Author Topic: Official Euro 2008 Thread  (Read 87845 times)

Re: Official Euro 2008 Thread
« Reply #285 on: June 29, 2008, 04:48:09 PM »

Offline Max Power

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
We're the champions !!! what a year for this sports fan, first the Real madrid won La Liga, then the Celtics  and finally Spain, I'm in heaven now.  ;D 

« Reply #286 on: June 29, 2008, 05:07:13 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Congratulations to Spain. Great tournament from start to finish and the deserved European Champions.

« Reply #287 on: June 29, 2008, 05:40:12 PM »

Offline V_for_verde

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
We are the Champions! We are the Champions! ;D

« Reply #288 on: June 30, 2008, 02:21:59 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
In Aragones defence i`d say that he putting fresh legs upfront 15-20 min before full time is a common practice. Torres after 70mins should be tired making it a litle easier for the german defence so one of the central defenders could move forward. The rested Guitha could keep them  both busy although he is not as good as Torres is

Other than that Spain deserved the win. They should have scored at least one goal more.

« Reply #289 on: June 30, 2008, 03:08:45 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Congratulations to Spain. The best team of the tourney has won, and as depressed as I am, thatīs still a good thing.

I just want to say a few things about the german players:

1. Lahm is not bad defensively, quite the opposite. His only bad defensive game was against Turkey, and Podolski in front of him did not work enough in that game. As I already said, I follow his career since heīs 19, and can only remember a hand full of bad games by Lahm.

2. Mertesacker is a good centre back. The problem might be that Metzelder`s and Mertesacker`s names sound similar, so one might be inclined to put them together in their evaluation. Metzelder was the one who sucked. He made unnecessary turnovers and was always out of position defensively. Statistically, Mertesacker is one of the best defenders in europe. Heīs very smart, gives 100% and always tries to play fair, I canīt blame him.

3. We only had 4 shots on the spanish goal in the whole game. Thatīs the lowest number in a german game since 1998. We always tried to close the passing lanes and somehow forgot that you need at least one player who attacks the opposing player with the ball, which led to many easy conter opportunities for Spain. The spanish players are too good with the ball and play too direct for that tactic. In return, the spacing on offense was horrible, lazy passes and no smart plays whatsoever. No way you win any game with such a performance.

4. I want a new goalie. Bierhoff, the team manager, is best friends with Lehmann, so I think that played into the decision for Lehmann. We have more good goalies than field players in Germany, I donīt know why we needed a 38-year-old Lehmann.

Just an overall poor performance, our leaders didnīt step up, and when Lahm went out, we all knew it was over. Oh well, Ballack, Klose and Frings still have a chance at the WC 2010. Theyīll be 32/33 then, but I guess they`ll still play that tourney.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #290 on: June 30, 2008, 04:01:52 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
The first 20 mins showed that the German badge on the uniform is more important than the players wearing the uniform. Spain seemed scared just playing against Germany although they are far better team. Once they got over it they never looked back and won the game easily i`d say

4. I want a new goalie. Bierhoff, the team manager, is best friends with Lehmann, so I think that played into the decision for Lehmann. We have more good goalies than field players in Germany, I donīt know why we needed a 38-year-old Lehmann.

Maybe it`s the well known english-keeper desease.
Once someone gets to be the keeper the the NT won`t be replaced until he retires .... Shalke`s keeper is good

« Reply #291 on: June 30, 2008, 04:57:08 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
spain were the best team of the tournament by far. that didn't surprise me, i said if they can get their heads right then they had the quality to be able to do something - maybe the exclusion of guti and raul wasn't so bad after all.

with regards to last night's game, that was the *worst* germany have played for a long time. they went 1-0 down and never looked like scoring. finally kuranyi (who should have started every match) came on and gave them a spark but it wasn't enough. lahm went out and it was over then really.

i think the referee was terrible also. clear penalty when marchena handled in the area but no whistle. several fouls for both teams that came from nowhere - bennet salvatore would be proud.

who, i agree that collectively germany are impressive, but, when an individual has been in inspired form such as podolski or ballack (other than the turkey game) then you have to reward that.

i would change my 11 now the tournament is over though. sadly, fabregas still isn't included ahead f ballack and senna.

as for lehmann (who replaced kahn before he retired), this needs to be his last game for germany. he is quite frankly an awful goalkeeper and should not be anywhere near that starting xi - he was at fault for 5 of the 7 goals germany conceded. manuel neuer is class if not a bit young. rene adler is class, so is robert enke. i would go with manuel neuer. give him the chance to be the next cassillas.

« Reply #292 on: June 30, 2008, 09:05:05 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Xavi was named player of the tournament

Euro 2008 team of the tournament

Goalkeepers: Gianluigi Buffon (Italy), Iker Casillas (Spain), Edwin van der Sar (Netherlands).

Defenders: Bosingwa (Portugal), Philipp Lahm (Germany), Carlos Marchena (Spain), Pepe (Portugal), Carles Puyol (Spain), Yuri Zhirkov (Russia).

Midfielders: Hamit Altintop (Turkey), Luka Modric (Croatia), Marcos Senna (Spain), Xavi Hernández (Spain), Konstantin Zyryanov (Russia), Michael Ballack (Germany), Cesc Fābregas (Spain), Andrés Iniesta (Spain), Lukas Podolski (Germany), Wesley Sneijder (Netherlands).

Forwards:
Andrei Arshavin (Russia), Roman Pavlyuchenko (Russia), Fernando Torres (Spain), David Villa (Spain).

« Reply #293 on: June 30, 2008, 09:16:16 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
i've got no problem with xavi getting that award although i may have gone with senna. the squad i don't have problems with, either. although, i wouldn't have put pavlyuchenko in there, the guy should have scored 15 goals in this tournament. and what? no lehmann? ;)

« Reply #294 on: June 30, 2008, 09:33:02 AM »

Offline DinoRadjaLives

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
i've got no problem with xavi getting that award although i may have gone with senna. the squad i don't have problems with, either. although, i wouldn't have put pavlyuchenko in there, the guy should have scored 15 goals in this tournament. and what? no lehmann? ;)

As a die hard fan of the "furia roja" I have to agree with you that Senna deserves the award over Xavi. Senna completely controlled the midfield and was the main reason Spain beat Italy. Yet I can help but smile as I have had a phenomenal sports year Real Madrid won La Liga, then the C's, and now spain winning the Euros and getting the "chokers" monkey off thier backs.

"Que Viva Espana!!!!" ;D
"The Boston Celtics are not a basketball team, they are a way of life" - Red Auerbach

« Reply #295 on: June 30, 2008, 06:37:27 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Felicidades Espaņoles

Great tournament
Great last game
very nice ritm
Beautifull anticipation
Nice hustle