Author Topic: U.S. Politics may cost the U.S. the 2026 World Cup  (Read 8446 times)

Re: U.S. Politics may cost the U.S. the 2026 World Cup
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2018, 02:34:43 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Doesn't Qatar have like actual slavery and support terrorism? Yet FIFA losing their minds over Trump but have no problems with the Putin apparently.

The US will be just fine without the World Cup.. ::)

As others have mentioned, I don't think its as much about Trump and more about the US investigations on corruption that has put many officials in hot water. I think its a grudge they have and if there is more money going towards official pockets, they'll happily vote against their self-interest.

If I'm not mistaken, every official has an equal vote, so Germany has the same exact say as Guam. This means that if you are looking to corrupt agents, just go for the small countries that don't have much at stake and collectively sway a decision one way.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 05:38:18 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Like we have a chance to win the world cup, what have you been smoking.   Woman, have a chance but our men's team has never really been the running no matter how peeps hype it.

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2018, 06:18:17 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Like we have a chance to win the world cup, what have you been smoking.   Woman, have a chance but our men's team has never really been the running no matter how peeps hype it.

The discussion is about hosting, not winning.

It will be several decades, at least, before we win a Cup.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2018, 12:38:18 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
http://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/3473731/fifa-points-to-ethics-rules-after-trump-tweets-support-of-world-cup-bid

The latest. Trump's tweet yesterday probably violates FIFA ethics rules.  It is shaping up to be a close vote between Morocco and the joint US/Canada/Mexico bid. 

Still boggles the mind that Morocco has any real shot, especially with the expanded 48 country field and all the problems that apparently exist with their bid to begin with.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 12:55:46 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2018, 12:53:11 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
http://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/3473731/fifa-points-to-ethics-rules-after-trump-tweets-support-of-world-cup-bid

The latest. Trump's tweet yesterday probably violates FIFA ethics rules.  It is shaping up to be a close vote between Morrocco and the joint US/Canada/Mexico bid. 

Still boggles the mind that Morrocco has any real shot, especially with the expanded 48 country field and all the problems that apparently exist with their bid to begin with.
"FIFA ethics"

My new favorite oxymoron
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2018, 12:53:35 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Here is the Trump Tweet:

"The U.S. has put together a STRONG bid w/ Canada & Mexico for the 2026 World Cup," the president tweeted. "It would be a shame if countries that we always support were to lobby against the U.S. bid. Why should we be supporting these countries when they don't support us (including at the United Nations)?"

I guess this sort of thing is OK in strong arm real estate developer circles but did he really think this was going to be OK?  Support us or else and broadcast this to the world?

Sounds like this clearly violates FIFA's rules but this could even be racketeering, or what ever the legal term is for this sort of extortion.  Morocco could potentially sue us I would think.  Get  Michael Avenatti on this to represent the Moroccan World Cup committee or whatever the entity is.

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2018, 12:55:27 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Lets focus on making the next one first. What a joke the USA mens team was in qualifying this WC.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2018, 12:56:34 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Lets focus on making the next one first. What a joke the USA mens team was in qualifying this WC.
with as bad as they played, hosting might be their only shot at qualifying. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2018, 01:08:10 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
with as bad as they played, hosting might be their only shot at qualifying.
I know you are joking, but in a historically dissapointing qualifying period this cycle they missed the World Cup by a single point.

They will undoubtedly make the next World Cup. They are clearly the second most talented team in the Hex.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2018, 01:16:18 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Here is the Trump Tweet:

"The U.S. has put together a STRONG bid w/ Canada & Mexico for the 2026 World Cup," the president tweeted. "It would be a shame if countries that we always support were to lobby against the U.S. bid. Why should we be supporting these countries when they don't support us (including at the United Nations)?"

I guess this sort of thing is OK in strong arm real estate developer circles but did he really think this was going to be OK?  Support us or else and broadcast this to the world?

Sounds like this clearly violates FIFA's rules but this could even be racketeering, or what ever the legal term is for this sort of extortion.  Morocco could potentially sue us I would think.  Get  Michael Avenatti on this to represent the Moroccan World Cup committee or whatever the entity is.

I admit I'm not a legal expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't get the whole "countries suing other countries" thing; like, how does that work? how are inter-country lawsuits even enforced?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2018, 01:55:12 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
FIFA lecturing anyone on ethics is hilarious.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2018, 01:59:39 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324

Kinda like the NCAA, right?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2018, 02:10:56 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

FIFA makes the NCAA look like child's play. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2018, 02:38:57 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
That's okay...let's just have it in North Korea--because Donald Trump just ended the freaking Korean War after over 60 years....!
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2018, 02:58:02 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

FIFA makes the NCAA look like child's play.
Honestly, the next World Cup is in a country that still has slavery.