Author Topic: Mock Trade Deadline Discussion and Comments  (Read 24543 times)

Re: Mock Trade Deadline Discussion and Comments
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2018, 09:40:20 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
The Lakers just spent two first round draft picks to unload Luol Deng.

They are screwed if James goes somewhere else or George stays in OKC.

Well my Knicks had to trade away two future first round picks to unload Noah while getting back Shroder...  :P

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2018, 09:48:54 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Well my Knicks had to trade away two future first round picks to unload Noah while getting back Shroder...  :P

Both moves were ... questionable.

« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2018, 12:51:30 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I’d rather give up two protected picks in 2020-22 and 2022-24 or whatever it is, than one of my young guys like Ingram, Kuzma or Ball.

Other than that, the 2019 free agency class isn’t too bad, *cough* Klay Thompson, DeAndre Jordan, *cough*

I don’t think LA is screwed, really.

Tampering!! Tampering!!! Strip him of draft picks! Oh wait, he doesn't have any! :)
You can rip my second round picks from my cold dead hands
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2018, 12:54:36 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

No they are not.  They've cleared their books of all their bad contracts.  They've got lots of flexibility now.  If they can't get the free agents they want this offseason, they can sign a bunch of 1 year contracts and try again the following offseason. 

Getting off of bad contracts is expensive. Listened to Nate Duncan's podcast earlier and he estimated 1 1st rounder for 20M salary dump.  In this case, the 1st rounders are 2020 and 2022 at the earliest which makes them less valuable. 

« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2018, 01:43:42 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

No they are not.  They've cleared their books of all their bad contracts.  They've got lots of flexibility now.  If they can't get the free agents they want this offseason, they can sign a bunch of 1 year contracts and try again the following offseason. 

Getting off of bad contracts is expensive. Listened to Nate Duncan's podcast earlier and he estimated 1 1st rounder for 20M salary dump.  In this case, the 1st rounders are 2020 and 2022 at the earliest which makes them less valuable.
This was my logic. TP

« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2018, 11:11:13 AM »

• Paul Silas

This was my logic. TP

Don't forget to update signatures!

« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2018, 11:56:05 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

This was my logic. TP
Interesting.  I didn't realize you had the Lakers and the Wizards.  You'd probably get my vote for best deal making for the Lakers and you'd probably get my vote for worst deal making for the Wizards. 

Didn't like the Beal - Gobert deal but at least you were able to dump Mahinmi.  Hate the Dragic deal.  Dragic is 31 and on the decline.  I don't like the Wall/Dragic combo. And to top it off you took back Tyler Johnson's awful contract.   

« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2018, 12:32:27 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

I don't think Shroder is bad. Not elite, but very solid and at age 24 has room to grow.

Idk I admittedly asked some of my Knicks friends at Uni what they thought of this deal and they thought it was decent, but they also aren't really high on Ntilika so...  :P

Not the sexiest move but I think the Randle move is a great one for NYK.  ;D
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2018, 02:29:54 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619

I don't think Shroder is bad. Not elite, but very solid and at age 24 has room to grow.

Idk I admittedly asked some of my Knicks friends at Uni what they thought of this deal and they thought it was decent, but they also aren't really high on Ntilika so...  :P

Ya I don't get the Schoder hate here dude can ball. Most guards don't play much defense so knocking him on that seems trivial.

He's got no one in ATL right now so it's hard to tell if he could be elite (I'm not delusional don't think he's KI but he's certainly not Marcus Smart either). What good is a PG with no weapons to pass to?

ok fine

« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2018, 05:17:52 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'm still waiting for that Joe Ingles straight up for LeBron trade.

Cavs would totally be winning that deal.

« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2018, 06:20:53 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

This was my logic. TP
Interesting.  I didn't realize you had the Lakers and the Wizards.  You'd probably get my vote for best deal making for the Lakers and you'd probably get my vote for worst deal making for the Wizards. 

Didn't like the Beal - Gobert deal but at least you were able to dump Mahinmi.  Hate the Dragic deal.  Dragic is 31 and on the decline.  I don't like the Wall/Dragic combo. And to top it off you took back Tyler Johnson's awful contract.   
Interesting.

I’m not going to go in depth trying to defend the trades, because if you don’t like players I certainly can’t change that. My logic was mainly to try and fix the cancerous Washington locker room, and solidify my bench. A bench of Johnson, Bellinelli, Burks, Nelson, Dedmon and Mike Scott is much more solid than the one where Tim Frazier and co were running around. I’m also a much bigger Dragic fan than you, and now my team has 3 All-Star caliber players when healthy, not two. Can’t please everyone ;)

« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2018, 10:17:40 PM »

• Paul Silas

This was my logic. TP

Interesting.

I’m not going to go in depth trying to defend the trades, because if you don’t like players I certainly can’t change that. My logic was mainly to try and fix the cancerous Washington locker room, and solidify my bench. A bench of Johnson, Bellinelli, Burks, Nelson, Dedmon and Mike Scott is much more solid than the one where Tim Frazier and co were running around. I’m also a much bigger Dragic fan than you, and now my team has 3 All-Star caliber players when healthy, not two. Can’t please everyone ;)

What if the cancer was John Wall? :)

I'm just busting your chops. They aren't trades I would have made, but we'll let the forum decide if they were good.

« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2018, 12:24:26 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Ya I don't get the Schoder hate here dude can ball. Most guards don't play much defense so knocking him on that seems trivial.

He's got no one in ATL right now so it's hard to tell if he could be elite (I'm not delusional don't think he's KI but he's certainly not Marcus Smart either). What good is a PG with no weapons to pass to?

Schroeder is very OK.  I think there are a handful of backup PGs in the league that are better, so I don't think he's all that great.  Everybody will have different preferences, but guys like Terry Rozier, Delon Wright, Lou Williams, and whoever you'd consider to be the backup on teams like SAC, SA, DET all could be considered better than Schroeder, maybe even D-Rose too if he and Schroed swapped places.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2018, 02:38:36 PM »

Offline shake603

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13
Has it been discussed as a group how we're handling general managers that seem to not be participating anymore? I think its fine if folks are busy or want to step away, i'm just wondering if its come up at all.

« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2018, 03:32:21 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Has it been discussed as a group how we're handling general managers that seem to not be participating anymore? I think its fine if folks are busy or want to step away, i'm just wondering if its come up at all.

Obviously they’re not getting any votes from me on having done a good job, but obviously it’s too late in the game to do anything else. Remember them for the next mock deadline so they don’t get to play again I suppose.