Author Topic: Trade to continue GSW dynasty  (Read 3646 times)

Trade to continue GSW dynasty
« on: August 16, 2019, 09:05:29 PM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
Warriors receive: Bradley Beal
Wizards receive: Russell, 2-3 future unprotected firsts

This would happen close to the NBA trade deadline when Russell is putting up huge stats, Thompson is almost ready to return and Washington have already essentially missed playoff contention.

For me Thompson is a 3 going into his 30’s and after an injury that will limit his ability to defend guards, with some bulking up at 6’7 he could easily be an elite small forward and adding a young Beal who and defend at a high level, ball handle and play off the ball is perfect compliment next to Curry.

Wizards will get a All-Star in Russell who is ready to carry the franchise to winning basketball and with an untradeable Wall returning they can theoretically play together, combined with Rui, another high draft pick and 2-3 Warriors picks their future would be healthy.

Re: Trade to continue GSW dynasty
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 01:15:59 AM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
FORUM

a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

...Perhaps we’ve found a new meaning then lol.

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 01:50:30 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Solid post. Really like the trade for both teams.

Good landing spot for Russell. No better landing spot out there for Beal.

Let Russell run the show and learn teammate's timing until 2020-2021 where he and John Wall form up a poor man's Portland backcourt.

Curry/Beal/Thompson/Green is a championship contender level core top 3 best shooting team ever. TP makes a lot of sense.

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 07:06:31 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'd rather have Russell and the 2 or 3 firsts than Beal.  even without the firsts I might rather have Russell than Beal. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 07:59:52 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I'd rather have Russell and the 2 or 3 firsts than Beal.  even without the firsts I might rather have Russell than Beal.

Washington absolutely wins this trade, Russell has a longer contract and they get 2 or 3 first round picks. 

I’m not so sure Washington will be out of the playoff picture at the trade deadline, I really hope that IT is finally healthy and he can put them on his back.   
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 08:35:52 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Washington absolutely wins this trade, Russell has a longer contract and they get 2 or 3 first round picks. 

I’m not so sure Washington will be out of the playoff picture at the trade deadline, I really hope that IT is finally healthy and he can put them on his back.

Ugh I lost my post so I’ll try to make a shorter one.

The clock is running on Curry and Thompson’s prime and for that matter Green.  Beal is clearly the better player than Russell just entering his prime.  I also think Thompson can easily play SF as he gets older.  The Wizards aren’t going anywhere with Beal, might as well get a little younger, hope for better draft position in the near future, and also hope one of the Warriors picks is far enough into the future that it becomes pretty good.

I think something like this makes a lot of sense from both sides, and I’m not sure either side can do much better trading Beal and Russell away.

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 11:44:29 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

Ugh I lost my post so I’ll try to make a shorter one.

The clock is running on Curry and Thompson’s prime and for that matter Green.  Beal is clearly the better player than Russell just entering his prime.  I also think Thompson can easily play SF as he gets older.  The Wizards aren’t going anywhere with Beal, might as well get a little younger, hope for better draft position in the near future, and also hope one of the Warriors picks is far enough into the future that it becomes pretty good.

I think something like this makes a lot of sense from both sides, and I’m not sure either side can do much better trading Beal and Russell away.

I’d do this trade if I was either time, but Washington wins this trade IMO.

I like the direction the new front office is taking the Wizards, if I was them I’d look to see if anyone would take Beal if they attached Wall to him.  Take on salaries with less years and tank like crazy for 3 years, aka the Philly Process.  I’m excited for IT to get meaningful playing time this season. 
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 12:07:36 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I agree with most of the folks, Washington wins that trade, but I think the Warriors would still do it regardless.

Bradley Beal will be a better fit for their lineup.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 01:21:13 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I don't know that GSW need to make this trade.  I remember first seeing the trade and thinking that GSW would trade Russell as soon as they could or when Thompson came back, but the more I thought about it, the more I questioned this initial reaction.

Part of the value of Russell is the long term contract (4 seasons).  Unless you think Russell is going to end up being a bad contract (does not perform up to the contract), I don't think Beal is enough of a short term upgrade to warrant the trade.  Now if you are not that sold on Russell, then sure, flipping him for 2 years of Beal is a good deal.

I have come around to believing that Curry, Russell, and Thompson are going to be a formidable trio.  Ideally, Russell understands and adjusts to more of a distributor role but in any case, he will be more of a facilitator than Beal even will.  Russell will probably become the primary ball handler/initiator, if for nothing else, to take some load off Curry.  That doesn't mean that he turns into Rondo, pounding the ball and looking for assists, just take the load of getting the ball up and the offense started.  Then the ball should just move.