Author Topic: BOS / ATL / NOP idea  (Read 4486 times)

Re: BOS / ATL / NOP idea
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2021, 05:51:03 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Boston trades: Smart, Timelord, 1st, two seconds
Boston receives: J.J. Redick, John Collins, Kris Dunn

Atlanta trades:  John Collins, Tony Snell, Kris Dunn, second
Atlanta receives: Smart, Timelord, #1

NOP trades: Redick
NOP receives: Snell, three seconds

Theis / Thompson
Collins / Williams
Tatum / Langford
Brown / Redick / Nesmith
Kemba / Pritchard / Teague

I think Redick, Nunn and the 2nd rounders all have fringe value, to the point that this is basically Smart plus two late 1sts for Collins. Once you consider we're losing 2 from our rotation, Collins is a RFA in the offseason, and the huge potential hit to chemistry, I think you pass. The talent is tantalizing and it could work out, but you're betting a lot on Brown / Tatum / Collins clicking.

My opinion is that at some point, we are going to need to improve our talent to win the title. That is worth a chemistry risk. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2021, 06:39:17 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
One of the rare trades on this board that I don't immediately throw in the trash, lol. 

I'm on the fence about whether NOP really needs to be included in this deal.  JJ of three or four years ago would be very valuable on this team.  But nowadays, JJ is looking pretty used up.  Having said that, he's more likely to be useful for one season than Tony Snell.  Or, alternatively, he's more likely to get hot for a few weeks just as some playoff hopeful gets desperate for some extra shooting around the trade deadline.  So there is that.

As for the Smart/Collins idea... I think it makes some sense.  Collins could potentially fit with the Jays very well, at least offensively.  Jury is out on whether he has the ability or the willingness to be a positive on the other end.  But adding a 20/10 guy who doesn't need to dominate the ball is very appealing to me.

Dunn is quietly an elite defensive player, when he's healthy.  Tony Allen-like.  Atlanta may not be willing to just throw him into this trade... or, they may like him enough to not be very interested in Smart at all.  He's a poor offensive player, but on a team with Kemba/Jaylen/Jayson/Collins, that hopefully wouldn't matter too much. 

I like this overall.  Not sure Atlanta does it, also not sure whether it needs to be a three-team deal, but it's a very interesting idea.  TP for the thought. 

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2021, 11:07:12 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I'd rather trade Kemba than Smart right now. I think we have a bright 4 seasons ahead of us with Jaylen + Jayson, Kemba will be on the decline over those years, and Smart will be in his prime years. Smart gives us something different that is always valuable no matter whose on the floor with him. More (and declining) usage-dependent offense is not something we'll need that much with Jaylen specifically showing that he can be really effective in that role.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2021, 11:18:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'd rather trade Kemba than Smart right now. I think we have a bright 4 seasons ahead of us with Jaylen + Jayson, Kemba will be on the decline over those years, and Smart will be in his prime years. Smart gives us something different that is always valuable no matter whose on the floor with him. More (and declining) usage-dependent offense is not something we'll need that much with Jaylen specifically showing that he can be really effective in that role.

I prefer Kemba, but his contract is prohibitive in a trade for any guy on a rookie deal.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2021, 04:21:47 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
It's hard for me to believe that Atlanta has such a casual regard for John Collins, a
50%+ FG, 40%+3FG, and 80%+FT guy this season who is also 23, but apparently they do. In the modern NBA, these are the kind of players you should salivate over at the 4.

Having said that, I'm not sure that an immature and unreliable backup 4/5 and a petulant shooting guard who doesn't shoot very well plus a pick that will likely be in the low 20's is going to get it done. I'm not ignoring Smart's defense, energy, and toughness. He is the 21st Century's rich man's version of T. R. Dunn.

It's hard to know what could be added to the trade: Langford? more pick(s)?

If the OP's original deal is acceptable to Atlanta, I would do it. If we can do a slimmed down two team trade, I would do that. If the pot needs to be sweetened a bit, I would do that. This is the kind of player that we should be actively targeting in trade talks.

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2021, 06:54:22 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd add a extra "handshake" protected 1st if needed to make this deal happen.

(If Collins resigns under 27 million per, send a low salary player dump and a protected 1st for a second.)

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2021, 04:07:19 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
3 Team Trade

Boston - Collins, Snell, Bledsoe, Redick, Fernando
New Orleans - Walker, BOS 1st
Atlanta - Hayes, Nesmith, G Williams, Edwards,

I think that might work for all 3 teams. 

Boston post-trade

PG - Bledsoe, Pritchard, Teague
SG - Brown, Smart, Redick, Langford
SF - Tatum, Snell, Ojeleye
PF - Collins, Theis, Fernando
C - Thompson, R. Williams

I like that team long term a lot better and might even like it better in the short term.  Certainly a more balanced roster.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip