made a post with a lot of good insight or information other people give it a plus one so the result goes to the top. And if someone wrote something irrelevant or useless like “hopefully not Joe Biden” it gets downvoted and less people see it.

It discourages nuance and conversation, broadly speaking.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2023, 06:54:31 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

What was this incident?

I would argue subreddits actually have some of the most nuanced conversation of anywhere on the internet. It’s get a bad rap but if you want to find real opinions on specific topics (is a product a scam, is this medication safe) it’s the best place on the internet.

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2023, 03:44:50 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
Roy, I thought you got so far in the negative because of TP wagers made in support of the Celtics prior to big games, many of them painful losses ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2023, 04:46:24 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

What was this incident?

I would argue subreddits actually have some of the most nuanced conversation of anywhere on the internet. It’s get a bad rap but if you want to find real opinions on specific topics (is a product a scam, is this medication safe) it’s the best place on the internet.
I'm not saying it's not useful as a repository of information, but the popular vote method of conversation rarely leads to a conversation worth having.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.