Author Topic: Could Horford end up being the worst contract of offseason?  (Read 91547 times)

Re: Could Horford end up being the worst contract of offseason?
« Reply #120 on: August 14, 2019, 03:51:41 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
He should be 2nd option after Embidd..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #121 on: August 14, 2019, 04:01:42 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

He's the 5th option, after Simmons, Harris, and Richardson. Richardson will get his shots -- if you watch him play, he always does. Harris and Simmons will get more looks.

I really think they view Horford as an Iggy-type of veteran presence, unselfish, and good defender.

People will be surprised when he averages 7-5-3 this year. You heard it here first.

« Reply #122 on: August 14, 2019, 04:34:29 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

He's the 5th option, after Simmons, Harris, and Richardson. Richardson will get his shots -- if you watch him play, he always does. Harris and Simmons will get more looks.

I really think they view Horford as an Iggy-type of veteran presence, unselfish, and good defender.

People will be surprised when he averages 7-5-3 this year. You heard it here first.

Yeah I was thinking something similar. The last thing the Sixers need is another star.

My guess is that they brought Al in to be the glue guy.

« Reply #123 on: August 14, 2019, 05:33:31 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
at least for this year it might be o e of the worst decision Dannys made letting our center go to Philadelphia.

SMH ....i got a bad feeling about this

« Reply #124 on: August 14, 2019, 08:20:30 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
That's a lot of money for a "glue guy" I kind of soured on Al last season. He wasn't a glue guy this past season.
ok fine

« Reply #125 on: August 14, 2019, 09:33:02 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 121
That's a lot of money for a "glue guy" I kind of soured on Al last season. He wasn't a glue guy this past season.

I don't believe that he ever has been a "glue guy". 

People have always hyped Horford's leadership skills, and never in my life have I really seen any signs of it.  Horford is a very intelligent and highly skilled player who is highly versatile on both ends of the court.  But a leader?

I've never really seen Horford stop to give a speech when the guys are struggling.  I've never heard stories of him pulling guys in line when they are going off the rails.  I've never heard much about him being especially vocal or active in the locker room.  When the team has been down and struggling (e.g. during away games in the playoffs a couple of years back) I didn't see him step up and take on the challenge to help prepare guys and lead the team.

I seriously don't see any signs of real verbal leadership from Horford, nor do I see any real signs of him being a leader through his play.  All i see is that he is a smart, skilled, efficient basketball player who helps teams win - but that's not necessarily leadership. 

« Reply #126 on: August 15, 2019, 06:50:29 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
If Embiid stays healthy and Simmons get his shooting stroke, this team be hard tp beat..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #127 on: August 15, 2019, 07:14:26 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
If Embiid stays healthy and Simmons get his shooting stroke, this team be hard tp beat..
Don't think this is on the cards
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #128 on: August 15, 2019, 07:37:49 AM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
As long as he holds up pretty well for two years no.

The 76ers are all in on the next two years, after that they'll be selling off someone.

Isn't 56 million for two years of non-all-star level play fairly unprecedented?

Otto Porter comes to mind

« Reply #129 on: August 15, 2019, 08:43:37 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
The 1st 2 years, no

The last 2 years, yes!

The Tobias Harris one is up there too

Streaky shooter on a 5 year deal?!! Yuck.

« Reply #130 on: August 15, 2019, 08:44:57 AM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16

THat is really one of their big flaws.  Simmons as one of their big three ans he is neither an in the blocks guy nor an outside shooter.  Embiid is ther obvious #1 option, but out of all of their other players who is the #2 scoring option?  Harris?  simmons and horford should both be number 3-4 types that get 10-12 points per game and 4-6 assists per game.  At least horford has inside/outside ability.  Simmons not being able to shoot, but still demanding to shoot on offense is holding them back.  He needs to at least get the shooting of Magic to allow his ball handling and passing to stand out, especially for his size.

« Reply #131 on: August 15, 2019, 08:45:30 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Me either. I don't like anything about Ben Simmons and his extension was ridiculous.

The Jamal Murray extension I can see why because he can shoot lights out, but Simmons? I don't see it.

The Sixers are cluttering up their cap space and now have zero flexibility.

« Reply #132 on: August 15, 2019, 10:34:43 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619

Me either. I don't like anything about Ben Simmons and his extension was ridiculous.

The Jamal Murray extension I can see why because he can shoot lights out, but Simmons? I don't see it.

Simmons does everything else better than Murray. I find both of their extension crazy.

I still can't wrap my head around a top baller who's unable to shoot. It's not that he's a bad shooter but it's like he's never shot a basketball before.

Only thing I can relate to basketball wise is not being able to dribble. Sure some guys have weak handles but they all can dribble.

I'm glad he can't shoot because he's probably be best player in the league if he could.
ok fine

« Reply #133 on: August 15, 2019, 10:37:04 AM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125

Those are some big ifs.

Embiid is potentially running on borrowed time. People forget this guy's injury history. In his first three seasons, he played 31 games out of 246. This is coming off his lone college season which ended early with a back surgery. The past two seasons he's been healthy, but has played just 63 and 64 games respectively.

Simmons's shot is unlikely to be reparable. Let's look at it this way: On this site we have spent lots of time debating whether or not Marcus Smart's outside shot would ever come around. (Last year put those concerns to bed, at least temporarily.) But Simmons is a different level of brokenness. Marcus actually shot 33% from 3 in his rookie season, on four attempts her game. There was something to work with there, in other words. Simmons is now 23 years old and has attempted 17 3-point shots in his entire career. He can be a dynamic player, no doubt, but him becoming a passable jump shooter at this stage should be seen as highly improbable.

Sixers went all-in, and are one of the top teams in the East. They have a title window open the next couple years. So give them credit. But I also see a few ways their whole trajectory goes very wrong.

« Reply #134 on: August 15, 2019, 10:45:49 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Simmons does everything else better than Murray. I find both of their extension crazy.

I still can't wrap my head around a top baller who's unable to shoot. It's not that he's a bad shooter but it's like he's never shot a basketball before.

Only thing I can relate to basketball wise is not being able to dribble. Sure some guys have weak handles but they all can dribble.

I'm glad he can't shoot because he's probably be best player in the league if he could.
Agreed.  LeBron couldn't shoot either when he came into the league, but he kept working at it until he became at least decent (34% 3-pt for career).  More importantly, he was never afraid to keep shooting.  Simmons is not so brave.