Author Topic: Why Bruins Fans Hate Us.  (Read 9003 times)

Why Bruins Fans Hate Us.
« on: May 15, 2009, 05:41:07 PM »

Offline huzy

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • We not Me
I have several friends who are Bruins fans and the resentment that they feel towards many Celtics fans today is sincere and justified.

For the last 23 months, the Celtics have taken over as the relevant franchise playing off of Causeway street. We had a meteoric rise from worst to first and have been blessed with a World Class team, whose success no one could have foreseen this time of year in 2007.

Many of my friends are season ticket holders to the B’s and after reading and hearing some of the complaints about the Celtics, they were ready to lose it. Yesterday the Bruins lost their piece of the Championship pie, yet the word on the street is that the poor Celtics fans have to watch a Game 7.

We are a truly lucky fan base, both in the long term history of the franchise and in the short term.

We just fought and won an EPIC first round series. (I bet Bulls fans wouldn’t mind having the problem of game 7 on Sunday.) Yet, there is so much animosity towards this OVERACHEIVING team that many Celtics fans sound like…..I’m gonna say it….our hated rival baseball fans in the Bronx.

“Championship or bust!” Who do we think we are?!

If you need any perspective to appreciate the run this undermanned team has made, look no further than someone wearing a Black and Gold jersey.

I’m looking forward to game 7 and I’m proud to be there. My friends who are Bruins fans would love to have another game to watch this weekend….     

I’m keeping them in mind before I complain about losing Game 6.
"      “I can make a trade every day if I want to, but that's not going to help us. A trade that would get us better rarely comes along. They're very difficult to find. Good trades are very difficult in our league and don't happen very often.”
-Danny Ainge

Re: Why Bruins Fans Hate Us.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 05:44:23 PM »

Offline vagrantwade

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Bruins are a 3rd rate symphony in a baseball and basketball town.

Make that 4th rate, after the Boston Marathon.

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 06:14:49 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I'm pretty sure the Celts are the "3rd rate symphony", since clearly the Pats are the second most popular team in town (even if they don't play in the city).

As for the Bruins, I'm a fan (although not as strong a fan as I am of the Celts) and I wouldn't feel too sorry for them.  They have a good management team, and a great young core of players.  Unlike the Celtics, they should be a top tier team for years to come with only some minor tweaks.  The Celtics won a championship, and I'm thrilled, but the Bruins have a longer window, I believe.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 06:59:48 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590

I'm pretty sure the Celts are the "3rd rate symphony", since clearly the Pats are the second most popular team in town (even if they don't play in the city).

As for the Bruins, I'm a fan (although not as strong a fan as I am of the Celts) and I wouldn't feel too sorry for them.  They have a good management team, and a great young core of players.  Unlike the Celtics, they should be a top tier team for years to come with only some minor tweaks.  The Celtics won a championship, and I'm thrilled, but the Bruins have a longer window, I believe.

I feel more confident about Bostons window after seeing how good some of the younger guys played in these playoffs. I believe we will in the  mix for a few years after KG and the rest move on. This is of course our salary cap isn't where it needs to be for us to make some moves to fill the holes. So I lead myself into a question for you Roy: Are we going to be in trouble cap wise for the next few years. Or is there a way that Ainge can make some moves?
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 07:11:08 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70

I feel more confident about Bostons window after seeing how good some of the younger guys played in these playoffs. I believe we will in the  mix for a few years after KG and the rest move on. This is of course our salary cap isn't where it needs to be for us to make some moves to fill the holes. So I lead myself into a question for you Roy: Are we going to be in trouble cap wise for the next few years. Or is there a way that Ainge can make some moves?
As much as I love ray (and trust me this has nothing to do with his recent slump) I think the smart move would to trade him and his expiring contract, for younger talent. It all depends on what we can get, but I don't see why we wouldn't be able to get something good, especially with teams trying to save money.

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 07:14:32 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
So I lead myself into a question for you Roy: Are we going to be in trouble cap wise for the next few years. Or is there a way that Ainge can make some moves?

It depends what we do in free agency, etc.  We're over the cap (and the luxury tax) next season, pretty much no matter what.  The following year, we could end up very slightly under the cap, if we allow Ray to walk; if we re-sign him to a reasonable deal and sign some of the other guys on our roster (including extending Rondo) we won't be under the cap, but we may be able to stay under the luxury tax.

For '11-'12 and beyond, we're in good shape, with only KG's contract expiring in '11-'12 to be concerned with.  (Giddens and Walker will also be under team options at that point).  Hopefully we will have worked out extensions with Rondo, Perk, and BBD by that time.  As for the window, I personally don't think Rondo, Perk, and BBD is the nucleus of a championship-caliber team; a lot will depend upon how Danny can supplement the team through trades and free agency.  For the long term, I'd rather be in the Bruins position.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 07:21:53 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
So I lead myself into a question for you Roy: Are we going to be in trouble cap wise for the next few years. Or is there a way that Ainge can make some moves?

It depends what we do in free agency, etc.  We're over the cap (and the luxury tax) next season, pretty much no matter what.  The following year, we could end up very slightly under the cap, if we allow Ray to walk; if we re-sign him to a reasonable deal and sign some of the other guys on our roster (including extending Rondo) we won't be under the cap, but we may be able to stay under the luxury tax.

For '11-'12 and beyond, we're in good shape, with only KG's contract expiring in '11-'12 to be concerned with.  (Giddens and Walker will also be under team options at that point).  Hopefully we will have worked out extensions with Rondo, Perk, and BBD by that time.  As for the window, I personally don't think Rondo, Perk, and BBD is the nucleus of a championship-caliber team; a lot will depend upon how Danny can supplement the team through trades and free agency.  For the long term, I'd rather be in the Bruins position.

Thanks. I agree that those three are not the nucleus for a team but I think they can be leaned on a little heavier if the continue to improve. We would need to get some star power to keep contending. But its good to know that we wont be hurting that long. My biggest fear is going back to the dark ages again. I really dont want to have to wait a decade to become relevant again.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 07:38:09 PM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18

Thanks. I agree that those three are not the nucleus for a team but I think they can be leaned on a little heavier if the continue to improve. We would need to get some star power to keep contending. But its good to know that we wont be hurting that long. My biggest fear is going back to the dark ages again. I really dont want to have to wait a decade to become relevant again.
          For the short term future(next 2 years or so), I think the Celtics will be fine. With the right trades and free agent signings, I think the Celtics can reload for another legitimate title run around our current starting 5, if everyone is healthy.

I don't think the Celtics should worry about the cap if they want to win a championship, we won't have enough cap room to sign a quality free agent anyway. We should wrap up Rondo long term so we don't have to give him a max contract in 2010, since so many teams are shedding salary. If we can trade our expiring players for a quality overpriced player(Nocioni comes to mind), I would do it. Add some quality veteran MLE or LLE players to the mix, I think we have a shot in 2009.

As for the Bruins, they have a bright future, they need to add some good players too, but they do have more of an extended window than the Celtics do. As for Bruins fans hating on Celtics fans, I find that funny. More people would have been following the Bruins over the years if it wasn't for their terrible owners who only care about money. They finally got some hockey guys running things, and hopefully they can win a cup within the next 3 years.

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 08:00:51 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
im a casual fan of the b's.  i havent found many b's fans who hate the celts. most boston sports fans root and support all the teams, whether they are diehard, casual, or fairweather.

for your friends who hate us, fat joe said it best.....

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 08:56:09 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
I'm about as big a Bruins guys as you'll find on this blog, and the thought that there are Bs fans out there who hate the Celtics makes zero sense to me. I'm sure it's true, because frankly the less sense things seem to make to me these days, the more likely they are real. However, it's stupid.

If they don't care about basketball or the NBA, that's one thing. But to actively hate the local team? That's just stupid.

Also, I hate Scott Walker.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 10:28:28 PM »

Offline butterbeanlove

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 191
If there's anything that's stupid, it's the pseudo debate out there on talk radio and elsewhere about whether Boston is a "hockey town" (or a baseball town, etc.). Only in Boston could we have four championship-caliber teams and rather than celebrating this, eat our own with a pointless debate about which team has more fans.

From my experience, there is little overlap between Bruins and Celtics fans because we play in the same season. Any animosity is just WEEI hosts trying to stir up ratings. (Not that they would stoop to that.)

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 11:32:51 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
who are the brewins....

are the red wings still in it?

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 11:53:59 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

agreed... on everything.

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 01:34:55 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I have several friends who are Bruins fans and the resentment that they feel towards many Celtics fans today is sincere and justified.

For the last 23 months, the Celtics have taken over as the relevant franchise playing off of Causeway street. We had a meteoric rise from worst to first and have been blessed with a World Class team, whose success no one could have foreseen this time of year in 2007.

Many of my friends are season ticket holders to the B’s and after reading and hearing some of the complaints about the Celtics, they were ready to lose it. Yesterday the Bruins lost their piece of the Championship pie, yet the word on the street is that the poor Celtics fans have to watch a Game 7.

We are a truly lucky fan base, both in the long term history of the franchise and in the short term.

We just fought and won an EPIC first round series. (I bet Bulls fans wouldn’t mind having the problem of game 7 on Sunday.) Yet, there is so much animosity towards this OVERACHEIVING team that many Celtics fans sound like…..I’m gonna say it….our hated rival baseball fans in the Bronx.

“Championship or bust!” Who do we think we are?!

If you need any perspective to appreciate the run this undermanned team has made, look no further than someone wearing a Black and Gold jersey.

I’m looking forward to game 7 and I’m proud to be there. My friends who are Bruins fans would love to have another game to watch this weekend….     

I’m keeping them in mind before I complain about losing Game 6.

I agree that some sound like Yankees fans. There is a sense of entitlement that is pretty bad in the northeast in general.

That being said, it isn't our fault the Bruins are losers.
 :P

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 04:33:59 PM »

Offline pbak63

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 25
Well as an outsider (English guy), I was lucky enough to visit Boston in 1988 when both the Bruins & Celtics had good teams.

I paid big $$$ to see both teams and was thrilled to see such fantastic games in amazing atmospheres.

I never felt that there was bad feeling towards one team from another, though I can appreciate that people don't like hockey or basketball and wouldn't actively go and
support the 'other' team.

I was always made to feel very welcome in my 2 month stay and still have great memories of seeing the Bruins beat NJ in Game 7 as well as Bird defeat the Hawks almost single handedly in Game 7.

I still hate Bill Laimbeer.