Author Topic: Horford free agency thread: Possibly leaving: Page 10  (Read 48308 times)

Re: Al Horford not exercising his player option
« Reply #135 on: June 18, 2019, 04:02:02 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
I think this is more of a positive sign than a negative one but he will be an UFA as of June 30 so in that, he can sign anywhere.   He may well test the market or look for a team more likely to contend.  I would.  He can also wait to see what Kyrie and others do.

I don't see it as the end of the world if he leaves.  If we sign him at say $23, is that really the best possible way to spend that money?  Even if a good deal now, how about in 3 years?

We lost out on Anthony Davis.  That is the big blow.  I like Horford but not overly concerned either way now that it looks like we are going to lose Kyrie.  If Kyrie does re-sign, I would see it as more important to keep Al.  We would have no money to replace Al if we sign Kyrie so losing him would mean losing the salary slot.

Yeah, it pretty much is the best way to spend that money.  Most importantly, whether Al gets $18 million a year or $23 million a year, the Celtics probably have an identical roster for the next three years, because those extra dollars won’t matter for cap or tax purposes, even in year 3.

Under about $18 million, there are options where the C’s now have cap room more than the MLE, up to $27 million according to Bobby marks.  It’s not very hard to get up to a max player from $27 million.  But what max player is going to come here?  Do you risk losing Horford, because he decides to look elsewhere while you wait, and missing out on that player when he chooses a different team?  With Jaylen’s rookie deal ending, there won’t be max space to carry over to next season if you miss out this year.

So in that case, where you miss out on the max player, you get 2-3 players who make a combined total of $27 million.  This compares to a world in which you keep Al, resign one of Rozier and Morris, and use the MLE and BAE, also for near $27 million.

Unless you’re positive there’s a younger guy waiting for you to offer him a max deal, then you absolutely pay the money to keep Al, because there is no better way to spend it.

Honestly it really all depends on the direction you want to go in.  Full rebuild around the young guys.  See if you can use that cap space to sign Malcolm Brodgen, draft a few young players and use the one exception you have to sign a vet.  If you keep Al you can resign Terry, use both exceptions and field a competitive but probably non championship team. 

I love Al.  He's a key piece on a championship team.  I think the team will be a lottery level team without him and you can assure that Hayward opts out next year and moves on to a team that is contending as well.  Not signing Al will completely gut the team and they may be the 9-10th best team in the East unless one of the Jay's turn into a superstar. 

I think letting Al go and moving on from Hayward sets this team back and make the C's look like a team no superstar wants to go to.  IMO I'd resign Al, possibly Keep Terry and use the two exceptions to build a competitive team.  If one of the Jay's makes a huge leap or both do then you are definitely in contention for the ECF.  That is the route I hope for my C's.

« Reply #136 on: June 18, 2019, 04:02:42 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
How about 4/$60m?  Probably exceeds what Horford could get if he played out the year and signed a 3-year deal next season.  And it saves Boston $15m in cap room.  Seems like a win/win to me

I doubt he takes 4/60. Maybe 3/60 is more reasonable.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #137 on: June 18, 2019, 04:38:21 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!
I wonder if they aren't secretly wishing Al would go elsewhere. He isn't going to win a championship here. And they will have very little  cap space if they sign him--even for $20 million per year. A   3 year contract  is a stretch for him at 33.  A sign and trade would be nice.

Hayward's contract is still the killer.

I don’t think they do, Horford is still an asset that could help a contender if things go south in Boston.

« Reply #138 on: June 18, 2019, 05:33:50 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Makes you wonder if DA has something up his sleeves that would make Horford want to stay here since he wanted to contend.

I would say it was to trade Horford later at the deadline to a contender and lowering his contract with the extra years make it easier. But Horford should be able to get the same type of contract some where else, unless some thing is already in the works.

« Reply #139 on: June 18, 2019, 07:26:28 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
Major change in the Al Horford situation:
Per source close to Horford, his side is no longer discussing a new 3-year deal to stay with the Celtics. He is expected to sign a 4-year free agent contract elsewhere...
Story to come.

https://twitter.com/SteveBHoop/status/1141124460805873665

Re: Horford free agency thread: Possibly leaving: Page
« Reply #140 on: June 18, 2019, 07:27:56 PM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
According to reports, Horford has halted discussions with the Celtics for a 3 year deal and will now look for a 4 year deal elsewhere.

https://twitter.com/SteveBHoop/status/1141124460805873665?s=20

« Reply #141 on: June 18, 2019, 07:28:13 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Wowza. Complete failure. This team is lottery bound

« Reply #142 on: June 18, 2019, 07:29:28 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Rats fleeing the ship. What a mess Danny has made.

Please dump Hayward and play for the lottery

« Reply #143 on: June 18, 2019, 07:29:41 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Per source close to Horford, his side is no longer discussing a new 3-year deal to stay with the Celtics. He is expected to sign a 4-year free agent contract elsewhere...
Story to come.

Haha what a disaster... do we at least have cap room now? Youth movement time

« Reply #144 on: June 18, 2019, 07:30:33 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I wonder if Ainge was low balling?

Sign demarcus cousins to replace horford and see where it goes

« Reply #145 on: June 18, 2019, 07:31:34 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Story to come.

UGH, though to be honest I can't entirely blame him either. He wants to win and I don't think we're capable of doing so in the next 1-2 years. Just PLEASE not the Lakers.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #146 on: June 18, 2019, 07:31:44 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
Well come on over Capella or maybe even DA goes big in on a trade for KAT?

« Reply #147 on: June 18, 2019, 07:32:23 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
Story to come.

UGH, though to be honest I can't entirely blame him either. He wants to win and I don't think we're capable of doing so in the next 1-2 years. Just PLEASE not the Lakers.

Oh me either.  Al was great here.  Good luck to him where ever he lands.  Lets hope it isn't the lakers.

« Reply #148 on: June 18, 2019, 07:32:30 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Story to come.

I thought this was a fake account at first, but it looks real. Sigh. If we lose Al to free agency, as well, this will be about as bad of a summer as possible.

« Reply #149 on: June 18, 2019, 07:32:40 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Problem is Boston has no money nor any interest to replace him.

What is Danny doing?