Author Topic: OKC announcer suspended 1 game for offensive comment  (Read 16029 times)

Re: OKC announcer suspended 1 game for offensive comment
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2018, 07:02:53 AM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Regardless of the origin of the term, regardless of how the term is used to day, there are definitely tones of racism in a saying like that. A slave that wanted to escape the plantation was said to have a mental illness called "drapetomania" (which has since been debunked of course). That slave was essentially out of his/her "cotton-picking mind".

In this social climate a 1 game suspension is appropriate. Clearly the announcer didn't mean anything offensive, but sayings like that in general shouldn't be said in a basketball setting.

« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2018, 08:20:48 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I always thought of it as an old sayingaused as a substitute for swearing and never considered it racist. I guess it must be of southern origin and probably started as a slight to slaves. Still, over 300 years later, does it really mean the same thing?

this is kinda where im at.  Ive heard the phrase a ton of times over the years whether it be someone saying it or hearing it on tv.  Its one of those things you just never think of the meaning behind it, its just a saying people have said
Yeah, I am pretty sure the first time I heard it was on television, like a Bugs Bunny cartoon or an old western movie or something like that.

Yeah, TP - totally Bugs Bunny. I was coming on here to write exactly the same thing.

This is the type of situation that makes conservatives hate liberals even more. I get being PC, but this seems like the stretchiest of stretches.
Lol this isn't liberal vs conservative...

Of course it is, but all I was saying is that most liberals aren't offended by this at all, but a large portion of conservatives will assume they were. They will roll their eyes and talk to each other about how sensitive liberals are to everything in this overly-PC culture and then continue on about how liberals want to give welfare to all illegals, etc.

« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2018, 10:07:39 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Nothing offensive about it...methinks some people are just too [dang] thin-skinned and search for stupid reasons to be offended

« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2018, 10:16:58 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
In this social climate a 1 game suspension is appropriate. Clearly the announcer didn't mean anything offensive, but sayings like that in general shouldn't be said in a basketball setting.

This thought process (shared by tens of millions) scares me.

Being punished without fault because of mob outcry is exactly what our Constitution aims to prevent. The guy “only” loses his paycheck due to the media / social media lynch mob.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2018, 10:28:42 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Being punished without fault because of mob outcry is exactly what our Constitution aims to prevent. The guy “only” loses his paycheck due to the media / social media lynch mob.
Exactly, that was what I was referring to in my Cultural Revolution PRC/Qing dynasty comparison.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2018, 10:31:18 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

What do you mean without fault? There are 5 pages of posts here where people are arguing back and forth about said fault. I understand if you are not offended. I am not offended. That doesn't mean that I don't think people (namely black people) have the right to be offended by it. The guy has the right to make such a statement, then the "mob" has the right to judge him on it.

I don't care about suspensions or anything like that. I just care that broadcasters aren't saying stupid things on the broadcast. Regardless of the intent, it was a dumb move to make that comment, considering that it brought a whole lot more attention to "slavery" and "cotton" than the actual basketball game being played.

« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2018, 10:51:33 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

What do you mean without fault? There are 5 pages of posts here where people are arguing back and forth about said fault. I understand if you are not offended. I am not offended. That doesn't mean that I don't think people (namely black people) have the right to be offended by it. The guy has the right to make such a statement, then the "mob" has the right to judge him on it.

I don't care about suspensions or anything like that. I just care that broadcasters aren't saying stupid things on the broadcast. Regardless of the intent, it was a dumb move to make that comment, considering that it brought a whole lot more attention to "slavery" and "cotton" than the actual basketball game being played.

The person I responded to noted “Clearly the announcer didn’t mean anything offensive”. That’s pretty self-explanatory.

And people who claim “offense” when no offense was meant are people who should be disregarded, not validated.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2018, 10:54:26 AM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton

Well this isn't a government/constitutional issue. All of the outcries of protest stem from the same freedom of speech privileges that granted the announcer the right to say what he said. The NBA gets to choose how they handle situations that cause public outrage.

I don't see what's so scary about that. We've never lived in a world where you can say whatever you wanted with absolutely no pushback whatsoever.

« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2018, 10:56:50 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

The person I responded to noted “Clearly the announcer didn’t mean anything offensive”. That’s pretty self-explanatory.

And people who claim “offense” when no offense was meant are people who should be disregarded, not validated.

Agree- I think it is obvious as well. If the "intent defense" covered me every time I open my stupid mouth, I probably would never have to sleep on the couch....

« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2018, 11:02:08 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Well this isn't a government/constitutional issue. All of the outcries of protest stem from the same freedom of speech privileges that granted the announcer the right to say what he said. The NBA gets to choose how they handle situations that cause public outrage.

I don't see what's so scary about that. We've never lived in a world where you can say whatever you wanted with absolutely no pushback whatsoever.
So I assume that you're fine with the Colin Kaepernick situation then. 

« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2018, 11:07:17 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

I'm fine with Kaep. He voiced his concerns, and is paying the price. While I happen to think it is silly that people are more focused on kneeling than *children* getting shot, I think NFL teams have the right not to sign him. I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think that he will win a blackballing case against the league.

Kaep will write a book or two, make some money, and in due time, he will be old enough to not validate a contract. While I do believe he is as good as mostly every backup QB, I'm not going to come out and say that he should definitely have a job. He's just not that good....

« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2018, 11:15:11 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I didn’t say it was a Constitutional issue. I said that our Constitution aims to prevent things like this, which it does. Due Process, habeas corpus, no ex post facto laws, freedoms reserved to the people: they’re all about fundamental fairness. We have inherent rights to life, liberty and property.

The Framers were never okay with somebody who enjoyed Constitutional Protection being deprived of a paycheck without a fair process and notice.  They just never figured America would turn into a society where money was taken out of somebody’s pockets despite no wrongdoing.

« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2018, 11:21:13 AM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton

If the NFL owners feel that his kneeling will be a detriment to their team then they have every right to do what they feel is best for their franchise. So looking at the situation objectively I think it's fine.

Personally, I feel like his message was being deliberately misconstrued and taken out of context so people could ignore the real issues he was trying to bring attention to, but we can't all have it our way.

« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2018, 11:25:26 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

I didn’t say it was a Constitutional issue. I said that our Constitution aims to prevent things like this, which it does. Due Process, habeas corpus, no ex post facto laws, freedoms reserved to the people: they’re all about fundamental fairness. We have inherent rights to life, liberty and property.

The Framers were never okay with somebody who enjoyed Constitutional Protection being deprived of a paycheck without a fair process and notice.  They just never figured America would turn into a society where money was taken out of somebody’s pockets despite no wrongdoing.

"No wrongdoing". I think this is the point where we disagree. I'm not saying that it was blatantly racist. I'm saying that the broadcaster said something that was both dumb and tone-deaf. I'm not sure if that qualifies for a suspension or not.

I find it interesting that some of us know of the framers' intentions. I can blatantly say that I have no idea what they were thinking about. I've read historical accounts of the Philadelphia Convention, but I won't use similar texts as gospel.

I hear this line of thinking often, especially regarding the 2nd Amendment. How can we emphatically say that we know what these people were thinking about? As time goes on, we are able to see that our written history has shown inconsistencies.

« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2018, 11:25:56 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Personally, I feel like his message was being deliberately misconstrued and taken out of context so people could [claim offense and act like petulant children]

That pretty much describes the entirety of the SJW game plan.