Author Topic: Could Horford end up being the worst contract of offseason?  (Read 91619 times)

Re: Could Horford end up being the worst contract of offseason?
« Reply #225 on: November 14, 2019, 02:07:42 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Suddenly the 76ers are no longer all-world beaters losing 4 of their last 6 games.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #226 on: November 14, 2019, 03:37:37 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Suddenly the 76ers are no longer all-world beaters losing 4 of their last 6 games.
Dame Lillard's contract might be the worst.
We will know the answer to this question in 3-5 years.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #227 on: November 14, 2019, 04:10:28 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The guy averaging 31/7/5 on 48/39 shooting is not worth a super-max, or whatever he's on? Hard to make that argument.

Not his fault CJ McCollum can't buy a bucket. They also have three other sub-40% FG shooters in their main rotation, and are missing their starting center.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #228 on: November 14, 2019, 05:12:37 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
The guy averaging 31/7/5 on 48/39 shooting is not worth a super-max, or whatever he's on? Hard to make that argument.

Not his fault CJ McCollum can't buy a bucket. They also have three other sub-40% FG shooters in their main rotation, and are missing their starting center.
I said that his new contract extension signed this offseason might be the worst contract of the bunch.
Not his current max deal, he is worth it.
But this new deal starts in 2 years from now and finishes when he is aged 35.
Smallish guards in their 30ies usually aren't worth 50 million per year.

« Reply #229 on: November 14, 2019, 05:18:07 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I said that his new contract extension signed this offseason might be the worst contract of the bunch.
You're right, but I don't know what their alternative is. He's a top-3 Blazer of all time (off the top of my head).
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #230 on: November 14, 2019, 06:12:18 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff

You're right, but I don't know what their alternative is. He's a top-3 Blazer of all time (off the top of my head).
Possible alternative would be to extend him next summer. That would give them at least a bit more time to observe. In the meantime things come up, like for example a possible cap space drop-off (China). I love Dame Lillard, let's get that straight. I just think that his contract has a way to become the worst of the 2019 summer.

« Reply #231 on: November 14, 2019, 07:49:47 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587

Lillard is worth his contract. Horford could end up overpaid in a couple of years.

But the answer to this thread is Horford’s teammate, Tobias Harris. Boy is that contract looking like a massive stinker.

« Reply #232 on: November 14, 2019, 08:05:25 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Andro isn't necessarily wrong here. Supermax contracts are almost never worth it. He is slated to make almost $51M in 23-24 and over $54M in 24-25...that's right, over $54M when he is 35 y/o. We discuss Horford not being worth his contract or if Brown is overpaid, but their contracts are in the mid-20s; mid-50s is crazy! I guess the Blazers are counting on the salary cap increasing.

« Reply #233 on: December 29, 2019, 01:29:15 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
From liberty ballers tonight: “horford was a staggeringly bad -25 for the contest for seven points and looked lost or washed up at different times.

I’m beginning to wonder if he needs to take an extended break through the All-Star game to hit the reset button. He’s either hurt, or cooked, or in a dreadful funk that somehow makes him stink at defense sometimes too. He probably should not have been out there since he had played so little down the stretch but coach Brown showed faith in his veteran ability plugging him in for the crucial stop. He responded with a rookie type of mistake.”

Yikes. Horford averaging a career low in just about every stat. I really liked him as a player but this is shaping up to be a disaster for the 5 seed 76ers who owe Horford over 100 million still...

« Reply #234 on: December 29, 2019, 08:05:27 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
From liberty ballers tonight: “horford was a staggeringly bad -25 for the contest for seven points and looked lost or washed up at different times.

I’m beginning to wonder if he needs to take an extended break through the All-Star game to hit the reset button. He’s either hurt, or cooked, or in a dreadful funk that somehow makes him stink at defense sometimes too. He probably should not have been out there since he had played so little down the stretch but coach Brown showed faith in his veteran ability plugging him in for the crucial stop. He responded with a rookie type of mistake.”

Yikes. Horford averaging a career low in just about every stat. I really liked him as a player but this is shaping up to be a disaster for the 5 seed 76ers who owe Horford over 100 million still...

i thought he looked cooked too.    When embiid is playing well,  Horford disappears .   He doesn't add much to the equation from what im seeing , at least not for his price .    He is worth maybe 60 % of the way he is playing .  He ll really be a slug in another year at this rate.  Father time stepped in on Al Horfords party.

« Reply #235 on: December 29, 2019, 08:50:39 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

i thought he looked cooked too.    When embiid is playing well,  Horford disappears .   He doesn't add much to the equation from what im seeing , at least not for his price .    He is worth maybe 60 % of the way he is playing .  He ll really be a slug in another year at this rate.  Father time stepped in on Al Horfords party.

This was utterly predictable. And its even worse than it looks, because he started the year well. In December, he is 10ppg, 6rpg, 3.5apg on 42/35/83 shooting.

I honestly thought he would become a big version of Iggy for the Sixers, scoring like 6-7 points per game but having a huge effect.

I'm not sure he can have that same effect.

« Reply #236 on: December 29, 2019, 09:28:05 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The last game against MIami, Horford was +21 in 32 minutes and the Sixers were -25 in the 16 minutes he was on the bench.  He was also +5 in the Orlando game they lost by 1. 

Obviously he didn't play well yesterday, but seems strange this thread only gets posted in when Horford has a bad game, although Harris was even worse than Horford was yesterday, so I'm not sure it solidifies the point that Horford had the worst contract of the offseason.  12 points on 15 shots.  ouch. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #237 on: December 29, 2019, 10:22:05 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
The last game against MIami, Horford was +21 in 32 minutes and the Sixers were -25 in the 16 minutes he was on the bench.  He was also +5 in the Orlando game they lost by 1. 

Obviously he didn't play well yesterday, but seems strange this thread only gets posted in when Horford has a bad game, although Harris was even worse than Horford was yesterday, so I'm not sure it solidifies the point that Horford had the worst contract of the offseason.  12 points on 15 shots.  ouch.

Given the premise of this tread is to question whether it might end up the worst contract of the off-season, it isn't really strange that the thread gets fuel after a bad game.  In fairness to the thread premise, a guy who is 33 and making 28M in the 1st year of a 4 year deal should probably not be underperforming for any stretch of games (one could make a case for a December decline) -- if the plan is to be an important player for 4 years.  The thread questions the long-term value of the contract and therefore I think it's pretty reasonable to highlight his lowlights especially in the 1st year of the deal when he would presumably be closest to his prime.

« Reply #238 on: December 29, 2019, 10:36:41 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

As someone that literally bumped this very thread after he had a single good game, saying it is strange to bump when the author of their primary blog openly wonders whether he is cooked is absolutely priceless Moranis. I have to give you a tp for that. Very well done

« Reply #239 on: December 29, 2019, 10:48:48 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Wish Al was here now..he would be awesome with Kemba
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin