Author Topic: Comparing the Expected Playoff Benches of Top Teams  (Read 765 times)

Comparing the Expected Playoff Benches of Top Teams
« on: February 18, 2024, 09:34:01 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 878
I was curious and had some time to look at some of the top teams and see who would be expected to be their 6-8 for the playoff run.  It wasn't always 100% clear and I am not familiar with all the teams but I tried to piece it together based on season minutes and box score a whatever else I could look at.  First the data:

BOS:
Pritchard (G), Hauser (F), Horford (C)

DEN:
Jackson (G), Braun (G), Watson (F)

MIN:
Walker (G), Anderson (F), Reid (C)

OKC:
Wallace (G), Joe (G), Williams (F)

LAC:
Westbrook (G), Powell (G), Covington (F)

PHX:
Gordon (G), Okogie (F), Eubanks (F)

CLE:
LeVert (G), Okoro (F), Wade (F)

PHI:
Oubre (G), Reed (F), House (F)

MIL
Connaughton (G), Crowder (F), Portis (C)

What stands out to me is nothing really stands out.  It is understood that these 3 players on most teams will combine for maybe 45 min in the playoffs (average of about 15 min each).  So collectively, they are about as important as one of the starters, maybe a little more.  I will also add that this assumes all the teams starters are fully healthy.  If they aren't, one of these players will start.

The bench had been a concern for the Celtics, at least at the start of the season.  But Pritchard and Hauser have played fine and Horford is as good as a starter.  Our depth in terms of bigs is a little distorted because we start and extra guard, so we really only have 2 playoff rotation bigs.  That could still be an issue.  We'll see.