Author Topic: Would you rather have 2 years of Kyrie or Collin Sexton  (Read 12170 times)

Re: Would you rather have 2 years of Kyrie or Collin Sexton
« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2019, 09:54:49 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
In Kemba's next three years, All-Star years, the years Kemba has been the player he currently is:

23.7/5.7/3.8  shooting 43.6/37.8/85.2 with a TS% 56.8%.

We made excuses for Kemba but regardless those are not efficient numbers.

Tried to cut out all the other stuff for simplicity, so if I'm taking your response out of context let me know, but are you calling those numbers inefficient?  Any TS% above the league average I'd consider efficient, regardless of what the individual splits are.

What do you think efficient numbers would be?
For high volume it needs to be much better or he needs to give the ball up.

If people are right and he becomes a better distributor than you can live with his current numbers. He needs to at least be were Irving was with the C's at disturbing (not asking for higher shooting give Walker's career) he can't be what he was with the Hornets or we will be in worse shape than we were with Irving.
Here are Kyrie's numbers and shooting splits the 4 years before coming to the Celtics

22/5.5/3.3 shooting 45.6/38/87.7 with a TS% of 56.2%

Here is Kemba's the three year before he got to Boston:

23.7/5.7/3.8  shooting 43.6/37.8/85.2 with a TS% 56.8%.

Almost identical. If Kyrie could improve his scoring, passing and shooting numbers because of the talent around him and Stevens' offense, if IT could do the same and have one of the best Celtic offensive season's ever with the talent around him and Stevens' offense, I see no reason to not expect Kemba to do the same.
Irving was pretty solid. Clearly a better shooter and more experience but there was a difference in the past roles coming in, I dont know if that is a plus or negative in this case. There is a history of BS getting good play out of scoring guards here. But in the same vein sometimes these scoring guards tried to do too much and the team offense went south.
You say clearly a better shooter as if Kemba's TS% wasn't slightly higher. Kyrie is a better 3P shooter and from the field, but Kemba's ability to get to the line more than makes up for it in terms of actual pressure put on the defence.
Kyrie obviously had LeBron, but put him by himself on that Charlotte team and I imagine they do similarly well, if not worse (due to durability, not talent).

IT tried to do too much because he had very little offensive firepower around him (sort of similar to Kemba). Kyrie tried to do too much because he has an ego the size of the moon and (to a certain extent rightly, but he took it too far) thought nobody else on this team could score like him.

I think Kemba will be able to recognise that he doesn't have to do it all every night. That certainly seems to be a key reason behind him wanting to join us
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)