Author Topic: Trade Deadline Predictions  (Read 11261 times)

Re: Trade Deadline Predictions
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2024, 03:54:45 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Kelly O to the Cs

« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2024, 04:19:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Maybe Toronto instead of tanking, uses the assets to add to their team.  Like maybe they go get Keldon Johnson or Dejunte Murray (or something like that).  They don't own their pick, so why not try to win and add someone that fits with Barnes and Barrett long term.

Are there protections on that pick?
top 6 and it will be hard to get into top 5 with the 5 full season tankers (and Memphis). So they'd have to win the lottery
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2024, 04:26:59 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Maybe Toronto instead of tanking, uses the assets to add to their team.  Like maybe they go get Keldon Johnson or Dejunte Murray (or something like that).  They don't own their pick, so why not try to win and add someone that fits with Barnes and Barrett long term.

Are there protections on that pick?
top 6 and it will be hard to get into top 5 with the 5 full season tankers (and Memphis). So they'd have to win the lottery

They’re only a game back of Memphis, so they could easily catch them.  If they put their heart into it they could catch Portland.  Everyone else is out of reach, however.

« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2024, 04:34:30 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Looking at the Raptors side of the deal some more, I wonder how far into tank-mode they’ll go this year.  They owe the Spurs a top-6 protected pick in June.  They’re only a game off the 6th worst record, which would give them about a 54% chance of losing the pick.  They’re much further off the Blazers for the 5th worst record, but a good tank job could get them there with a half-season to go, dropping the odds to about 36% that they’d lose the pick.

Alternatively they could keep hovering around the play-in game, since it doesn’t hurt them too much if they miss it.  But I think they’d be better served by moving whatever else they can to give them a better chance to keep their pick and reset the roster.

Do the Raptors buy out Thaddeus Young, Chris Boucher or Otto Porter Jr.?

Boucher has another year on his deal, so not him, but yes to the other 2 if they aren’t moved.
I certainly would be interested in picking up Thad. He’s an experienced vet who might be needed in case of injury or foul trouble. He would bolster the 5 spot without giving up Kornet or Queta.

« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2024, 04:50:14 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
Brogdon to Miami.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2024, 06:12:30 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Looking at the Raptors side of the deal some more, I wonder how far into tank-mode they’ll go this year.  They owe the Spurs a top-6 protected pick in June.  They’re only a game off the 6th worst record, which would give them about a 54% chance of losing the pick.  They’re much further off the Blazers for the 5th worst record, but a good tank job could get them there with a half-season to go, dropping the odds to about 36% that they’d lose the pick.

Alternatively they could keep hovering around the play-in game, since it doesn’t hurt them too much if they miss it.  But I think they’d be better served by moving whatever else they can to give them a better chance to keep their pick and reset the roster.

Do the Raptors buy out Thaddeus Young, Chris Boucher or Otto Porter Jr.?

Boucher has another year on his deal, so not him, but yes to the other 2 if they aren’t moved.
I certainly would be interested in picking up Thad. He’s an experienced vet who might be needed in case of injury or foul trouble. He would bolster the 5 spot without giving up Kornet or Queta.

Young would be a really good fit.

« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2024, 08:37:39 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Brogdon to Miami.
I heard rumor of Brogdon to NYK for Grimes and picks.

« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2024, 09:29:38 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Brogdon to Miami.

Playing for Thibs might actually kill Brodgon
I'm bitter.

« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2024, 09:39:42 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Brogdon to Miami.

That would be a good trade for POR, especially if it is picks (plural), but I don't think the salaries work unless NYK send back Fournier.  If POR has to take back Fournier, they still get a decent young player and picks I guess, but are really no better off in terms of contracts. 

Fournier is untradeable right now without attaching multiple picks, which POR wouldn't do.  Maybe if Fournier gets out of NYK and plays better, they can get something for him in the off season, but I doubt it.

This seems plausible for the NYK.  They get a solid vet who can help them, but they give up a lot due to having to make up for POR absorbing Fournier.  I guess they have the picks so why not.

« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2024, 11:25:02 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Do yall think Houston will do anything?  Could trade Jeff Green, Bullock, and Oladipo and bring back 30 mil in salary.  Maybe go after a SF like Derozan or Jerami Grant?

« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2024, 11:26:45 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Do yall think Houston will do anything?  Could trade Jeff Green, Bullock, and Oladipo and bring back 30 mil in salary.  Maybe go after a SF like Derozan or Jerami Grant?

Jerami Grant would be pretty cool for them. I wouldn't go after DeRozan. You have to build your offense around him as a midrange scorer. Jerami Grant though ... he can fit anywhere and he'd do well there.

« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2024, 12:36:58 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Brogdon to Miami.

That would be a good trade for POR, especially if it is picks (plural), but I don't think the salaries work unless NYK send back Fournier.  If POR has to take back Fournier, they still get a decent young player and picks I guess, but are really no better off in terms of contracts. 

Fournier is untradeable right now without attaching multiple picks, which POR wouldn't do.  Maybe if Fournier gets out of NYK and plays better, they can get something for him in the off season, but I doubt it.

This seems plausible for the NYK.  They get a solid vet who can help them, but they give up a lot due to having to make up for POR absorbing Fournier.  I guess they have the picks so why not.

Why is Fournier untradable as an expiring contract? That actually makes him an asset no? Unless this is incorrect: https://www.spotrac.com/nba/new-york-knicks/evan-fournier-10845/

Otherwise a team option for next year is a very good asset for teams looking to get off money.

« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2024, 01:36:30 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Brogdon to Miami.

Playing for Thibs might actually kill Brodgon

LOL

"Ian Begley: Tom Thibodeau on OG Anunoby playing 86 total min in back-to-back: “Right now, we’ve got to find our way as we’re adjusting. So, find a way to win & then build our rhythm…Just go day by day & some guys are playing big minutes (because) we’re shorthanded.”

« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2024, 01:59:42 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436

I don’t think it makes sense for them to bring in an older, high salary player. Rockets aren’t good. They are 2 games under .500 now.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 02:49:17 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2024, 04:47:33 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50

I don’t think it makes sense for them to bring in an older, high salary player. Rockets aren’t good. They are 2 games under .500 now.

With LAL, Phoenix, and GS underperformed- they might take this opportunity to Jumpstart the team. Young guys getting better. They kept that Oladipo contract to use it. Maybe they just donsomething smaller.