Author Topic: Cavs' Gilbert: 'We killed it' with Kyrie trade  (Read 5924 times)

Re: Cavs' Gilbert: 'We killed it' with Kyrie trade
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2019, 11:26:48 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Moronic
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2019, 11:30:36 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Gilbert is a bonehead

Teams will probably think twice before making deals with the Cavs

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2019, 11:35:37 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Dan Gilbert is 100% the worst but that trade's perception does vary wildly depending on where on the timeline you're looking at it.

Right after it happened: Yeah...I guess. The Celtics fans loved Isaiah and I can't think they're happy trading him but Kyrie is good and that Nets pick might not be all that great. A win for the Celtics, but decent haul considering how badly Kyrie wanted out.

After Isaiah's injury became known for how bad it was, and the C's had an awesome year w and w/out Kyrie: Wow. The Celtics killed that trade. It's embarrassing. LeBron is almost certainly gonna leave. And that pick looks like it isn't even gonna be top-10.

After LeBron and Isaiah left, and Sexton started out all-time terrible, and the Celtics still had huge expectations: I cannot believe Dan Gilbert is still an owner. Koby Altman did the best he could but this is proper "fudged".

After Sexton becomes good and Kyrie becomes whatever the heck he was after the All-Star and into the playoffs: As a Celtics fan I would like to say how unequivocally joyless I am and I hate these things (lists things). I blame these people (lists people). (Doesn't care about trade, too lost in tragedy of season)

When it looks like Kyrie is about to leave and Sexton looks like an exciting young player: I drink to numb the pain and confusion I feel because of this basketball team. I should probably get off twitter and hike more.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2019, 12:29:40 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Yeah, Dan. Sexton, Nance Jr., and Clarkson are gonna lead you to the promised land. Pop the champagne!
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2019, 01:37:12 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Celticsblog twitter account just RT'd this awful SBNation article trying to defend Gilbert's statement.

https://t.co/HXKBHGOT4G

The author conflates all the salary eating trades the Cavs made after LBJ left into the "Kyrie Irving trade". Just a bizarre way to spin what the Cavs are doing and the nature of the transactions. Eating bad money for assets is not the "Kyrie Trade".

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2019, 01:43:49 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Dan Gilbert is 100% the worst but that trade's perception does vary wildly depending on where on the timeline you're looking at it.

Right after it happened: Yeah...I guess. The Celtics fans loved Isaiah and I can't think they're happy trading him but Kyrie is good and that Nets pick might not be all that great. A win for the Celtics, but decent haul considering how badly Kyrie wanted out.

After Isaiah's injury became known for how bad it was, and the C's had an awesome year w and w/out Kyrie: Wow. The Celtics killed that trade. It's embarrassing. LeBron is almost certainly gonna leave. And that pick looks like it isn't even gonna be top-10.

After LeBron and Isaiah left, and Sexton started out all-time terrible, and the Celtics still had huge expectations: I cannot believe Dan Gilbert is still an owner. Koby Altman did the best he could but this is proper "fudged".

After Sexton becomes good and Kyrie becomes whatever the heck he was after the All-Star and into the playoffs: As a Celtics fan I would like to say how unequivocally joyless I am and I hate these things (lists things). I blame these people (lists people). (Doesn't care about trade, too lost in tragedy of season)

When it looks like Kyrie is about to leave and Sexton looks like an exciting young player: I drink to numb the pain and confusion I feel because of this basketball team. I should probably get off twitter and hike more.

He obviously could still take a leap, but I would say Sexton looks kind of like a dime a dozen player and it disappointing for what you would have hoped for from the brooklyn pick a few years ago (when it seemed guaranteed it would be top 5, like our kings pick). He scored some points cause he took nearly 15 shots a game, but he shot 43% from the field (though his three numbers were nice). He also averaged nearly as many turnovers as assists. All of his advanced stats he is actually a negative on both offense and defense. His BPM is a ghastly -5.2

Finally, I will say Fox for the Kings had really rough rookie numbers in Sac and turned it around, so it certainly is possible, but nothing to lament so far.

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2019, 02:15:24 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Congrats!  you killed it.  Have fun being in the toilet of the eastern conference for the foreseeable future.
Greg

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2019, 02:48:04 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
It wasn't awful from the Cav's standpoint. More like mediocre.  And from the Celtics standpoint...depends on whether Kyrie stays and how he plays moving forward.  Forgettable seems to be the more likely conclusion - for both sides.

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2019, 04:18:53 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
They got something rather than nothing I guess. But “killed it”? Dude continues to be one of the worst owners in sports.

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2019, 04:50:08 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Dan is sipping that wine and nibbling on that steak again..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLv6ycYcpGI

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2019, 05:08:31 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
What's everyone's general thoughts on Colin Sexton?

They talk about him like he'll never amount to anything in the league, but he's a 20 year old rookie.

He averaged 16.7 points, 3 assists, 2.9 rebounds with 43%/40%/84% shooting - only the 3rd rookie in history to ever average 16+ points while shooting above 40% from three and 80% from the line (the other two being Larry Bird and Steph Curry).  Post all-star break he averaged 21 points with 48%/41%/84% shooting.   Interesting he was able to shoot that efficiently despite how terrible the team was. 

Is he the guard version of Jahlil Okafor or could that kid have a future?  On The Ringer's trade value column they had Sexton right around the same range as Jaylen Brown (40-50 range).

Seems to me, if that kid develops and Kyrie bails - it could sting a bit.

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2019, 05:30:23 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

They talk about him like he'll never amount to anything in the league, but he's a 20 year old rookie.

He averaged 16.7 points, 3 assists, 2.9 rebounds with 43%/40%/84% shooting - only the 3rd rookie in history to ever average 16+ points while shooting above 40% from three and 80% from the line (the other two being Larry Bird and Steph Curry).  Post all-star break he averaged 21 points with 48%/41%/84% shooting.   Interesting he was able to shoot that efficiently despite how terrible the team was. 

Is he the guard version of Jahlil Okafor or could that kid have a future?  On The Ringer's trade value column they had Sexton right around the same range as Jaylen Brown (40-50 range).

His stats were pretty inflated by being allowed to take 15 shots as a rookie. Very few small guards rookies get to do that, but when they come in on real bad teams it doesn't really mean a whole lot. Johnny Flynn rookie year was probably better stats for example 14.5 points, higher assists to turnover ration (Sexton's passing is really concerning) and nearly identical 42% shooting. Darren Collison was 12, 6 and a much more impressive 48% shooting as a rookie. Langston Galloway was 12, 3 and 40%. Heck even a guy like jalen brunson this year averaged 9 and 3 on 47% shooting.  There are of course some great rookies that also did this, but if you look at the list it is also littered with guys that didn't pan out and jsut played a lot on a bad team. That is a little more realistic way of thinking about it than the silly steph curry and larry bird stuff..

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2019, 05:36:17 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

His stats were pretty inflated by being allowed to take 15 shots as a rookie. Very few small guards rookies get to do that, but when they come in on real bad teams it doesn't really mean a whole lot. Johnny Flynn rookie year was probably better stats for example 14.5 points, higher assists to turnover ration (Sexton's passing is really concerning) and nearly identical 42% shooting. Darren Collison was 12, 6 and a much more impressive 48% shooting as a rookie. Langston Galloway was 12, 3 and 40%. Heck even a guy like jalen brunson this year averaged 9 and 3 on 47% shooting.  There are of course some great rookies that also did this, but if you look at the list it is also littered with guys that didn't pan out and jsut played a lot on a bad team. That is a little more realistic way of thinking about it than the silly steph curry and larry bird stuff..
Sexton was more efficient than Flynn.  Collison might be a fair comp, but he was a few years older when he entered the league and ended up having a solid career.

Not saying you're wrong... but generally when a player that young shoots that well - it's a good sign. 

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2019, 06:04:52 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Sexton was more efficient than Flynn.  Collison might be a fair comp, but he was a few years older when he entered the league and ended up having a solid career.

Not saying you're wrong... but generally when a player that young shoots that well - it's a good sign.

If he shoots 40% from 3 throughout his career that will definitely lead to a long career. If Okafor had 3 point shooting as his great skill instead of low post scoring he would probably still be a rotation player and maybe even a starter. His 40% from 3 was especially impressive cause he only shot 33% from 3 at his one season in college. It also is problematic that for a guy that has been drafted as a point guard he averaged 3 assists in 32 minutes. That suggest more of rotation combo guard rather than a star...

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2019, 07:02:17 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Dan gilbert is an idiot