Author Topic: Before jumping on the Bender hype train review....  (Read 27898 times)

Re: Before jumping on the Bender hype train review....
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2016, 10:30:01 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Is his defense really as good as that Draftexpress strengths made it out to be?

Bender doesn't look as athletic in some other videos. Did not look impressive (athletically on defense) in that u-18s video that was posted in the other thread.

I've seen him stay in front of guards on drives. While these guards are likely not as athletic as NBA guards, that's still pretty impressive.

Is it impressive to see a 7'1 pf get pushed around by players half his size?

No, I'd say that's one of his few weaknesses. Even the best of prospects have weaknesses.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2016, 10:31:46 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Triboy, give it a rest man. These insanely compulsive posts are sucking the fun out of this board. If you can't stop I hope the mods take some sort of action because I'd really like to read something that isn't your opinion at this point.

its a scouting video by draftexpress.  Since we have little to go by (since he doesn't get mins to play) ,  these videos are like gold

Going to be hilarious when they draft him in a month. You will probably want him to fail...

I won't. But I hope it doesn't come to that

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2016, 10:34:20 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I'm confident DA can work a trade for Oakfor . 

I'm not conceding to us taking Bender

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2016, 10:36:20 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Some of you are laughable how much you defend this kid even though there are glaring red flags.  News flash:  it's ok to have a negative opinion about a player :angel:

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2016, 10:38:46 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Video, Shmideo...it's ALL gonna come down to his workouts here.

Porzingas Killed his pre-draft workouts last year.

because of one workout??  Danny is not that dumb

WorkoutS ...He's gonna be working out for a few teams....word gets around.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2016, 10:49:18 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Sabonis :)

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2016, 10:57:34 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Some of you are laughable how much you defend this kid even though there are glaring red flags.  News flash:  it's ok to have a negative opinion about a player :angel:

No one said it wasn't. Blind hatred and incessant vitriol is annoying, though.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2016, 11:06:52 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I mentioned this Weakness Video a few days ago, Triboy making a bigger deal out of it than me, although I did feel it was concerning.  Not sure when it was filmed. Some of the video seemed kind of old.  Also, DE Weakness videos make pretty much every player suspect. That is the point; to show their weaknesses. We could put together a tape of some bad sequences of LBJ that would make you think he should not be in the NBA.  But all the same, good to get it out there, dissect it and argue about it.  Most curious thing is that DE has Bender ranked 3rd in the draft.  So I wonder how much stock that Givony even puts into it.

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2016, 11:10:38 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
What about his strengths?

that he can make the three once in a while??  So can Jerebko.  That he can handle the ball? (yet can't get all the way to the basket alot of times).    That he can defend? (yet gets pushed around, even by players half his height)

He doesn't do one thing well.  Basically he is 7 ft player, has length (no explosion) and can do some thing a SF can. But not one thing exceptional a good SF is able to do.   Lacks natural strength.   How certain are we, he can add 20-30 pounds?   

HE's barely 18 and lacks natural strength??  The thing you seem most critical of is the thing that he is most likely to improve over the next couple of years as he becomes a man. Build strength. 

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2016, 11:16:41 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Lol of course you only posted the weaknesses video.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2016, 11:17:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I mentioned this Weakness Video a few days ago, Triboy making a bigger deal out of it than me, although I did feel it was concerning.  Not sure when it was filmed. Some of the video seemed kind of old.  Also, DE Weakness videos make pretty much every player suspect. That is the point; to show their weaknesses. We could put together a tape of some bad sequences of LBJ that would make you think he should not be in the NBA.  But all the same, good to get it out there, dissect it and argue about it.  Most curious thing is that DE has Bender ranked 3rd in the draft.  So I wonder how much stock that Givony even puts into it.

During the strength highlight clips.  There is not one thing Givony states bender is exceptional at.  No deadly shooter.  No deadly shooting touch.  Unstoppable.  Very Strong.  Explosive etc The word "High efficient"  was never mentioned

Jack of all trades type of players are nice to have on the team.  But you don't need to use a #3 pick on this type of player.  Even if he is 7'1 and has some sf skills.   

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2016, 11:24:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
What about his strengths?

that he can make the three once in a while??  So can Jerebko.  That he can handle the ball? (yet can't get all the way to the basket alot of times).    That he can defend? (yet gets pushed around, even by players half his height)

He doesn't do one thing well.  Basically he is 7 ft player, has length (no explosion) and can do some thing a SF can. But not one thing exceptional a good SF is able to do.   Lacks natural strength.   How certain are we, he can add 20-30 pounds?   

HE's barely 18 and lacks natural strength??  The thing you seem most critical of is the thing that he is most likely to improve over the next couple of years as he becomes a man. Build strength.

You think adding strength without hampering mobility/athleticism is an easy thing to do?

easier said than done.   Many skinny frontcourt prospects/players weren't able to stick around/make little impact.

Bender current situation somewhat resembles with what happened with  Miličić , Tskitishvili, Kwame Brown prior to draft, 1st few seasons in the NBA

these three were not exceptional in one aspect of the game.  Just "potential" "potential" "potential".   

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2016, 11:31:01 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
So yes it is worth remembering what he has to work on as well. When he comes for a workout there will be 2 weaknesses that he will have to have shown growth in my opinion.

1) shot mechanics - he has improved his percentages year on year but has he improved the quickness of his release? Also can he show the ability to implement advice during the workout?

2) strength - has he shown improvement in that are over the course of the year? Doesn't need to be at the end goal but a desire to have moved forward in that area

It's important to remember that these videos were from November so he will have come on since then.

I'm less concerned by the rebounding and rim protection at this stage as both of those follow on from the increase in strength. His lack of polish in the post bothers me less because there are fewer prospects his age that have that, those that do have usually developed it at the expense of range or defence which are 2 things Bender has worked on.

All the prospects at #3 will have to show improvement as well. Hield will need to show some ball handling and foot speed, he needs something that he can progress further on if he is to be considered. Murray needs to show a willingness to defend and some better foot speed otherwise he's a walking sieve.

Still a few weeks til we'll start to get answers to that unfortunately

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2016, 11:41:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
So yes it is worth remembering what he has to work on as well. When he comes for a workout there will be 2 weaknesses that he will have to have shown growth in my opinion.

1) shot mechanics - he has improved his percentages year on year but has he improved the quickness of his release? Also can he show the ability to implement advice during the workout?

2) strength - has he shown improvement in that are over the course of the year? Doesn't need to be at the end goal but a desire to have moved forward in that area

It's important to remember that these videos were from November so he will have come on since then.

I'm less concerned by the rebounding and rim protection at this stage as both of those follow on from the increase in strength. His lack of polish in the post bothers me less because there are fewer prospects his age that have that, those that do have usually developed it at the expense of range or defence which are 2 things Bender has worked on.

All the prospects at #3 will have to show improvement as well. Hield will need to show some ball handling and foot speed, he needs something that he can progress further on if he is to be considered. Murray needs to show a willingness to defend and some better foot speed otherwise he's a walking sieve.

Still a few weeks til we'll start to get answers to that unfortunately

I don't agree.  Murray is definitely a willing defender. His heart is in the right place. The question is, can he do a good job at it , at the nba level?   

Bender unfortunately had/has to ride the bench.  He is basically going to have only a few weeks to prepare for the workouts.   Doubt his body will be any different

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2016, 12:02:56 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
If Murray can't be an adequate  defender I have no interest in him.