Author Topic: Official Champions League Final Thread  (Read 16615 times)

Re: Official Champions League Final Thread
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2008, 04:39:00 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
When did Fergie lose his bottle? When did it happen?

Why 3 central midfielders? Why scrap your game plan? Why stop your fluid attacking football?

When did this happen to Fergie? Where did his confidence in his team and style of play go?

Good thing there's a mickey mouse manager on the other side. If Jose was still there this game would have been a Chelsea victory by now.

I like the Giggs substitution, that'll help in extra time.

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2008, 04:53:08 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Man Un seems tired. It was more than obvious that Carrick and Paul couldn`t keep up with Lampard - Makelele-Balack. So Alex decided tp stay back securing the midfield and hoped that while attacking Chelsea would leave some more space for a counterattack. He did the same thing in Barcelona.

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2008, 04:59:35 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm not even into the sport except World Cup time but this match has roped me in...

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2008, 05:07:48 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Yeah you re right. it`s very interesting game. Both teams lost quite  a few chances and the game could go either  way

Also lets keep in mind that both team started the season mid August! And for some of them this is not the end! First week of june Euro starts.... I`m tired just typing this! :D

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2008, 05:14:50 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
What a moronic thing to do, by one of my favorite players Didier Drogba.

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2008, 05:18:07 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Drogba in most part of the season was nervous. I think it has something t do with Murihno leaving the team. Grant lost a great penalty taker

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2008, 05:22:37 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Hate penalty shootouts, they should go to replay instead.

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2008, 05:27:23 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Not possible... The schedule is very tight.

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2008, 05:33:53 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
undelievable shootout

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2008, 05:39:51 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
That was crazy, Terry is going to be haunted by that for a loooong time. Amazing how depending on how it went, either Ronaldo or Terry was going to be the goat, after both played a great game.

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2008, 05:51:58 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Like the world cup 94 when Baggio missed the penalty. I feel sorry for Terry. He is a wreck. He has played every game 110% , even with serious injuries , a true captain. One of the toughest players in the game can`t stop crying......

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2008, 06:02:34 PM »

Offline CelticsPrideKG

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
I guess KG isn't a happy guy right now (1-0 lead in ECF not considered) . . . I believe he is a big Chelsea FC fan if I'm not mistaken.

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2008, 06:03:41 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
Funny how after the game I am watching the post game coverage, and ESPN2 cuts away from their coverage to play NASCAR Now? Speaking as an American sports fan, I will never understand how people here can't embrace a true sport like soccer, and at the same time consider driving a car in a circle to be a sport.

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2008, 06:44:01 PM »

Offline shbanua

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 4
soo happy right now. i'll be wearing a big smile on my face the whole day. the match as a whole was pretty decent, although i didn't get to enjoy it since i was too tense every time chelsea attacked. united were on the back foot much of the 2nd half but i think going 4-3-3 was the right approach. chelsea were definitely on the ups and would've gotten punished a lot more had they gone gung ho. in the end, the thing that probably decided the tie was drogba's foolish sending off. no one knows what would've happened but he definitely would've been odds on to score in the pens. as it turns out another englishman bottles a shootout. feeling pretty fortunate, but you need some luck at that stage. go united!

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2008, 09:00:05 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
i started this thread yesterday but sadly i couldn't post during the game. but wow, that was intense. to the point that i was praying relentlessly during the shoot-out (never discount the power of prayer).

right now, i'm ecstatic. i couldn't be happier. this has been a special season for me with man utd winning the champions league and before it the league. i only hope now that the celtics can do me proud and 2008 could be the greatest sports year of my life. or greatest, period.

with regards to the game itself, not a classic by no means. ronaldo was indifferent, outstanding first half relatively quiet remainder. i think chelsea probably shaded it, but united certainly had the best chances, most of which fell to tevez. but none of that matters. the fact united are champions is what matters and my goodness there isn't a happier person around than me right now.