Author Topic: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions  (Read 450370 times)

Re: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions
« Reply #885 on: September 30, 2016, 03:35:52 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

And what good is a thread if someone is going to ignore 70% of it?

Here's my point: You wouldn't have to ignore 70% of a thread if it were just LarBrd's posts.  It's the hyperventilating responses that aren't even about what he said, but are instead about how he said it, or how what he said squares with what he posted a year ago, that takes up 70% of the thread.

Lol phosita. Please please please tell me you see the irony of your response immediately below a 1745 word post from Larbrd where he explains the history of his viewpoints and people's interactions with him. It is quite literally taking up 50% of the space available on the page for all responses. Furthermore, as you have pointed out to him many many times this kind of post makes the thread about him and his view points and it is no longer about rules and regulations at all. Your response below this pretty funny in contrast to what is above it. You acting like none of this issue when you have said many times otherwise in the past and is quite comical to me.
This thread became about me on Page 57.  I joined and offered a response 15 posts later. 

Alas, I'm not willing to stand idly by as dozens of posts are made about me being a "psycho" and "clinically insane".   Luckily for you, there's a big bold opt-out button at the bottom of my signature that I strongly encourage you to use if you're not willing to see my side of it.  If it's more comfortable for people to blindly bash me without a rebuttal, I'm willing to play ball and expedite a solution that will help them get to that happy place.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 04:56:58 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #886 on: September 30, 2016, 03:39:36 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Lol phosita. Please please please tell me you see the irony of your response immediately below a 1745 word post from Larbrd where he explains the history of his viewpoints and people's interactions with him.

I've explained my feelings on this already.  I think there's blame on both sides but we clearly have different opinions about the primary cause of the problem.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #887 on: September 30, 2016, 05:36:42 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Lol phosita. Please please please tell me you see the irony of your response immediately below a 1745 word post from Larbrd where he explains the history of his viewpoints and people's interactions with him.

I've explained my feelings on this already.  I think there's blame on both sides but we clearly have different opinions about the primary cause of the problem.
We are on the same page now. All good.

« Reply #888 on: September 30, 2016, 05:40:48 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Lying is not an opinion.

If someone wants to persist in doing so they shouldn't be offended when they are initially called out on it. I figure once that is done there's no sense in continuing to point it out. They've already done the damage to their own reputation at that point.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #889 on: September 30, 2016, 08:13:27 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Since the Nets thread got locked, I'll just post this here and tap out.   I'm not telling anyone how to run this place but while a bunch of us can be argumentative little jerks, like me, there is one guy who is consistently in the middle of most of the nonsense around here.  He's now taken up flat out lying about stuff he posted in the past which, even if he's just trying to be funny, is plain and simple trolling behavior.  I'm not saying the rest of us are angels, but there shouldn't be one guy everybody else has to tiptoe around, no matter how long he's been posting here.

Mike

See, the thing that I've noticed is that there's a certain group of posters who insist on derailing every thread in which that guy posts into a contentious and obviously futile exercise in trying to get him to admit to every mistaken thing he's ever predicted or opined upon.  The post becomes a referendum on a particular poster and his proclamations about Joel Embiid rather than whatever the original topic was.

To me, that's more of a problem than one guy on this forum who likes to post tongue in cheek and try to get attention by stating things that are in-context-controversial.  If you don't engage and don't take it so seriously, then the thread keeps moving along.  People just need to accept that some people are the way they are and do what they're gonna do, you're not going to get them to break down and admit they were wrong all along.  And moreover, it's not fun to be here if that's gonna be the goal of so many discussions -- to force people to own their mistakes and be held accountable for them.

This becomes a negative environment if there's a frequent pattern of people refusing to take what other posters say in a given thread at face value because of the need to bring up the context of other posts in other threads.  The worst times I can think of to be on this forum have been when people insist on creating factions and using labels for posters who they perceive to be on the opposite side of whatever divide they want to create, whether it's Tankers vs Anti-Tankers, or whatever.  They disagree reflexively because the person making a post is somebody they identify as a "tanker," or whatever, and so fail to actually read what was said in that thread.
Pho,

You have gotten into it a few times with said poster yourself and have also complained numerous times about the poster constantly making threads about themselves so this comment seems really disingenuous

I thought the bolded part was in reference to me, but I hope not. While I tend to make snarky posts, they aren't intended to be harmful or insulting. And relative to the conversation, I've tried to encourage others to refrain from feeding into the behavior in question without choosing a side. It has fallen on deaf ears enough that I stopped, though.
Deaf ears is correct. If CB had an ignore button I  would have used it long ago. The guy who shall not be named has an inability to change. As I have written before, responding only feeds a sad ego and problematic personality. Simply ignore him and Both life and this place improve.

Re: the bolded

(1) Click on Profile.
(2) Under "Modify Profile," click on Buddies/Ignore List.
(3) Click Edit Ignore List
(4) Type in username next to "Member:" and click Add.

:)

I plan on using it if/when needed. HTH
Thank you, thank you, thank you. Lb33 is now banished from my CB life. A tp for you sir.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #890 on: September 30, 2016, 08:25:25 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I'd like to briefly chime in to declare that I am the best poster on CB.  Thanks for reading.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #891 on: September 30, 2016, 08:51:57 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Since the Nets thread got locked, I'll just post this here and tap out.   I'm not telling anyone how to run this place but while a bunch of us can be argumentative little jerks, like me, there is one guy who is consistently in the middle of most of the nonsense around here.  He's now taken up flat out lying about stuff he posted in the past which, even if he's just trying to be funny, is plain and simple trolling behavior.  I'm not saying the rest of us are angels, but there shouldn't be one guy everybody else has to tiptoe around, no matter how long he's been posting here.

Mike

See, the thing that I've noticed is that there's a certain group of posters who insist on derailing every thread in which that guy posts into a contentious and obviously futile exercise in trying to get him to admit to every mistaken thing he's ever predicted or opined upon.  The post becomes a referendum on a particular poster and his proclamations about Joel Embiid rather than whatever the original topic was.

To me, that's more of a problem than one guy on this forum who likes to post tongue in cheek and try to get attention by stating things that are in-context-controversial.  If you don't engage and don't take it so seriously, then the thread keeps moving along.  People just need to accept that some people are the way they are and do what they're gonna do, you're not going to get them to break down and admit they were wrong all along.  And moreover, it's not fun to be here if that's gonna be the goal of so many discussions -- to force people to own their mistakes and be held accountable for them.

This becomes a negative environment if there's a frequent pattern of people refusing to take what other posters say in a given thread at face value because of the need to bring up the context of other posts in other threads.  The worst times I can think of to be on this forum have been when people insist on creating factions and using labels for posters who they perceive to be on the opposite side of whatever divide they want to create, whether it's Tankers vs Anti-Tankers, or whatever.  They disagree reflexively because the person making a post is somebody they identify as a "tanker," or whatever, and so fail to actually read what was said in that thread.
Pho,

You have gotten into it a few times with said poster yourself and have also complained numerous times about the poster constantly making threads about themselves so this comment seems really disingenuous

I thought the bolded part was in reference to me, but I hope not. While I tend to make snarky posts, they aren't intended to be harmful or insulting. And relative to the conversation, I've tried to encourage others to refrain from feeding into the behavior in question without choosing a side. It has fallen on deaf ears enough that I stopped, though.
Deaf ears is correct. If CB had an ignore button I  would have used it long ago. The guy who shall not be named has an inability to change. As I have written before, responding only feeds a sad ego and problematic personality. Simply ignore him and Both life and this place improve.

(1) Click on Profile.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Lb33 is now banished from my CB life. A tp for you sir.  ;D

I know this isn't a life or death forum but ignoring people with a different viewpoint (and refusing to acknowledge your behavior could use improvement if people want to ban you) is probably the reasoning behind our country being extremely divided. It is a small thing here but an important point in my opinion.

« Reply #892 on: September 30, 2016, 09:25:49 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I'd like to briefly chime in to declare that I am the best poster on CB.  Thanks for reading.

« Reply #893 on: September 30, 2016, 09:28:49 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Whatever yourself, pal! I thought this was the "All Narcissism" thread.  ;)

Aside: Rachel McAdams forever stole my heart in The Notebook. What a dreamboat.

« Reply #894 on: September 30, 2016, 09:30:38 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Speak for yourself. I'm yuuuuuuuggggggeee!!!

« Reply #895 on: September 30, 2016, 09:33:06 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
Speak for yourself. I'm yuuuuuuuggggggeee!!!

True, eja. You're definitely a (not so) close 2nd. :)

« Reply #896 on: September 30, 2016, 09:43:41 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Mike

Pho,

(1) Click on Profile.

this is the best news I've heard here in ages (the ability to ignore that is).  TP to rondofan1255!!

« Reply #897 on: September 30, 2016, 09:46:29 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Agreed. A tp for the CB God.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #898 on: September 30, 2016, 09:57:59 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
Agreed. A tp for the CB God.  ;D

Back at ya for your fantastic judgement! :)

« Reply #899 on: September 30, 2016, 10:03:47 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.