Author Topic: Avatar Movie  (Read 25236 times)

Re: Avatar Movie
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2010, 10:30:08 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Some stories are just too odd to be made up

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/vatican-says-avatar-no-masterpiece-ap

I wonder if the Vatican will be taking on New Moon and Harry Potter next.

And I always kind of wonder who this person "The Vatican" is. The Pope. I know who that is. I don't know who "The Vatican" is.

It would be like if you read "New York says that Avatar is bad".  Or "The District of Columbia says...."

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2010, 10:35:05 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/vatican-says-avatar-no-masterpiece-ap

And I always kind of wonder who this person "The Vatican" is. The Pope. I know who that is. I don't know who "The Vatican" is.

It would be like if you read "New York says that Avatar is bad".  Or "The District of Columbia says...."

The Vatican didn't have great things to say about Harry Potter, either, at least in years past.

I thought the odder story was the various authors and blogs complaining that Avatar is based on racist themes, of a white man "saving" natives.  Of course, that neglects that it's the native that kills the villain at the end of the movie, and that it's really nature that saves the day, rather than a human.

Also, one wonders what would have happened if a black actor had morphed into a native in the movie.  I can already picture the blogs complaining about how an African-American actor was being portrayed as something subhuman and quasi-animal.  It's impossible to win with some crowds.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2010, 10:37:26 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Kind of makes Catholicism seem like an insecure girlfriend there.

"Yeah I guess the bartender is hot if you're into that kind of girl."

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2010, 10:48:06 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

The Vatican didn't have great things to say about Harry Potter, either, at least in years past.

I thought the odder story was the various authors and blogs complaining that Avatar is based on racist themes, of a white man "saving" natives.  Of course, that neglects that it's the native that kills the villain at the end of the movie, and that it's really nature that saves the day, rather than a human.

Also, one wonders what would have happened if a black actor had morphed into a native in the movie.  I can already picture the blogs complaining about how an African-American actor was being portrayed as something subhuman and quasi-animal.  It's impossible to win with some crowds.

Unfortunately there will never be a lack of intelligent, enterprising people willing to apply their brain power to twisting plots/story lines/substances of movies, (or other forms of entertainment), into fitting an agenda or propaganda line, regardless of the original intent. The ambiguities of most areas of society allow for the perversion of even the most benign of subject matter, and many are willing to oblige ... sadly.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2010, 10:59:45 PM »

Offline stoyko

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 77
Visually stunning but I found the plot and character development woefully lacking. The dialogue was laughably bad and while "Dancing with Wolves" with aliens is an apt description, it discredits a fair superior film in the process. It was a spectacle in 3D and the art direction is to be lauded. The overall film was an overwhelming meh. B minus and thats generous.
NJ Nyets.
A.Iguodala,Nene,A. Brooks, H. Warrick, ,C.Delfino,MoWilliams,Nick Collison,Reggie Williams, T. Douglas, E. Barron,Q. Ross,James Anderson, Jeff Pendergraph

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2010, 12:28:48 AM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I loved it.  Thoroughly entertained, and extremely impressed with how real and incredible it was.

To give anyone that hasn't seen it a real sense of how amazing the world Cameron created is.... there are literally dozens of people out there that are experiencing extreme depression and even thoughts of suicide because of how beautiful Pandora (the alien world) is and knowing they can never live there.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2010, 12:52:37 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I loved it.  Thoroughly entertained, and extremely impressed with how real and incredible it was.

To give anyone that hasn't seen it a real sense of how amazing the world Cameron created is.... there are literally dozens of people out there that are experiencing extreme depression and even thoughts of suicide because of how beautiful Pandora (the alien world) is and knowing they can never live there.

Hey, Big Ticket!! I've missed you, man! This is the first time I've seen your avatar for a long, long time! I truly hope you're back with us on a regular basis ... miss your input and unique viewpoint. Hope all is well with you and yours ... and here's a TP, just cuz it's so good to see you. ;)

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2010, 12:55:32 AM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.

Hey, Big Ticket!! I've missed you, man! This is the first time I've seen your avatar for a long, long time! I truly hope you're back with us on a regular basis ... miss your input and unique viewpoint. Hope all is well with you and yours ... and here's a TP, just cuz it's so good to see you. ;)

Hey there... did I ever get back to that message you sent me in October?  I though I did but my outbox is empty.

I'll try to be around off and on.  Unfortunately I don't have too much real insight to add these days, no time for watching basketball as much as I'd like to.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2010, 01:25:37 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Hey there... did I ever get back to that message you sent me in October?  I though I did but my outbox is empty.

I'll try to be around off and on.  Unfortunately I don't have too much real insight to add these days, no time for watching basketball as much as I'd like to.

Sorry to hear that you don't get to watch many hoops ... I was in the Philippines last year, and had similar pangs of withdrawal. But I assume that means you're busy, and that often is for a greater purpose ... I hope it is such, and I hope things are good for you. Yes, I PM'd you when I got back this fall and you replied, that was the last I saw you until today ... a very pleasant surprise, my friend. ;)

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2010, 01:31:33 AM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.

Sorry to hear that you don't get to watch many hoops ... I was in the Philippines last year, and had similar pangs of withdrawal. But I assume that means you're busy, and that often is for a greater purpose ... I hope it is such, and I hope things are good for you. Yes, I PM'd you when I got back this fall and you replied, that was the last I saw you until today ... a very pleasant surprise, my friend. ;)

Thanks man.... busy, and just not so much online foruming these days.  At least not as much about bball.  Been a pretty rough new year and end to 2009 so hopefully the good people at CB can cheer me up  :) .

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2010, 01:54:39 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Thanks man.... busy, and just not so much online foruming these days.  At least not as much about bball.  Been a pretty rough new year and end to 2009 so hopefully the good people at CB can cheer me up  :) .

We'll do our best, Bra ... more TP's if you keep coming back. ;)

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2010, 11:23:57 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Kind of makes Catholicism seem like an insecure girlfriend there.

"Yeah I guess the bartender is hot if you're into that kind of girl."

HA! Good one.

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2010, 11:30:00 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

For the record I'm Catholic as all heck, but this just struck me funny and you're absolutely right...sometimes you just can't win.

I sorta had this Family Guyesque vision of the Pope and a cardinal doing the Siskel and Ebert thing with an accent saying "Iiiii did nuht a like eett.. I give it 2 holy thumbs down." 

and the Cardinal saying "I didn't like it either.  It was kinda preachy. I give it three crosses down and an unhappy chalice face!"

The Vatican ought to stop acting Holier than Thou.
(I really wanted to say that. I plaigerized it from a college roommate that wondered aloud if the cardinals ever say that about the Pope privately.)

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2010, 05:27:48 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Funny thing today.  Mrs. eja was like "Did you hear the Vatican really doesn't like Avatar" and I said yeah.

Then she says "Now I want to see it."

I guess if I tell her it's also been accused of being racist she'll circle a date on the calendar

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2010, 06:14:59 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I don't know - all the major alien characters were just CGI-skinned black or Native American actors, and I haven't heard anyone complaining about that.

I really liked the movie, but anything this successful always gets overanalyzed to death.  I did think it was funny that the plot can be summarized as "white guy joins the tribe, in 3 months learns to do everything better than them, their hottest, highest-status female falls in love with him, and then he becomes their leader and teaches them to stand up for themselves. Oh and he quasi-rapes two pterodactyls along the way."  But you really have to stretch to get offended by something like that.