Author Topic: Gordon Hayward: What — if anything — is holding him back?  (Read 4116 times)

Re: Gordon Hayward: What — if anything — is holding him back?
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2019, 07:42:00 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I appreciate Hayward because I think if we had some other star and same thing happened to him, we mightve been worse.

We are a bit lucky Hayward is an unselfish player, inatead of another star with a huge ego. He is doing little things even if his offense is nowhere near where it was.

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2019, 07:43:10 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Hayward can be our Ginobili.

The problem is there's just too many wings.

Jaylen Brown needs minutes and shots.

So does Hayward.

It's a good thing Brown has adapted with his new role as a bench player.

I think trading Rozier would really open up more minutes and shots for Hayward.

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2019, 08:47:56 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
His situation has been well laid out.

Psychology is a big part of it and how could anyone be surprised? This wasn't a hammy.

I offer the following "problem." Without intending to, Hayward is hurting the bench unit. It's been consistently poor and a good part of it is his play.

I'm not sure why the team has to sacrifice at this level while he recuperates.

Rozier
Brown
Hayward

This trio has not been able to do anything for the first half of the season....anything....it is a freaking disaster and should not be happening on a professional basketball team.

The team is going to be the fourth seed in the tournament because Hayward "needs to recuperate?"

The team has problems that have nothing to do with Hayward's play, but, the Celtic's bench for the last three years has been effective and now it is not.

I am not paid to decide how to handle the situation, but, there are players on this team who not only deserve his minutes? They will help win more games.

(I hope he hangs 30 on GSW next game and makes me look like a fool)

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2019, 09:02:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Psychology is a big part of it and how could anyone be surprised? This wasn't a hammy.

I offer the following "problem." Without intending to, Hayward is hurting the bench unit. It's been consistently poor and a good part of it is his play.

Rozier
Brown
Hayward

This trio has not been able to do anything for the first half of the season....anything....it is a freaking disaster and should not be happening on a professional basketball team.

The team is going to be the fourth seed in the tournament because Hayward "needs to recuperate?"

The team has problems that have nothing to do with Hayward's play, but, the Celtic's bench for the last three years has been effective and now it is not.

I am not paid to decide how to handle the situation, but, there are players on this team who not only deserve his minutes? They will help win more games.

Three things:

1. Since Brown returned from missing three games due to a bad fall and going to the bench his numbers are:
13.3ppg
4.3rpg
1.5apg
1.1spg
0.6bpg
48.5/38.5/70 shooting splits
Just 24.5mpg

Brown has played off the bench as well as he did during all last year. He is getting better and better and much more consistent. Brown is not a bench problem. Heck, he might be making a case to be put back in the starting unit. I don't think he should return to the starting unit only that he might be playing well enough to start to consider it if any of the wing starters struggle.

2. Exactly who on this team who doesn't already have a role on the team is going to walk into Hayward's role and bring more to the game than Hayward does or will as he continues to get better? Not sure exactly who you think would be better.

3. You think the Celtics bench is a disaster? My guess is there are about 25 other teams that wish their bench was as much of a disaster as Boston's.

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2019, 09:04:25 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Rozier
Brown
Hayward

Is our bench that bad?  I don't see any evidence that our bench has been "consistently poor".

Looking at our bench's efficiency vs. opponent's efficiency, we apparently rank #3 in the NBA.

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/teamstats/19/7/diffeff

We're top 10 in bench scoring, top 5 in bench assists,, 9th in 3PM, and above average in both 3PT% and getting to the line.  Our overall offensive bench efficiency is 7th.

Meanwhile, we rank 6th in blocks and 9th in steals.  We're the 2nd best bench defense in terms of efficiency.  We give up the 4th least points and the 5th least assists, and both the 2nd lowest 3PT% and 2nd lowest FG%.

Overall, our bench statistically is easily in the top five in the NBA.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2019, 09:10:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Rozier
Brown
Hayward

Is our bench that bad?  I don't see any evidence that our bench has been "consistently poor".

Looking at our bench's efficiency vs. opponent's efficiency, we apparently rank #3 in the NBA.

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/teamstats/19/7/diffeff

We're top 10 in bench scoring, top 5 in bench assists,, 9th in 3PM, and above average in both 3PT% and getting to the line.  Our overall offensive bench efficiency is 7th.

Meanwhile, we rank 6th in blocks and 9th in steals.  We're the 2nd best bench defense in terms of efficiency.  We give up the 4th least points and the 5th least assists, and both the 2nd lowest 3PT% and 2nd lowest FG%.

Overall, our bench statistically is easily in the top five in the NBA.
TP for saving me the time to go look up the stats.

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2019, 09:19:51 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 376
To be honest, its all mental and other guys are taking shots/minutes away from him. Hayward isnt agressive enough to be the guy who says 'No im gonna go get mine"

Theres some games where he is attacking the hoop and looks like hayward of old. Then other games where he is standing in a corner looking passive or when he gets near the hoop throws out an errant pass. He needs to take some of those layups.

watch the bench sometimes. Rozier is dribbling the air out of the ball while Hayward sits in the corner and never gets one look.

Then look at a game like last night where Kyrie is out so there is 20 shots to go around and all of a sudden, all three of Hayward/Rozier/Brown have solid games. Those 3 guys are cannibalizing eachothers minutes/rhythm/shots. 

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2019, 09:30:15 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Time.

When we NEED him he will BE THERE.

I believe in this dude and his game and he WILL be ok.

Give GH TIME. He WILL be there.

lol TP Call the Time Lord!!!!

Okay Rob Williams, you heard the man. Give Hayward TIME!

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2019, 09:32:10 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
He does not have any elite skills. He is average in most, if not all aspects of the game.

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2019, 09:32:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
To be honest, its all mental and other guys are taking shots/minutes away from him. Hayward isnt agressive enough to be the guy who says 'No im gonna go get mine"

Theres some games where he is attacking the hoop and looks like hayward of old. Then other games where he is standing in a corner looking passive or when he gets near the hoop throws out an errant pass. He needs to take some of those layups.

watch the bench sometimes. Rozier is dribbling the air out of the ball while Hayward sits in the corner and never gets one look.

Then look at a game like last night where Kyrie is out so there is 20 shots to go around and all of a sudden, all three of Hayward/Rozier/Brown have solid games. Those 3 guys are cannibalizing eachothers minutes/rhythm/shots.
I think it's only natural that when the player with the highest usage and most fga a game is out(and let's not forget Horford's usage and shots) that the players next down in the offensive pecking order will get more shots and score more. If they didn't, I wouldn't think to highly of them as players.

Also, regarding Hayward sitting in a corner and watching others try to go iso or play 2 and 3 man games, that is actually Stevens' offensive sets. Almost every player on the roster has sat in the corners while 2 and/or three players use the rest of the court to play a weave or one or pnp while players sit in the corner and wait for a pass if a ball handler goes inside and is shut down. Brown, Tatum, Hayward and Morris do it a lot. Kyrie has actually sat in the corner while Smart, Rozier and a big played three man weave. Yes, 3 inferior players played in the weave while Irving twiddled his thumbs in the corner. Your beef isn't with Hayward, it's with Stevens and his use of players in his sets.

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2019, 09:35:46 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Seriously... are we just going to gloss over that he’s still dealing with soreness?   He’s not physically right.  It’s a problem.

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2019, 09:41:09 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Seriously... are we just going to gloss over that he’s still dealing with soreness?   He’s not physically right.  It’s a problem.

I agree.

He's still not 100% physically.

Best case scenario for Hayward is he comes close to 100% at the start of the playoffs.

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2019, 09:43:53 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Celts can stand pat and keep Tatum, Brown, and Hayward this season.
But next season, I think Ainge has to choose among 2 out of the 3 wing players.
There's just no enough minutes and shots for all 3.
Sooner or later one will become unhappy and demand a trade.

I'm fine if Celts lose Tatum to the Pels for AD.
As long as the Celts don't lose both Brown and Tatum, Celts will be fine.

Hayward is here to stay.
I don't think he will be traded at any point in time.

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2019, 12:08:57 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
He does not have any elite skills. He is average in most, if not all aspects of the game.

****. He is certainly better than average.

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2019, 12:29:21 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 546
I didn't realize that he's still dealing with soreness, but that's not exactly surprising. It's just been a slow grind, too slow for many but he is fitting into a reserve role right now and is slowly improving his consistency. I do think Brad is handling him the right way now, whereas earlier in the season he was probably giving Hayward too many minutes.

Gordon to his credit has not brooded or sulked. He's accepted his bench role and he's helping the team on a more consistent basis compared to earlier in the season.  He's definitely diminished physically right now and I think that's what's holding him back - but my hunch is (and this is just based on what I'm seeing with my eyes) I think he will get back to his previous level - just not this season.

As someone else mentioned, I'm hoping he recovers enough to swing a game or two come the playoffs.