Author Topic: Celts targeting Darius Garland?  (Read 3825 times)

Celts targeting Darius Garland?
« on: June 19, 2019, 07:33:51 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/nba/news/nba-draft-rumors-celtics-interested-in-trading-up-to-no-4/19temkvxi1th6195ysgcizrbp7

I could see something like our 14th pick and Smart to the Pelicans for the 4th Pick happening? Don’t think Ainge makes Brown or the Memphis Pick available, and definitely not Tatum.

Keep in mind there will be a ton of good PG’s in next years draft - Cole Anthony, LaMelo Ball, Theo Maledon - who I think will all be better than Garland. Maybe it’s best to wait?

Re: Celts targeting Darius Garland?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 07:36:54 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Don't see the Pels doing that deal.  Garland would be real nice on that rebuilding team along with Zion, Jrue and Ingram.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 07:39:50 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
This rumor circulated a day or two ago here. Doesn't seem realistic, and seriously doubt we would offer up Smart to do it.

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 07:18:23 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 162
  • Green 18!
Don't see the Pels doing that deal.  Garland would be real nice on that rebuilding team along with Zion, Jrue and Ingram.

Uhm... Lonzo Ball? He's pretty underrated and if given a real chance, he could have a "most improved player" development within a year. So no need for them to draft another PG.

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 07:52:25 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

Uhm... Lonzo Ball? He's pretty underrated and if given a real chance, he could have a "most improved player" development within a year. So no need for them to draft another PG.

I agree.  You took Ball with all belief that he is the PG of the future and he's also only 21 so he'd develop along side Zion, Ingram, etc.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 08:18:55 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
The question is, what is it that Pelicans need at this point.

Ball
Jrue
Ingram
Zion
??

Looking at the outside in, they need a young center to grow with the young core, and a reliable 6th man who can cover multiple positions.

IMO Smart and the 14th makes some sense to the Pelicans.

They get an all nba defensive player who is a backup to Ball and Jrue and who can start when Ball no doubt goes down with Injury.

AND

at 14 they can take one of the centers (Goga, Fernando) that fit with the timeline.

Smart, 14th, for #4 and Moore.

Ball/Smart
Jrue
Ingram
Zion
Goga

solid young team with 100 million picks from LAL to add as time goes on.

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 08:32:19 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Unless the offer is something like Brown plus 14, I doubt that New Orleans bites. I don't think that we would ever do that.

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 08:44:35 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Rumor is that the pels want a all star or fringe all star for it.
Beals name is getting thrown around.

From the C’s it would take Brown. Not sure I’d personally trade brown for the flavor of the week (Garland)

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 08:45:33 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
It may be relevant to point out that Garland is represented by Rich Paul and Klutch Sports.

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2019, 08:49:19 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I’d rather draft Carsen Edwards at 22, he’s a shorter version of Garland but comes up huge in big games. 
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2019, 08:53:04 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I’d rather draft Carsen Edwards at 22, he’s a shorter version of Garland but comes up huge in big games.
After IT and KI, I'm so sick of undersized guards.

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2019, 09:03:09 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
Unless the offer is something like Brown plus 14, I doubt that New Orleans bites. I don't think that we would ever do that.

First I will say, I hate the idea of trading a unproven draft pick.

In this case I really hate the idea. Brown is going into his 4th year. He's a proven player, who I see improving each year.
If I'm not mistaken, you are talking about trading not only him, but also a first round pick for the Garland, Who hardly played last year. He would be the 4th pick in a 3 player draft.

Hard pass for me.

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2019, 09:05:44 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Don't believe we'll trade Brown or Smart unless it's a great value. I think for Garland to become realistic, he has to slide down to at least 6.

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2019, 09:09:36 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406

First I will say, I hate the idea of trading a unproven draft pick.

In this case I really hate the idea. Brown is going into his 4th year. He's a proven player, who I see improving each year.
If I'm not mistaken, you are talking about trading not only him, but also a first round pick for the Garland, Who hardly played last year. He would be the 4th pick in a 3 player draft.

Hard pass for me.

The thought process behind trading Brown for the 4th, according to the experts, is that while it's not a great deal for us it makes the decision of not having to pay him 20-25 million next year.
It sounds like Ainge might be going full on rebuild, and doesnt want to be tied down with a large Brown contract.

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2019, 09:10:44 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
We need size and we need multiple players.

I expect one pick will be shipped out to a team that wants to take on Baynes. That leaves 2 picks. Have to get at least one big and then best around.